brake lite "vs" weber minimass

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by harphunt, Dec 2, 2018.

1. harphunt

harphunt TDPRI Member

Hello,

Trying to tame my AC30 at gig volumes and have settled on trying out one of these two. I have done an internet search ad-nauseum and am more confused than ever.

Weber can be used on different amps easily as it is a standalone. It uses a "speaker motor" to keep the tone intact. And, it is $100 dollars less than the Dr. Z unit.

The Brake lite mounts inside the amp box and is one less piece of gear to carry around and set up (although I could mount it to a board). It is $100 dollars more than the Weber.

Opinion seems to be evenly split... Any thoughts or first hand experience? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

peace

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Never used either of these specific attenuators but I did own two (2) Dr.Z full size 100 watt Airbrakes. I also owned a Rivera Rockcrusher.

The Rockcrusher was slightly better than the Airbrake (the Rockcrusher cost more). I mainly bought these attenuators to use with my non-master volume Marshalls.

I found that both attenuators took away the livelyness and articulation of the amp. Sold off my attenuators and realized that I preferred to use a good OD pedal and it’s volume control knob to get good low volume overdriven tones.

Run the pedals gain as needed (usually low) and use the pedals level knob to control the volume.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  3. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I don't have any experience with the Dr. Z but have used the Weber for quite a while. The amps I've used it with are a Boogie Mark V:25 and a Marshall. There is a noticeable difference in tone when using the attenuator but I believe most of that comes from the fact that you're not getting the sound of a speaker working hard and moving a lot of air. The impact seems to be in the highest frequencies. On the Weber there is a switch that attempts to compensate. Some of it must come from the loss of the direct relationship between the output transformer and the speaker..? In any case, I find it to be a good sounding, affordable, reliable solution.

4. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

I've had the Dr. Z Brake Lite and I currently have two Weber attenuators (MiniMASS 50 and a MASSLite 100) and a Fryette PS-2. The Brake Lite was okay (got it installed in a Dr. Z amp), but in my opinion, had nothing over the two Webers. Even though I have the PS-2, I still use the Webers on a couple of amps. I have a bunch of amps and use the PS-2 with three amps (via head/cab switch) and the Webers with two others.

5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Curious if the PowerStation is night and day better than the Weber's?

Especially at roughly $900 for the PS2 and $150 for the Weber.

6. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

My friend offered me a mini mass. Before I could pick it up I found and bought a brake lite for $130 used. I can't compare the two but, I use the brake lite in my 50 watt Marshall 2x12 combo and it's great. Easy to install. Doesn't take up a lot of space. Weighs about a pound so any added weight is not noticeable.

I get my Marshall to a decent clean tone and then if needed, I knock it down with the brake lite. I'm pleased, even at the highest attenuation. At that point, any perceived tone loss doesn't matter because I'm just jonesing to play and have to do it quietly.

7. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

I think the PS-2 is about $700, but that is still a lot of money. I'd say the PS-2 is better than the Weber at attenuation. Night and day? I'll say no but a lot of people will say yes. I don't know if I would say the PS-2 is worth it solely on that account, but factor in the effects loop, impedance matching, and power amp capabilities and it's a winner. If I didn't use those other features of the PS-2, I would be completely happy with the Webers.

gridlock likes this.
  8. harphunt

harphunt TDPRI Member

Thank you all for your input... Still undecided.

peace

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.