Brad Paisley's Cluster Pluck

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by fenderbender4, Aug 4, 2021.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 TDPRI Member

I'm trying to tackle Cluster Pluck (trying to by ear) but I still have a hard time figuring out some parts. I was wondering if anyone had any links/materials to instructional stuff? I know Jim Lill use to have a series on it but it's been removed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

fenderbender4 likes this.
  3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck !!! Great song, wild guitar thats for sure.

The thing about many of Brads solos is that he uses many unorthodox hammer- ons and pull offs which may be outside of any "theoretical equation" . We are trying to make musical sense of it all and they are not formed with formal musical sense. They sound great, thats his formula . Its like starting in the root key and ending in the root key is the trick, in between is insanity !

There are plenty of U Tubes which show many of the different things ( tricks ) he does. He mixes his bag of tricks with fretboard knowledge and phrasing. Brad is a wizard. He is truly not to be copied . Good luck trying !

WATER is another perfect example -Solo one is approachable, Solo 2 is from a different place , undefined ! :)

We play a several of Brads tunes where I solo, Mud , Little Moments, Waitin' on a Woman , Wrap Around etc... I have to find a path to these solos which fits ME . Make no mistake, solos such as MUD took a very long time to work thru in "cadence" , its all timing of phrases, small pieces strung together, Is it exact ?, certainly not . I've been told I play it perfect. I'll tell you straight up..NO ITS NOT ! IF we try to play exactly like Brad , note for note, we are going down a rabbit hole. :eek:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.