Brainy Simple Memorial

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by BluesBlooded, Aug 5, 2016.

1. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Andre,

Nice fix on the LP. It looks great.

I find myself drifting in and out of the desire to build guitars. Sometimes the enthusiasm is there, sometimes not. I do have 2 in progress that I do want to complete. One is the sister / brother of my main guitar. One day when I am dead and gone, I plan on leaving one of the pair to each of my sons. They don't need to ever play them, just a simple reminder of me. the other one is for my Swedish nephew. the first one I had built for him was stolen before he ever got it so I want to replace it.

I do have some others laying around that I will probably finish over time. Since I give away the guitars I build I don't need to worry about having them lay around. Though, that does bring up the issue of all the guitars and amps that I have bought and really don't have any use for or use. I need to sell them all off and get down to just 2 guitars and 1 amp. I also need to sell my sons drum kit. (He doesnt play anymore and if he takes it back up he can buy a new kit then)

I also want to build a new, better CNC. Not for any real reason or for any special use, just for the enjoyment of doing it.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the future! And glad you will be hanging around here. Obviously if you ever find yourself near Rochester give me a shout. You would always be welcome here.

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

BluesBlooded likes this.
  3. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

I was admiring the beautiful fix and refinish on the guitar, such that your conclusion caught me off guard. I totally respect the place you find yourself but will miss reading up and learning on your guitar threads & progress -- you'll have to keep us posted when building other things of interest!

BluesBlooded likes this.
  4. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Thank you Robert, building the CNC was quite an adventure that I really enjoyed. I think I like building tools as much as building guitars. I did use all my collections of French Canadian swear words. It was not an easy build to do but with your help and many others, I succeeded and have a top notch CNC machine. It's only drawback is the small size, but with the small shop I had it was perfect. Good luck with the new build if you go this way.

Thanks Mike, I'm happy with the color combos as well. I definitely do not miss the blue.

Thank you RiversQC, very nice of you to say so. I'll stay in touch!

mistermikev likes this.
  5. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Ha, yeah that’s fair; I’ll rephrase - sad for us!

Well this is as good a place as any to post up your new projects for feedback... if you are looking for innuendo, cat pictures, debates about annual build challenges, identification of inanimate objects...

6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Don't forget Mr. Yeknom...

7. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

That guitar looks great! Not much of a LP kinda guy, but I'd play that one.

I also can relate as I've built 5 or 6 guitars and you get to the point where you don't know what to do with them. My solution is to sell them off for cost and start on the next project. I have 3 more projects to do then after that I'll reevaluate... I still enjoy building guitars so who knows... Good luck on your future endeavers, I've enjoyed reading your threads.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

BluesBlooded likes this.
  8. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Well hell I looked forward to your builds :cry:

Will be watching to see what you come up with now:)

BluesBlooded likes this.
  9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hi Andre!
    I have recently come to the same conclusion as yourself re continuing to make guitars! When your playing is rubbish does one really need ,more guitars? (have about 12 already!) I used to play "lead" guitar in a pub band and when our drummer was "called up" to do National Service, we got a decent guitar player and I played the drums for about 20 years there after.

I built my wife's daughter a jewellery box for her birthday last year and enjoyed the process with a whole new set of problems to work on, and have continued with the boxes since. I have a 3/4 finished acoustic fitted with a piezo pickup and pre-amp which just requires a back and finishing which I will complete one day, but ATM happy just doing little boxes!

Enjoy your new direction!

DC

Mbechmann and BluesBlooded like this.
  10. BluesBlooded

Thanks Mat, these are the reason I'll still be hanging around.

Don't know if I'm the only one, but I think Mr Yeknom never found one of my threads. Probably lucky for me!

I thought for a while of selling guitars just to cover the cost of the hobby of building them, but the process of sanding/finishing is always such a pain for me that it ain't worth it. I would have fun only half of the time. I'm happy for you that you are still having fun building for others. It's a great satisfaction to see the end result.

Thanks Rich, I'll keep you all posted on my other projects.

Hi Dave, your rubbish playing must be better than mine, I never made it out of my house;).

Making anything out of our hand is always very satisfying, no matter what it is. I'm glad you are enjoying making boxes. Like you said, another set of problems to solve. I really think my new direction will not involve woodworking at all. My hearing is getting worse. Today I spent about an hour in the shop prepping the CNC for a potential buyer and although I wore ear protection, I had a lot of problems hearing my wife and other people all day after that. I see a direct correlation when subjected to noise and bad hearing days. I should order my 3D printer in the next week or so, That will be a new set of problems to work on without the noise.

John Nicholas and Mat UK like this.
  11. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Why do I have a feeling you won’t have to wait too much longer..?

John Nicholas and BluesBlooded like this.
  12. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hi Dave, your rubbish playing must be better than mine, I never made it out of my house;).

Making anything out of our hand is always very satisfying, no matter what it is. I'm glad you are enjoying making boxes. Like you said, another set of problems to solve. I really think my new direction will not involve woodworking at all. My hearing is getting worse. Today I spent about an hour in the shop prepping the CNC for a potential buyer and although I wore ear protection, I had a lot of problems hearing my wife and other people all day after that. I see a direct correlation when subjected to noise and bad hearing days. I should order my 3D printer in the next week or so, That will be a new set of problems to work on without the noise.[/QUOTE]

My last job before retirement was as Regional Tech Manager for Queensland here in OZ, hiring/and firing and training technicians and calibrating and repairing the test and clinical equipment. Been retired a few years now and have to tell you that great advances have been made in hearing aid design while reducing the physical size at the same time.

Go and have a hearing test and find out if aids will help. They don't work for some (very few) people but can make a huge difference if set up correctly for you hearing loss. My hearing is down but I have a major problem with tinnitus which is a constant noise in your head day and night 24/7 When I was a kid I thought everyone had it but I was wrong. Some totally deaf people have it which must make them feel double cursed, and some of my clients in the hearing service told me their background noise varies from a vacuum cleaner 24/7 to a Harley Davidson bike on full revs.

Glad I only have a high pitched multi frequency tone which varies plus or minus about 500hz either side of 4.8KHZ depending on whats been going on.

Most of the people I played with in bands suffer from tinnitus as well.

But..........go and have the tests done it may help!

DC

BluesBlooded and John Nicholas like this.
  13. BluesBlooded

Thanks Dave, I had a test and have hearing aid, but they are unpractical when I get in and out fo the shop all the time. So I dont wear them all the time like I should. With the change of hobby, I will get into the habit of putting them on when I get up instead of around supper time. Luckily, I do not suffer from chronic tinnitus.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    nickhofen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.