1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brad Paisleys Ex Guitar Tech Discussing 67-68 Tele's

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Zercado, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Zercado

Zercado TDPRI Member

Hi, here is a very interesting and informative video I just watched from Jim Lill. He is discussing vintage Tele's with Zak Childs who hosts his own show.

rze99 likes this.
  2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

where?

3. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

This must be it.

4. Zercado

Zercado TDPRI Member

Oops, thanks for that, sorry for not posting the link.

5. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Killer tips in there. Thanks for that.

6. Zac

Zac Tele-Holic

Thanks for posting that! Jim was very kind to interview me, and I was glad he posted that bit of us talking about Telecasters.

Danman, basdenchris, ddhr and 2 others like this.
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Deleted

8. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

Listened to the podcast shortly after it came out, but I appreciate seeing the video form! That's such a cool guitar!

Zac likes this.
  9. Zac

Zac Tele-Holic

Thank you! It's my #1, with my Crook paisley being a close second.

basdenchris likes this.
  10. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Cool stuff.

11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Real good stuff.

- D

12. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Great interview. Just finished listening to the last "episode". Thanks to Jim and Zac!

13. jeff mercer

jeff mercer TDPRI Member

Thanks for that..was great. Nice to see the mid(ish) to late '60s Teles getting some love !!
    I have both '66 & '67 maple caps, & these are two quite interesting years in Telecaster history.

1966 was the very last year of the '52-style wiring, the last year of maple-caps being a true 'custom' feature (as in the option didn't appear on spec sheets that year or any previous years), and..I think, not sure of this..the only 'full' year of the transition decal. I believe '65s can have spaghetti logos(early), or transitions(late). Any experts know if there is any truth to that ?

I also believe that it was the last year for true 'brazilian' on rosewood board models..again, that may not be the case..anyone know for sure?

'67s got the 'modern' wiring, and can have either Klusons or F-Tuners, & a transition or a 'modern' black logo, & seemed to be quite random, as in the earlier version continued quite late into the year & seemed to exist side by side w/ the later features...another detail I'm not 100% sure of, but I believe poly finishes were beginning to be phased in '67 ? So 1966 may also be the last year of nitro finishes if that's correct.

Both of mine are most definitely 'player grade' (surely one of the silliest of the vintage guitar vernacular sayings :eek:)!)..got the '66 in 1981 & it's remained my main guitar since then.

Any thoughts/corrections of my timelines above most welcome.

Thanks again for the vid, Zercado & Zac.
    Cheers,J.

14. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Jeff,

I just bought a '67 with Rosewood and a Bigsby and have been doing a lot of research on these lately. It seems that, while not with complete continuity, the change in headstock logo happened around late Aug to Sept. of 67 along with the change to F-style tuners. I have seen a few serial numbers and date stamps that are exceptions to this date, but I believe that was the time when these changes were instituted. I've even seen an original neck with the F-style tuners and the older Gold logo. Mine is from Sept. '67, serial number 209095 and has the later logo and tuners, but definitely still has nitro paint on the neck. I believe the change to Urethane did not happen until later. There was an intermediate change from the nitrocellulose lacquer to acrylic lacquer and I have seen several '67's with little or no checking on the body, which was an advantage of the acrylic lacquer. Strangely, the necks still seem to check, which may indicate that Fender was still using nitro for their clear coats. I'll have to check on the Rosewood change, but I thought that happened around the time of the CBS purchase.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.