brass bushings / string guides

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by pshupe, Jun 21, 2021.

1. pshupe

pshupe Tele-Meister

I am looking for some string guides or bushings for my Moderne build. I know of one source for exactly what I need. I'm wondering if anyone may have some suggestions on where to get something similar. I am looking for these - They are 1/4" diameter brass with a countersunk hole and a groove for the string.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I can't really seem to find anything similar except for the one source. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have a mini mill in their garage? upload_2021-6-21_9-31-57.gif

Cheers Peter.

That Cal Webway and vhilts1 like this.
  2. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Friend of Leo's

If you have a drill press you can probably make them. Get some 1/4" solid brass rod. Cut a short piece, say 1 inch and chuck it up in the drill press. Turn on the drill press and use the side of a metal file to cut a small groove in the side of the brass. (Shouldn't take long). Then it is a matter of drilling a small hole the length of the piece of rod and a counter sink. A good drill press vice will help. You could try brass tubing but the walls are usually pretty thin.

Or do the same thing with these computer standoffs. Easier to hold in the drill press and come predrilled most of the way through.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00213KL5I/?tag=tdpri-20

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  3. pshupe

pshupe Tele-Meister

Never thought of that. I could give it a try. My friend has offered me his mini-mill as well, so maybe I should just go that route. I would hate to develop and enjoyment for milling though! LOL. This guitar building thing has cost me a substantial sum! ;) Thanks for opening my eyes.

Cheers Peter.

4. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

I used the little ferrules on the end of guitar strings
    i had to file a hair out of the hole on some for the screw to fit (and find small screws.l
    6 every time u change strings free

ctmullins likes this.
  5. Beebe

Beebe Tele-Meister

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    pshupe likes this.
  6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Know anyone with a metal lathe and some brass round stock?

old wrench likes this.
  7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting timing - in a concurrent thread the poster wants to put some "string butlers" on his Vee. Most people thought he was talking about string trees but SixStringSlinger posted a picture that looks pretty much like yours.

8. pshupe

pshupe Tele-Meister

Thank you.

- I think the ferrules at the end of strings would be way too small. You need screws to fit inside them and don't think the string would stay on them as the are way to thin as well. I want them to be somewhat similar to the picture above.

- brass thumb nut may work. I think the M4 x 8 x 6 could work well. I might try and modify these to work.

- my buddy would lend me his mini-mill but I'm not sure I would have the time to figure it all out. This may be an option though.

- Yes I saw that. I know of the string butler but those are more expensive than the one source.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have ordered some M4s as they were cheap. I will contact that source to see if I can get a set or two for my current build. Might grab my buddies mill and see if I can turn some 1/4" stock. It seems most big box stores stock 1/4" brass bar / rod.

Cheers Peter.

If anyone else finds something closer please let me know.

9. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

A metal lathe is the right machine :).

Chuck up the round stock, bore the hole, cut the countersink and the groove, then part off the finished piece.

Repeat three more times - bing, bing, bing, and you're done with a four piece set ;).

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

If you can't find brass rod, look for brass nuts and bolts in the hardware section.

11. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I will send you some bass string ball-ends for free. 5mm across.

upload_2021-6-21_21-17-51.jpeg

If that interests you, PM me.

12. pshupe

pshupe Tele-Meister

Thanks - I can probably just buy some bass string sets. I got the quote from Reverb. It's gonna be $110 for 8 pieces. That's a lot of Bass string sets. ;-) Are all the ends the same size? Thanks again.

Cheers Peter.

13. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Not sure I understand - you want to spend $110 instead of getting some for free?

Yes, they’re all the same size. Just like guitar strings, only bigger.

14. pshupe

pshupe Tele-Meister

I was saying I will just buy some bass strings. The $110 was the quote from Reverb for the brass string guides. I commented that I could buy a lot of bass strings for $110.

I'll shoot you a PM thanks. I do probably need them quicker than snail mail from the USA though, so I'll probably see if I can buy a cheap set of bass strings and use those for this one guitar.

Cheers Peter.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    ctmullins likes this.
  15. peterg

peterg Tele-Meister

Maybe a local guitar shop service department can give you some old bass strings? Just my cheap SOB mind at work.

pshupe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.