Brainy presents: A Double Neck Something

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by barbrainy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Since I got into this guitar making lark, I’ve had one particular ambition (well, two if you count world domination): to make an instrument for a Professional Musician.

I did not think this would occur as a direct result of a Professional Musician reading one of my ludicrous, self indulgent, boob-filled build threads on this very forum and then asking me to make him one. I thought it would occur only after I kidnapped, drugged and brainwashed a Professional Musician. But stranger things have happened......

Even more fortuitously, said Professional Musician was keen on a double neck instrument; a double neck something was also on my mental To Do List for instrument making. Double wizard!

So after plenty of chats – the PM is also a thoroughly nice bloke (triple wizard) – we arrived at something like this (only a rough mock up):

[​IMG]

4 string mando on top (based on Fender mando-strat spec); 24.5” scale guitar on the bottom.

As if my luck could not run out, we also tend to agree on pretty much everything about spec and wood types and whatnot, which resulted in me achieving another mental ambition: making an instrument solely out of English woods (because I am chronically xenophobic). Quadruple wizard! Here are the woods we have ended up with:

English Walnut (around 200 years old, grown locally to me: www.cottesbrooke.co.uk ) for the necks and body, all the same tree. A little ripple in the body (one piece). Yew for the fretboard (age unknown, grown in Cambridgeshire (a nearby county): www.nationaltrust.org.uk/anglesey-abbey most likely not the 2 500 year old Yew tree)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cos they are lovely woods, there will only be clear coats (satin nitro, maybe Tru Oil for back of neck). This should stop everyone picking on me for excessive refins. STOP PICKING ON ME. YOU BIG BULLIES.

Other spec: some sort of weird single coil pickups, vintage-ish winding/output, housed in humbucker covers that have been made into gold foil looking things but with black foil not gold. I'm thinking of making them like lipsticks are made.

Some super cool NOS WWII tank radio Bakelite knobs. Probably garolite PG to match.:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dual action truss rods in both necks; bolt on necks. Aluminium nuts.

Estimated finish date: [redacted]

2. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

And we're off
    Ladies and Gentlemen
    And Children of all ages
    Place your bets
    Year and month of Completion
    Aug 2016

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  3. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Ah, excellent. Looking forward to this.

4. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not a betting man, but that's going to be quite a Something.

5. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Subscribed, more boobs and knob jokes, whats not to like?

6. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

So is this: Double trouble?

Cant wait to see this one

7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

That walnut is brilliant, and those knobs are freakin' awesome!! This is going to be a stellar build.

8. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

Looking forward to this build! Not sure about world domination...

9. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lets see, I think that you will complete the build for a Christmas present. So that is the date that I'm choosing.

10. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

But which Christmas?!

11. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I was thinking the exact same thing. Which Christmas :D:D:D

Keep up the good work, Brainy. It will be good to watch this one coming together.

12. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

It's always fun to watch this lad start and keep building guitars... It's like a movie that you do not want to finish... It goes on and on :)

On a more serious note, that draft looks like dogs bollocks mate!

13. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Now, let me address some of those terribly hurtful comments.

1) It is not for Christmas (though I am simultaneously making something for someone for Christmas. Another electric ukulele like the Shockelele, but for a little lad I know who is wheelchair bound. That has to be done for Christmas, as it's his Christmas present. But I am already making good progress with that.)

2) There are no colour coats. It is almost always the colour coats that prompt the Infinite Refinishing Regression.

3) Sometimes I do finish guitars. The Firebird tenor is nearly there. Though in order to maintain universal balance, Thunderbird 2 has gone back into suspended animation. Because the second neck made for it is dead. And in pieces.

4) Coincidentally, when I have achieved World Domination, anyone found mocking my ability to complete an instrument will also be dead. And in pieces.

14. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

As possible my favourite comment ever, this warranted it's own reply.

It will definitely be like lopsided big titties but different. I promise.

15. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Wonderful! I've always been a huge fan of a great pair of most anything worth ogling after...:lol:

16. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

That is a nice design. Congrats on not kidnapping anyone and still be living the dream.

17. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think Metecem has officially named this project a few posts above. Or the DB guitar for short. I am assuming this is a complimentary expression?

18. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Yep, Metecem knows his crude English sayings, alright. Bollocks = bad. Dogs bollocks = great. I have no idea why. I don't know what us English folk think is so nice about dogs bollocks.

19. therealfindo

therealfindo Tele-Holic

Cool!
    BTW, I'm a professional musician... And you carved a body for me - Just an amateur guitarist though :p

20. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Of course, that is true! I have made a strat body for a Professional Australian Opera Singer (I mean the opera singing bit is the professional bit, though I am willing to bet you are a Fine Australian, too) living in Germany.

Probably not many amateur luthiers who can pop that on their imaginary amateur luthier CV....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.