1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brad Paisley Signature Tele - it's finally here !

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JohnK24, Jul 11, 2017.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 TDPRI Member

A relic is a guitar that mimics actual wear. As others have pointed out, this in no ways mimics actual wear. I love good relics and own several, but this is a terrible excuse for a relic.

2. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

I've recently become a fan of his; he's an unreal guitarist. I'd love to own this thing.

JohnK24 and Gdolly like this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well, I wonder if his original 60's (refinished silver sparkle) is ACTUAL wear? Because if it is, the sig looks just like it. (But I have a feeling it's NOT- because none of his other guitars have that wear, not even his '68 pink paisley. So he probably had the silver sparkle reliced that way when he had it refinned.

4. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

The Kotzen is a thick U-neck. The Paisley (while obviously a V), feels even larger to me

5. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

The neck has some finish checking, but it's real faint. On the two I put my hands on, the necks were vastly different shades of maple. On the lighter of the two, the checking was very hard to see. The darker one showed it more easily, but as soon as you stepped a few feet away from either, they looked like new necks.

Arvidsson likes this.
  6. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a 5.5 pound paulownia partscaster, with an Allparts Fat neck (9.5''radius, tall frets).

Does that make me sound like BP? Not no, but h#ll no.

Maybe that's because I don't have sparkles:(

cdwillis and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  7. ruger9

Damn. Now I feel better about buying a Kotzen online (they are scarce in Guitar Centers around here)

rebelwoclue and basdenchris like this.
  8. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

I don't see this model on the Fender site. Is it a future release?

9. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

These must be made in China.

mnutz likes this.
  10. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Fender's ****ty search engine didn't pull it up. Found it in shop.fender.com.

basdenchris likes this.
  11. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

Watched the promo video and Brad says nothing about the specs / hardware of the guitar. That's all I was interested in hearing about. $1199 is a whole lot of money for a MIM. Road worns are nice guitars guitars used for $500-550. Good pickups, nitrocellulose finish. The worn finishes actually feel great. I know people ask a lot for the butterscotch Road Worn teles but I've seen some locally on Craigslist for $700-$900 and they'll be listed for months and months and people won't decrease their prices. I'd buy a used American Standard or Gibson Les Paul Studio or SG Standard if I was looking to spend $500-$700 on a guitar. American Fender or Gibson has better resale value and potential value increase as Fender and Gibson increase the price of their guitars every few years.

12. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

I feel bad about starting this thread now. So much disdain. I guess what Brad and Fender should have done is slap a paisley pickguard on one of those plastic feeling, 9 pound Classic Vibes and ya'll be wetting your shorts to buy a $400 toy.

13. Gdolly

Gdolly Tele-Meister

Well I'm excited about it. I really like a RW finish.

14. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

That's basically what it is.

15. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Holic

I understand the idea of buying a guitar that has a worn or faux-worn finish. One of mine has been well-loved and used, and it shows. Haha! I don't understand buying a guitar that is supposed to have a custom, fancy finish with a big chunk of that finish gone right off of the bat. I think it will hurt the sales. Then again people paying for Brad Paisley's name might be willing to pay it if they're big fans. Regardless of whose name is on it, I would have been really interested if they wouldn't have destroyed that cool finish.

16. ruger9

The bottom line is, this is not what everyone expected. And the G-bender complicates things greatly.

A REAL Brad sig requires a McVay G-Bender. It would be a $3500 custom shop guitar. And everyone would complain about how expensive it was, and Fender would sell alot less of them. And if Fender tried to develop a cheap production bender (to keep costs down on an MIM), everyone would complain that it's not a McVay.

The silver sparkle threw everyone off too... I think most were expecting a pink Paisley... Brad isn't known for his silver sparkle.

I think, discounting the bender, if Fender would have made this an MIM Pink Paisley that Brad had input on the pickups on (which he did), UNDER $1000, everyone would be very happy. The silver sparkle/road worn has been very contentious. But you can't complain about no bender AND complain about price:

Bender=custom shop=$3500

No bender=MIM=alot cheaper (altho still not cheap enough for alot of people)

Personally, I'm not sure I'd buy one at $1000, even if it were pink paisley. To ME, without the G-bender, there's not much Paisley about it, it's just another tele. I can get Brad's tone with tele I have. What I CAN'T get is the pink paisley and the G-bender. (well, I CAN have a g-bender installed in my #1, but that's not the point I'm trying to make)

cdwillis, still_fiddlin and horax like this.
  17. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

I really respect and admire his playing. But the first time I watched this video I thought the tone sounded really bad. The second time I watched it I thought it sounded worst. I have never heard him sound so bad. To me he is either having a off day or the guitar just isn't right. I choose the latter.

18. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

A Roadworn sells for $900, this is $1200.

When Fender used to sell the MIA Nashville with a Bbender it has an extra pickup and the bender for about $500 MORE than non-bender MIA.

They certainly could have put a bender in a MIM for $300 more than Roadworn.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  19. ruger9

An MIA for $500??? When was this? 1985? I bought my MIA in 1994 and it was $600 new- and it was just an American Standard - no extra pickup, no bender.

20. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

That wasn't worded clearly. The MIA with bender wasn't $500, it was $500 MORE than an MIA standard. So if Fender can sell a MIA bender for a $500 upcharge they should be able to sell MIM for $300 upcharge.

ruger9 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.