Brain Digestion

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

Last night, I read a book about valve electronics for several hours, until my brain threatened mutiny on the high seas of consciousness. So I finally put the book down.

Today, I have a stack of that sort of fare sitting next to me, and I was going to download and install LTSpice and peruse available oscilloscopes and variacs. Maybe order some metal film resistors and capacitors to replace carbon comps in strategic places.

But I find myself procrastinating and feeling intransigent about picking up one of those books today, or even doing the other things. Mrs. Steerforth is on duty at the hospital, so I’m thinking about watching a B-grade thriller movie and drinking a few beers, instead.

I don’t think that my brain has finished digesting last night’s meal yet. It still feels full.

Have you read anything that took a while to digest, lately?

Big_Ger, Jlwctn, Treehouse and 6 others like this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

When I did an MSc in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management few years back, I felt my brain thumping, every single day I read text books. It actually still hurts to think about it.

3. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to read like there was no tomorrow! Things changed in our household, and I have many duties, which limit my free time. Any free time is dedicated to guitar.

4. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

...Windows NT 3.51 - Windows Server 2019 that's before you add Sql Server 7 - Sql Server 2019 and that's before adding in all the different hats I've worn.

Greggorios, Steerforth and Fendereedo like this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Yup, movie time.

Fendereedo, Greggorios and Steerforth like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have been reading famous Philosoper's philosophies in chronological order for about two decades now. When I got to Immanuel Kant's, "Categorical Imperative", my eyeballs would roll back into the skull about every paragraph. I finally bought a college student "primer", just to get restarted.:rolleyes::oops:

7. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Kant is very heavy. I tried, but couldn’t follow through. Very influential philosophy though. Heidegger is in the same vein. Maybe some of the gist is lost in the German to English translation?

Fendereedo, Steerforth and Obsessed like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup, at least I didn't have to learn a new vocabulary with Heidegger.:rolleyes:

Fendereedo and Steerforth like this.
  9. Steerforth

I bought a book to help me get through the changes in word meaning so that I could read Chaucer’s “Canterbury Tales” as written. As an example, “buxom” had a different meaning back then.

I also have Alfred North Whithead’s, “Process and Reality” sitting on my bookshelf, waiting for me to muster up enough ambition to tackle it. I started it once, and got fairly well into it, but I started having brain cramps and thought, “Maybe I’ll shelf this until I’m feeling more masochistic.”

Fendereedo and Stringbanger like this.
  10. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I'll probably have to do OSHA 30 sooner rather than later . I really don't want to. Bad enough I have to take a 3 day fall protection certification in the next couple of weeks

11. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm getting to the point where I think my brain is full,,, lol I read a few chapters in a book, 30 min's later I'll not remember what I read?!
    It's all down hill from,,, wait, what was I talking abouto_O

12. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I ordered the Quantum Mechanics DVD set from Great Courses. I was expecting to have my PhD in Mathematics by next Tuesday, tops, until I realized there are four or five discs and not just one or two. So, I'm giving it another couple of days.

13. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Oh.

I misread the thread title. Thought it read Brian Digestion...and that you had eaten someone named Brian and were now having digestive issues.

My mistake.

14. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I Kant even...

Fendereedo, Obsessed and Steerforth like this.
  15. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Somehow, I got through six years of uni in my 40s. I do get the feeling my brain is full now, though. I can only read a certain amount of information before I have to take a break. Fiction I can read all day long.

16. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My son used to wear a sweatshirt with "My Head Asplode" printed on it. It was his commentary about the sorry state of education in his then middle school world.

I think.

He visited a week ago, from his life as an assistant professor at a small college in a far away city, to present me with one of my own. I had apparently been complaining about the amount of reading expected of me in my current academic pursuits.

I probably was. Complaining. I've two degrees and I swear I'm reading more in this latest than the first two combined.

My head asplode indeed.

Fendereedo, Obsessed and Steerforth like this.
  17. Steerforth

Over the course of my life, I’ve managed to earn three hundred-and-some college credits. I was astounded when somebody finally totaled them up.

This did not come about due to some great thirst for knowledge, or some grand vision. It came about from being stuck in a lot of places where the most fun that you could have was taking a few classes. “Let’s see, I can go take a few classes or I can sit here and stare at the tops of my boots. Guess I’ll go sign up for some classes.”

Mrs. Steerforth is a perpetual student, and still goes to school via the Internet from home. I’m not sure, but I think she gets to append the entire alphabet after her name now. Her curriculum vitae contains the names of schools that make people go, “Ooo! Aah!”

I, on the other hand, am still the same ne’er do well that I’ve always been. I get to append my military stuff after my name. My curriculum vitae has the names of schools that sound like a list of institutions of higher learning that would happily send a letter of acceptance to John “Bluto” Blutarsky.

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Fendereedo and rolandson like this.
  19. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

Sounds like you put further reading and LTSpice on a to do list and your brain is saying “nope, if I have to do it, it won’t be fun - how do I escape”, or similar.

The way around this can be to keep it all in messing about territory. So make it beer and LTSpice time, and when looking at the frequency plots, play some relevant guitar licks to help understand that it could do to tone.

Fendereedo likes this.
  20. Big_Ger

Big_Ger TDPRI Member

I started to read A Brief History of Time but it made my head hurt so I bought A Briefer History of Time. Unfortunately, it wasn’t brief enough... Mind boggling stuff

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.