Brainy Memorial: The Formaldehydecaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by I_build_my_own, Aug 1, 2016.

1. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

After reading the rules again, especially the fact that one can use current build, and that the deadline to finish was extended from 2026 to 2036, I concluded to participate. I am dedicating my Formaldehydecaster that I have started back in May this year - to Brainy's Memorial. With this deadline I should have a fair chance to complete, in fact, it might the only concerted TDPRI building initiative, that I will ever be able to attend and finish on time – see I didn’t use the word “challenge”.

Actually, the idea started back on Jan 15th when I stumbled on this packaging material at the lumber yard. When I told the friendly lumberyard fold what I am planning to do with it, they instantly pulled a clipper and cut the boards lose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have not done a good job in taking pictures so far and will do better, now that the build has an actual purpose. I will try to post these pictures in sequence except even though I “leaked ” one a while back on my Wolfie thread.

And here comes the first reference to Brainy. Back on March 23rd 2015 Brainy was caught owning an un-manly electric lawn mower. http://www.tdpri.com/threads/brainy-presents-the-shockelele.547112/page-10#post-6338265 . Aside the fact that it takes me forever to figure out the orientation of the top of a guitar, the most important part of this picture is my 220V electric lawn mower. Yes I am fessing up, I share Brainy’s soft spot for electric lawn mowers.

[​IMG]

2. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Is that a pile of that imported 5ft. by 5ft. ply?
    Go! Packaging O Caster Go! Love me some reclaimed wood.

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Baltic Birch! The king of plywoods! Well done, Helmut. (We will overlook the electric mower for now, at least!)

4. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

It has been unveiled! Go Helmut Go! I'm positive you can finish it before the 2036 deadline!

You are fine having an electric lawn mower, you have a very small yard! You could probably use scissors!

5. I_build_my_own

It definately is imported according to the packaging. 5feet times 2.545cm times 12 gets 1.527 meter. Yup that is 5ft x 5 ft boards

6. I_build_my_own

Will the electric lawn mower be held against me at an unpleasant moment when don't see it coming?

7. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Probably

frankencat likes this.
  8. R. Stratenstein

Perhaps. Whether or not it is switched on at the time it is held against you depends on how well (or badly) you behave! :eek:

9. 2blue2

But it still won't be plugged in because i mowed/cut thru the cord again! LOL!

10. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

I love to work with Birch Plywood. So many things you can do with it. This will be a great build Helmut.

11. R. Stratenstein

I wish there were a good local supplier of it here. At Home Depot your choices are wretched, sticky construction grade, then "cabinet grade " Birch (but not Baltic) ply, and something called "Sandeply" that smells funny when you saw it.

12. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

Electric mower aside, this is gonna look really cool with that big industrial "MADE IN RUSSIA" on it.

Eagerly awaiting the knobs commentary.

13. I_build_my_own

It was hard to pick the right spots for the top from the overall board. I also liked the words Birch or California or the "Compliat" with the typo. but I had to pick...

So here is the pick. This is going to be about the other half of the “book matched top”

[​IMG]

14. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Hey Helmut, have you notice that you joint the forum only one week after BBrainy did?

15. John Nicholas

It looks great in this position....

16. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome, I think Andy would get a kick out of all the random things being done in his honor.
    Looking forward to this build for sure!

17. I_build_my_own

Thanks. I will have to check if I can do a logo in that industrial marker style.

18. John Nicholas

19. 2blue2

I see the tele cutout but, Perhaps you can build it in an old 'Ural", 'Tonika', or 'Stella'' Soviet electric guitar style. Of course I'm just overthinkingit.

20. I_build_my_own

This is becoming the core body. German white spruce, got it ~ 37 years ago in Germany from an retired (at the time) carpenter. I think this is board could be considered a “first generation immigrant”. 37 years is a long wait, but ….

It is almost quarter sawn and I always wanted to use it for something acoustic-ish, but the size of the board and rings being too far apart, just didn’t lend itself for it. It seems very soft and dings just by looking at it. Now a soft & light spruce core combined with some much harder birch ply top (and probably back) seems to be a good combination to go with.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.