1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brad Paisley secret agent - esquire pickup

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Seattlesurfer, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Seattlesurfer

Seattlesurfer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Having an esquire custom built, thoughts on adding this to it?

edchavez, tery, brookdalebill and 3 others like this.
  2. tele_player

tele_player Tele-Meister

I love it! I want one! $130 on seymourduncan.com.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Seattlesurfer likes this.
  3. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Do it!

4. tele_player

tele_player Tele-Meister

I'm still thinking about it. Really wishing the Brad Paisley Esquire (black sparkle road worn) wasn't so ugly. From the specs, it seems like a guitar I'd love.

Photos of the Secret Agent pickup don't show any place for mounting screws. I wonder how it gets installed?

slimfinger likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great idea!

6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

If its good enough for Brad its good enough for me .

7. straycat

straycat TDPRI Member

What bridge pickup would be the best match for that SD Secret Agent? La Brea bridge pickup?

8. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

How`s this any different than a regular stealth pickup?

ChickenKiller and zeke54 like this.
  9. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I kinda don't get it. I mean, I get that Esquires are cool as anything. But if it were me, if I wanted a neck pickup I'd just play a Tele. Seems like a lot of trouble and expense to go through just to attain a certain aesthetic. But I guess looks are that important to some people, and there's nothing wrong with that.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

They forgot to discuss the Secret Agent switch, that isn't available yet ;)

boris bubbanov likes this.
  11. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

I think, at least in part, it's a cool idea. Imagine a guitar that looks like it doesn't have any pickups! But also, if one likes a neck pickup, it's easy enough to play a tele or a double esquire. It comes across pretentious to me, but then again image is a big part of entertainment business. I'm too much a purist to put one in my guitar, but I can't be arsed to care very much what turns someone else's crank.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's not.
    This idea has been around for a very long time

13. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

I’m just gonna say it.

I thought it sounded awful. If you want a neck pickup, just use a Tele. This is a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist.

14. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

@ieatlions is spot on. Adding a neck pickup turns an Esquire into a .... Tele! I thought it sounded pretty good, though, but hey it's Brad, he's awesome in my book.

He had the Dr. Z amp out .... the dang temptation! I might be, I am forcing myself not to, but might be in the market for an amp and the Dr Z is on the top of the list, as well as the Fender Tone Master. When I see videos like this, it's like dangling carrots in front of me while I'm racing around the dog track.

I watched the entire video and thought the ocean cliff scenes were so incredibly out of place! I thought Brad was going to jump in the last one. What an odd choice of scenery to add to the classic country barn setting. My opinion, anyway.

LGOberean and ieatlions like this.
  15. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Maybe Brad can get Peyton Manning to help him market it ...

LGOberean, Geo and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  16. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Im extremely shallow. I’ve said it before here. If I don’t like the way a guitar looks I won’t buy it because I know I’ll never pick it up. At the same time, I don’t dislike the sound or feel of any guitar. So I’m picky about appearances but not about sound and feel. I’m very happy with the guitars I have but I know not everyone feels the way I do.

Ignatius likes this.
  17. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Nothin' wrong with that. We all like what we like, and you know what you like. It's no different than going to a store and buying a particular shirt because you like it ;):D. A friend of mine's the same way - the looks of the guitar is part of what inspires him.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  18. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
    So it’s actually not an Esquire...

zeke54 likes this.
  19. Subro

Subro TDPRI Member

I just ordered one, I’m really curious to try it! I mean, it’s a custom shop Seymour Duncan and it’s Brad Paisley, the chances of it sounding bad are very small.

I really like the concept. I like the neck pickup on teles (mostly for the middle position) but I prefer how esquires look. I don’t understand what’s wrong about doing something just for the looks, we all care about the colour on our guitars, right?

slimfinger likes this.
  20. Lochry

Lochry TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I'm an esquire guy and have experimented with "stealth" pickups for many years with mixed results. Until now, the best pickups I've found for this purpose are old gold foils. Unfortunately, they require body routing so not practical for most guitars.

I was immediately interested in the Secret Agent as a stealth pickup requiring no body modifications. I installed one in my '58 last week and, for what it's worth, will share a few thoughts on the results.

-- As with all other stealth pickups, the Secret Agent did not convert my esquire into a tele. Tele Position Two -- neck + bridge -- did not blend or balance. (Your results may differ.)

-- As an upgrade to Position One, this thing is GREAT. I've never liked the 50s' "bassy tone" circuit in this particular guitar. The Secret Agent opens up a range of useful tones.

-- For me, the Secret Agent sounded best with the tone bypassed. It's easy to wire, but I think Duncan might want to consider including a wiring diagram for that purpose.

-- I tried it with different pickguards and noted the following:

The original single-ply of the '58 allowed the Secret Agent some high-end sizzle -- not something I've experienced with other stealth pickup on other esquires.

A three-ply guard rolled off the highs a bit -- some may prefer that.

I also tried an aluminum pickguard because the pickup is unshielded and can be a bit noisy. Aluminum provided a slight roll off, provided good shielding, and could be grounded. Very quite even under florescent lighting.​

I won't be putting this pickup in my other esquires (kinda pricey), but it will probably stay in my '58 as long as I own it.

sloppychops, Subro, Jensen and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.