Brad Paisley Tele Club

Tonewolf

TDPRI Member
I tried Ernie Ball Slinky strings on mine and as Greg Koch would say, "I can bend the strings from here to Neptune". For some reason I'm sticking with the 9-42 gauge which is light but increases the fun level for me.

horax

Tele-Afflicted
So I’ve been a big complainer about the neck on these things.

I bought mine in the first day of release. Tonight I pulled it out to play, and it has become THE SOFTEST neck I own! It is AMAZING! Finally cured by lots of playing. I filed down the fret ends a bit tonight as we’ve had a total dry winter here in colorado. It’s awesome!

Tonight’s pix:
2DFB160B-0541-45BC-8279-51D9DBE5D84A.jpeg
746EC7A0-DF5A-4EF6-8503-AB636ADFC31C.jpeg

xgritzx

Tele-Meister
so the honeymoon is over and ive found a few gripes and have a few questions. as you can see in the pic my paisley, I have a screw thats a different size in the pick guard. Is this part of the "relicing" or is it how brads 63 is, or did I just get the one from the day they ran out of screws?

mine also seems that the neck pickup route is too shallow. to the point that there is no cushion on one side, and the pickup flat work is bent. makes it impossible to set the pickup correctly. the pickup is also drilled slightly off center and axis.

and my nut is cut wrong. I get insane sonic artifacts behind the nut on my G string.

I still love it, I searched for a long long time to find the right one and am not mad at these issues but it is odd. did you guys have to get into deep setup from the showroom like this?

thoughts? ideas?

IMG_1244.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg

horax

Tele-Afflicted
so the honeymoon is over and ive found a few gripes and have a few questions. as you can see in the pic my paisley, I have a screw thats a different size in the pick guard. Is this part of the "relicing" or is it how brads 63 is, or did I just get the one from the day they ran out of screws?

mine also seems that the neck pickup route is too shallow. to the point that there is no cushion on one side, and the pickup flat work is bent. makes it impossible to set the pickup correctly. the pickup is also drilled slightly off center and axis.

and my nut is cut wrong. I get insane sonic artifacts behind the nut on my G string.

I still love it, I searched for a long long time to find the right one and am not mad at these issues but it is odd. did you guys have to get into deep setup from the showroom like this?

thoughts? ideas?

View attachment 508341 View attachment 508341
Pix of everything?

Tonewolf

TDPRI Member
Tongue in cheek... The person assembling your guitar went insane (Aka. a screw lose). He then installed it in your guitar. The pickup route became shallow due to the fact that the guitar now had a mind of it's own and obviously knows best. The insane sonic artifacts are also due to that defective screw I tell ya....

...Anyway. That guitar needs to be taken to a Fender authorized repair center and repaired under warranty. I had some a weird rattling issue that wound up being the lock washer on the input jack. I took the guitar apart and didn't see the loose washer. Since the guitar is so resonant it sounded throughout the whole body. I took it to my local shop and they took care of it. They also cleaned up the nut slots and made sure it was setup properly. It cost me a smile which I was happy to give when I tried the guitar after the issues were ironed out. The artifacts you hear are one of three things. A nut that needs proper filing and nut sauce in all slots, A high fret or the string is not seated on the saddle but in between the two parts of the saddle. I replaced my saddles and never looked back.

A picture of the strung up saddle would help. That nut sauce stuff is on my saddles, the nut, under the string tree, Etc.

xgritzx

Tele-Meister
that makes a lot of sense. I never even considered the warranty. ill will actually get on that. the poster before you asked for pics and I got crazy distracted over the weekend and forgot. ill take picks before I take it in.

xgritzx

Tele-Meister
I dunno; I think that fake wear is just; well...pretentious.

it is my least favorite part of the guitar. I wish it was just normally finished. even with the flows mine has its the best thing I played after months of trying everything I could get my hands on. its actually the total opposite of what I set out to buy. it was just too good to leave behind. I wish I would have seen these couple of issues in store but....

jefsut

Tele-Meister
I just saw a couple of these in my local GuitarCenter yesterday. I'd not been aware of their existence before that. I loved the neck, and the pickups sounded great. The relic'd wear on the body is almost a show stopper for me. Wish they'd make a model without it.

I prefer light Telecasters, but this one is almost alarmingly light. Still like it though.

There seem to be no shortage of these on the used market for $850 - 1,000. Perhaps the prices will drop further, so I'll keep my eyes open.

xgritzx

Tele-Meister
so I saw a guy asking about pickguard options for his BP, and I've been in the same boat, wanting a change but not being totally stoked on the options. in one of his pics he set a black guard behind his stock paisley one. I have never been a fan of the pickguard on these but it took on new life when I saw him set paired the black with stock. so I grabbed a sheet of vinyl from the craft shop for a buck and I did a thing! turned out cool I think.

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 242

horax

Tele-Afflicted
so I saw a guy asking about pickguard options for his BP, and I've been in the same boat, wanting a change but not being totally stoked on the options. in one of his pics he set a black guard behind his stock paisley one. I have never been a fan of the pickguard on these but it took on new life when I saw him set paired the black with stock. so I grabbed a sheet of vinyl from the craft shop for a buck and I did a thing! turned out cool I think.

Looks amazing!
IF I were to do anything, it would be this.

The rest of the guitar is just fine as is. ;)

horax

Tele-Afflicted
Do you guys clean off your fretboard?
Mine is collecitng a lot of gunk from when I play. Think it looks like it's aging, but I know it's just dirt.

Never had another guitar gather dirt and grime so quickly.

If I clean, does that ruin the natural aging process, or should I wipe it down and let ti REALLY relic?

xgritzx

Tele-Meister
its funny that you say this. I was scraping that crap off of mine with a pick the other day. I think they put something on it to make ti gather that crap so it will look like its aged. similar to a proper relic. it actually kind of bothers me. I was considering making a post to ask the best way to clean it off. as a matter of fact I fount that gunk on the back of my headstock where it meets the neck. AND I had yellowing around the pickguard when I was doing that black vinyl mod. it came right off with a little lick of the thumb and a rub. so im starting to think they just hit the whole guitar with some sticky crap right before they ship it out. when I first picked one of these up, within a month of release, before I was even considering one, I noticed it was SUPER sticky. when I asked the worker about it he had no info and told me something about its finish but I knew he was BSing me. this didn't feel like a normal, not quite dry fiddle. so yeah, not sure how to get it off but I imagine it will take a couple hours and some work with a mild cleaner on the entire guitar. someone may have better ideas on that.

PS sorry about the wall of text.

xgritzx

Tele-Meister
hey dudes. this is my first 3 barrel bridge as my Baja I had before this has a 6 saddle installed by the previous owner. I am also honestly a bigger fan of the 6 saddle. not sure why. maybe just more familiar? I think that he way fender implemented the adjustable saddle chunks on each barrel is the absolute best system to answer the issue of intonation. BUT after playing on this thing for a while now I just think im still a 6 saddle guy. similar to the American bridge or even the MIM standard like my Baja ended up with. so without getting to into the debate of tone changes and all that do you think that it would make a huge difference in sound really? I kinda don't think it will. anyway really just curious of you fellow owners thoughts of swapping bridges on the BP.....

Whoa Tele

Friend of Leo's
Do you guys clean off your fretboard?
Mine is collecitng a lot of gunk from when I play. Think it looks like it's aging, but I know it's just dirt.

Never had another guitar gather dirt and grime so quickly.

If I clean, does that ruin the natural aging process, or should I wipe it down and let ti REALLY relic?

I came across a cool way of cleaning mine the other day. I had a used dryer sheet and I rubbed it across the fret board and found it took off the sticky crud pretty quickly. It didn't really make the gtr. smell April fresh but at least its clean

BWNadeau

Tele-Afflicted
This thread kills me. (And I’m not being negative)

I follow some guitarists and they have many signature guitars, like an evolution. (John Petrucci comes to mind) And Brad Paisley has: one

Seems a bit odd, the guy is such a fantastic player. (and I’m not into country, but the guy’s talent is undeniable)

And this thread keeps going, and going, and going...

2, actually - he has a signature J45 with Gibson.