1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Braided Cables Knot Up

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gitapik, Oct 14, 2018.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've got some DiMarzio braided cables. I like them but they knot up when I move around. Does anyone have a fix on that one or is it just the nature of the beast?

2. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Some are - for want better and more specific terms - braided with softer or more loosely material or are constructed a certain way so as not to kink up. I have three braided cables that kink up, and are frustrating.

gitapik likes this.
  3. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

Yes!

I wind my cables so I can hold one end, throw the other, and have them consistently come out knot free... my unbraided cables that is. Braided cables look nice, but seem to be a pain.

gitapik likes this.
  4. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

yep

g30 wireless

Axis29, aerhed, gitapik and 1 other person like this.
  5. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I also have this experience. One was so bad I got rid of it, the other braided cable is a permanent fixture on the workbench so I don't have to keep untwisting it.

6. gitapik

That's how I do it, too. You can just throw it out like a lariat and it's flat as board. But then I step in the wrong direction and it's kinking up again. I think slauson slim's got an interesting slant there.

Ok, I'm definitely interested.

Does it transfer to any amp and through pedals? I watched the Line 6 demo and, while it's funny, I still don't get how it works.

How do you pair it with the amp? And is it really as effective as a cable?

Got my antennae up ecoast...

7. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

The problem is you are twisting the cable in one direction when you are moving.
    Example:
    You are standing in front of your amp, with your back to it. You need to adjust a knob, so you turn to the right to get at the amp. Once the knobs are adjusted, you then turn to your right again to get back to your original position. You keep turning in a clockwise circle. Do this enough times, the cable gets twisted. You don't even realize it's happening.

Next time the cable gets twisted, try turning in a circle in the opposite direction to un-twist it. Yep, you'll get dizzy, so it's probably better to un-plug the cable, and un-twist it with your hands by rotating the cable along its long axis. This will happen to any cable, not just the braided type. What will help (but only help), is to rigorously adhere to a cable winding procedure to keep cables in a loose circle. Eight to ten inches in diameter works fine. You can "train" most any cable to do this, and after a while they will almost wrap themselves.

No, I am not OCD. Not a bit. No, really...

gitapik likes this.
  8. gitapik

Great minds think alike.

And, no: I am not OCD. Not a bit. No, really...

Even with all the machinations that will help; it's still a pita. I'm considering the Line 6 wireless.

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I use beldon 8410 cable and make my own, beldon can take being knotted up , etc, with no real issues , i always coil the cables when i finished with them,

I have a sampson wireless , headset /guitar system , but it too has some limitations , still good to have in the kit1

gitapik likes this.
  10. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

If like you say earlier you do the proper roadie wrapping technique when packing your cable up then @1300 E Valencia hit the nail on the head, it’s the way you keep rotating in same direction while playing, it’s a habit that’s hard to unlearn.

Also would be interesting to know if dimarzio uses spiral shielding instead of braided (not talking the outer covering). Spiral shielding is way more prone to bunching up underneath the outer layer when twisted, can even leave gaps in shielding which make cable mr prone to microphonics and outside electrical interference.

I always say no to spiral shielding when choosing guitar cable for just those reasons.

gitapik likes this.
  11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a couple, it gets worse the longer they are. They're useful from effects to amps.

gitapik likes this.
  12. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I have two DiMarzio braided cables, a 3 metre and a 5 metre. They both tie themselves in knots. So does my 5 metre Ernie Ball braided cable. Just the nature of the beast. I cope by using cables from pedal board to amp(s) and wireless from guitar to pedal board when playing standing and use cables from the guitar only when playing seated. I have come to the conclusion though that braided cables are not allowed to be sold unless any one metre length will automatically tie itself into at least 3 knots without human assistance.

gitapik likes this.
  13. gitapik

Is that the Shure BLX14? A friend of mine uses and likes that one.

They use braided. I started using them because my tech said they provide the best bang for the buck in terms of signal strength and keeping out electrical interference. Seems to be the popular opinion.

14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

15. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mine too....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.