Brand new WGS G10C/S buzzing/vibrating on low notes; what gives?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RoscoeElegante, Jul 28, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

The TSA15H it serves, or hopes to, can be pretty shrill. So even with the apparent coil rub and being brand new, it really sweetens its amp.

ponce likes this.
  2. RoscoeElegante

The Silvertone guts, chassis and all, are gone. Sitting on my dresser, in fact, where it looks like the Joker's part of Gotham City. I just put the TSA15H head on the chassis shelf and went from there. So it's a pseudo new amp/re-purposing, in that I didn't use any components from the Silvertone except its furniture. I'm even removing its grille, as that will rattle. Gotta drill a speaker wire hole, too.

schmee likes this.
  3. RoscoeElegante

I'm okay if the flubbing is inherent in that it will be my mellow-tones amp, for sure, and thus rarely pushed. Fits the aura of the handsome and modest-sized old floor radio, and its glowing dial (which I'll faux-electrify with a little battery-powered light). I have three other stompers on hand for my raucous moods: an Excelsior Pro, AC15C1, and '73 Bandmaster Reverb rigged to a 2x12. Also, I was impressed by how dead quiet the TSA15H + G10C/S was at mellow levels, so I hope to close-mic record with it.

Will see if the steps taken work okay, and also run the head into a different speaker of similar efficiency to see if flub is head-generated or speaker-caused.

Thanks, all, for your thoughts and suggestions.

Milspec likes this.
  4. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

This may be a long shot compared to some type of coil rub as the origin of your noise, but I can say that the very first new speaker I ever bought, unboxed and installed had a low-frequency buzz. Before I tried to return it I carefully shook the speaker from side to side and heard something loose rattling under the dust cap. I slit the edge of the dust cap a mm above the glue line with the cone and a solid piece of glue squeeze-out that had broken free of the cone and cap fell out. I reglued the dust cap and have been using the speaker without trouble since.

Though in hindsight it seems I really should have just returned it. I don't remember why I was so impatient. Good luck

King Fan, Milspec and RoscoeElegante like this.
  5. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I had a very similar experience with a Weber speaker last year. I too had bought it nearly a year before I actually used it in the amp and realized it had a problem (and its been at least another six months now). Mine produced a light, but unpleasant, distorted buzzing on certain bass notes and any other speaker in the same amp did not so I decided it must be the speaker. I can feel no rubbing when I gently move the cone and there is definitely nothing loose on or in the speaker itself so I believe it must have been defective from the factory. I have been meaning to contact Weber support about it to see what they say and maybe try to talk them into comping me a recone kit or something (I don't expect them to replace the speaker after this much time has passed). There is a lesson in there somewhere about testing everything soon after you get it I suppose.

RoscoeElegante and Milspec like this.
  6. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  7. RoscoeElegante

Update:
    So I finally got this thing done: An Ibanez TSA15H where the radio's guts used to be, and the WGS G10/CS into a new baffle, with new speaker cloth. (Pix sometime this weekend.) Figured that since the speaker's warranty had long expired and playing through the speaker while it was face down seemed to fix the rub/flub sound, might as well.

Turned out great! NO rub/flub sound at all. And what a great combination this head and speaker are. Maybe it's the distortions of pride since I "built" the thing, but it's my best-sounding amp. Sweet, rich, deep, three-dimensional. The 10" speaker is my smallest one, as my AC15 has a 12", my home-made Bandmaster Reverb cab is 2 x 12", and the Excelsior Pro has a 15". I expected this amp's 10" to be kinda beamy and directional. But it's just the opposite. Everyone hearing it says that it just seems to fill the room from an indefinite point. I've played a Tele, Strat, Gretsch baritone, and Les Paul through it, and it sounds great with all of them. It's true to each guitar's distinctness, in rich ways. The Tele cuts and its bass notes are re-bar firm, the Les Paul sings and growls, and the Strat gives velvet chimes. I can't imagine this thing sounding any better, but look forward to the speaker breaking in.

The TSA15H isn't all that loud, even at its 15watt setting, as a lot of users have noted. I'll use it for small gigs and recording--it's exquisitely quiet--but would want more umph on tap for any gig with a drummer and bassist. I can see why jazz players like it so much. Its cleans are crystal clear yet also very warm. It sounds like a very good vintage Deluxe Reverb in a nicely curtained room. I use it with the boost always on, skip the Tubescreamer circuit, with the treble at about 11 o'clock and the bass at noon. I often use the 5w setting, which is quite rich but just quieter, and run a reverb or delay pedal with it, on subtle settings. But it's so rich by itself that I find myself turning off all effects and just enjoying the purity of the amp.

A special meaning of this thing is that my now 15-yr.-old son proudly carved his name into it the very first day he had mastered the "h" in "Noah," and proudly showed his mom and me that he'd done so. He wanted to add to a family totem. And that, I found out just a few months ago, it was made for Silvertone in the old King Radio factory close to where I lived in Buffalo. I'd often walked by that now-forlorn place, wondering what pieces of America it had churned out.

Plus, I learned a lot about making a good baffle. This link really helped: I also had to figure out how to build a baffle-frame within the radio's shell, as the shell's contours did not host merely screwing a new baffle into place. A long dawdle of love.

I also had to re-learn, the hard, multi-cussing way, that you really gotta drill your speaker-holding screws' holes STRAIGHT.

Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions here.

8. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Are you gonna post a couple pictures of this thing ?? C'mon!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.