Brass bushings on split shaft pots?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by AbleMob, Jul 30, 2021.

1. AbleMob

AbleMob TDPRI Member

Has anyone tried those adapter bushings for pots that allow you to use knobs meant for solid shaft? There is only about .35 mm difference in the diameter of the split shaft and the solid one, and I have a hard time seeing the wall thickness of the bushing being that thin. This would solve a lot of issues in my builds because of the difficulties sometimes in finding solid shaft pots that match the specs I like. I prefer the set screw type knobs, and there is also the issue of the fine or coarse thread spline compatibility with a lot of the push on knobs

Boreas and Timbresmith1 like this.
  2. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

If you mean knobs with a set screw, I just line the set screw up with the slot of the shaft and tighten. That spreads the split shaft slightly and wedges the shaft tight to the knob. No adaptor needed.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    aging_rocker and Coffeemutt like this.
  3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

The adapters from Allparts work well for me. Better than trying to film flam it.

Buckocaster51 and Timbresmith1 like this.
  4. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Used to use them frequently. They work great.

5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

The brass bushings use 1/4" tubing that is .17mm thick and they work perfectly in the correct application.

16276630094926871767383302859936.jpg

But I have had split shaft pots that were too big for the bushings, or maybe it was set screw knobs that were smaller than 1/4", can't remember which.

AbleMob likes this.
  6. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I put a strip of aluminum in the slot & crank down the allen screw. it allows me to position the screw where ever I want

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I use diagonal cutters to snip a little square from a 1mm thick guitar pick.

The little square fits snugly into the slot and allows me to place the knob's set screw anywhere on the split shaft with no concerns about the screw breaking one of the split halves.

8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

They work fine for me so long as I don't tighten the set screw too much (and if you're tightening the set screw enough to cause problems with the little brass adapters, you're tightening the set screw too much, period).

One interesting problem I had using new split-shaft pots on my Reverend (and keeping the original knobs, which were on solid-shaft pots) was that the brass adapter was too short to reach the set screw on those particular knobs. I fixed that by just stacking two adapters per pot. That and making sure the knobs didn't sit right on the body worked like a charm.

9. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Afflicted

From personal experience, they work (really not much more I can add).

Ron C likes this.
  10. AbleMob

AbleMob TDPRI Member

Unfortunately that makes them wobble. The set screw pushes the knob to one side of the shaft, making it eccentric.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  11. AbleMob

AbleMob TDPRI Member

Thank You-the caliper photo is very helpful and answered my question perfectly!

12. stratisfied

Sure. If you mount a dial indicator you might even be able to measure the run-out you imagine is there.

13. AbleMob

AbleMob TDPRI Member

Thanks Stratisfied with your expertise on eccenctric set screw knobs on split shaft pots and also with your incredible insights on 22 fret vs. 21 fret necks! I so look forward to your wisdom as you troll my future posts! Best.

14. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use them quite a bit. Work well. I line the set screw up with the split so the screw indents the bushing a little. This keeps it from slipping, and you don't have to over-tighten.

AbleMob likes this.
  15. stratisfied

I'll try t

No problem. I'll try to keep 'em coming but it's tough being the voice of reason sometimes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.