1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brass and no more mint

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Sceeter, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

Are those Wilkinson saddles? I ordered some for a project that look like those, and noticed they are compensated different from each other, but there’s no instructions with them. What order are they supposed to go in?

Treehouse likes this.
  2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I'd ditch the mint too

3. Sceeter

Sceeter TDPRI Member

The one that is different goes in the middle.

Bryan A, LutherBurger and Treehouse like this.
  4. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

It looks great. I've been on the fence about changing out my mint green pg for black also. Now that I've seen how good it looks, I just might do that.

Sceeter likes this.
  5. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Really Nice!!
    Enjoy those bootstraps!! I’ve got a set of Original Recipes waiting for the Bullet to come...

Sceeter likes this.
  6. guitargeek

guitargeek TDPRI Member

Saddle material, in my opinion, makes a big difference. I went from brass to steel on my tele with gratifying results. It seems to brighten up my tele and give it more spank and sparkle which was my desired intent.

The brass, while it sounded good, was more muted and mellow. It just wasn't what I was going for. I always start with saddle swaps before pickup swaps. Often, it results in a lot of saved time and money.

That's a great looking tele, by the way.

7. Physicsguy

Physicsguy NEW MEMBER!

I recently went with the Stainless E-A, and brass everything else. I personally think it makes a huge difference in tone.

8. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Looks good

9. jdiego

jdiego Tele-Meister

I replaced the threaded saddles on my MIJ tele for Gotoh in-tune compensated saddles, because I was looking for better intonation and looks.

I thought it would darken the sound (make it warmer), but I think it has increased the top end.

Sometimes it's too ice picky... it's the only guitar where I have to use the tone knob a lot, which is strange, but more versatile

10. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

I put a set of those on a CV Thinline. Set the intonation with a good pedal tuner and it was the difference of night and day even before I put it through an amp. That guitar sounded plinky before. Not now.

11. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
    I think that brass compliments the sunburst...
    I've done the same things to some of my guitars over the years...I have to keep that brass idea in mind...as you, I keep that bottom line...it was worth it to me...
    Nice job...let us know when the new electronics are in.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  12. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
    Wrong...order?

13. Sceeter

Sceeter TDPRI Member

Yes, they are compensated saddles and I assumed like an ass that they would be in the package in the order they get installed, but they weren't. But it's all good because I fixed it.

bls82261 likes this.
  14. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Late to this thread but really like that black PG on the CVC. I've considered the same for mine but never got around to doing it. Brass compensated saddles work well - I have used them several times and always liked them.

15. MLHull

MLHull TDPRI Member

I never cared for mint green. It looks so much better now.

16. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Mint repro is usually overexaggerated and does look ridiculously "fake vintage." As a color, mint goes with nothing.

17. Shiloh77

Shiloh77 TDPRI Member

Love that color. I changed to brass saddles recently on my 2008 vintage modified telecaster custom, and I have a Squier deluxe hot rails strat, that I'm gonna put brass saddles on it N a brass tremlo block.. Here is a pic of her..

Attached Files:

18. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

mines got 6 brass saddles on it. night n day to the stock
    pot metal abominations....and its a topload affinity.
    had an JV tele yrs ago...kept skinning knuckles on old style bridge and 3 saddles meant intonation was hit n miss...as for mint green pickguards...i dont like em...i think they make a guitar look cheap...
    my tele hasnt got a pickguard on it..strat pup in neck with a cream cover looks nice on BSB.
    got 2 guitars that had mint green...hodson surfcats...both modded and refinished ...sprayed the pickguards with some really good black paint i swiped from work....it doesnt flake off...bullet hard finish and looks much more refined..(one walnut stained...humbucker size p90s in it..other black with HS filtertrons...you would never guess that they were 100 quid guitars...(actually...got 2 for price of one...first one had a slight flaw in body...they sent me another guitar and told me to keep the first one...both totally different..one has a big chunky neck the other really slim...both play very nicely

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.