Brad Point

rlyacht

Tele-Meister
Today I went to two neighborhood hardware stores and said "Sir, please fetch me your finest 1/8 inch brad point drill bit, suitable for drilling into maple". And each time, the guy had no idea what I was talking about. I don't know much at all about woodworking - is the brad point bit a rare item, or do people in NYC call them something else? At the second one, I showed the guy a bit on the Milwaukee web site, but he was unimpressed.

Forgive me for saying this, but it seems a bit odd.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's

McMaster always has what you need!

rlyacht

Tele-Meister
Long gone are the days when people who work in hardware stores actually know anything about hardware.
Evidently. I suppose that could be because so many people buy online that hardware store can't pay for knowledgeable people. Maybe it's really not worth it to them to pay someone with that kind of expertise just to sell me a $5 bit.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Its frequently hard to buy a single brad point drill bit but sets should be readily available. Lee Valley, Rockler, McMaster, Grizzly, even dear old StewMac.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
In my experience, brad points aren't usually made that small; smaller ones are usually split point- of course there are a zillion brands I never tried. You might also look at "bullet point"" bits from De
Walt or Black and Decker.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Why would they need to fetch it for ya? Were they like those old-timey stores where everything is behind the counter?

rlyacht

Tele-Meister
In my experience, brad points aren't usually made that small; smaller ones are usually split point- of course there are a zillion brands I never tried. You might also look at "bullet point"" bits from De
Walt or Black and Decker.
I ended up ordering this Dewalt from Amazon: DEWALT DW1702 Brad Point, 1/8-Inch https://a.co/d/fauTv68

edvard

Friend of Leo's
about 10 years ago, I was searching for jobs and applied at Home Depot and Lowe's and a few other places because I knew a bit about tools and brands, etc. and I thought they'd be a nice place to work for. The application websites had you answer a bunch of questions that sounded an awful lot like a psychoanalysis or personality test. Nothing about your knowledge of hardware, paint, lumber, etc.

Maybe this is the fallout...

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Here you go

501750-bradpaisley_cmas_617_409.jpg

rlyacht

Tele-Meister
Over the pond they're called Brad Awl's as far as I know. I've got 2.

How are the hardware store guys over there?

You'll probably appreciate then that I felt like the guy in the cheese shop skit, though at least these stores did have *some* drill bits (they just didn't know what they were, other than "drill bits").

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
How are the hardware store guys over there?

You'll probably appreciate then that I felt like the guy in the cheese shop skit, though at least these stores did have *some* drill bits (they just didn't know what they were, other than "drill bits").
Pretty ok. There are smaller shops that can be very good and stock smaller goods, but then there are bigger outlets, which have some Saturday part timer kids that are pretty clueless.

Valkyrie

TDPRI Member
about 10 years ago, I was searching for jobs and applied at Home Depot and Lowe's and a few other places because I knew a bit about tools and brands, etc. and I thought they'd be a nice place to work for. The application websites had you answer a bunch of questions that sounded an awful lot like a psychoanalysis or personality test. Nothing about your knowledge of hardware, paint, lumber, etc.

Maybe this is the fallout...

Company’s are more worried that you won’t get them involved in a multimillion dollar federal civil rights lawsuit.

It’s cheaper to hire a dimwit that won’t offend someone than a smart person that speaks their mind.