1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Brad Davis: Brad Bender on an acoustic

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Andy Pendley, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Andy Pendley

Andy Pendley TDPRI Member

Hey all,
    I saw Sam Bush in Boise recently. His guitar player was Brad Davis, who worked with Marty Stuart for several years.

Brad used a detachable pedal/cable actuated B bender of his own design on his dreadnaught acoustic. I guess its called the "Brad Bender" and he has patented it.

It was interesting to hear a B bender used in a "newgrass" context on a flattop. Has anyone here tried a Brad Bender?

2. SteelBender

SteelBender TDPRI Member

The Higgins Peg Bender

Hello Andy,

The bender you are describing sounds like The Higgins Peg Bender.

Brad Higgins is the inventor. It is one of the easiest ways to get started with a bender, requires no routing and from his website it states a cost of $150.

Shoot 'em an email.

http://www.bradivarius.com/pegbender.html

3. shuggie1

shuggie1 Tele-Meister

Nope

Nope,
    It is something Mr. Davis came up with....
    From what I saw on the fly,,,it is a saddle pin thing controlled by a bit of cable and a foot pedal...

sounded good and looked non-intrusive..

Wish I had more for ya,,, sorry

Take Care
    Shuggie

4. Andy Pendley

Andy Pendley TDPRI Member

The Brad Bender I saw was headstock mounted

I chatted briefly with Brad Davis regarding his Brad Bender. I got a fair look at the guitar (4-6 feet away), but I didn't hold the guitar and inspect it in detail.

Like Shuggie said, the one I saw is pedal actuated and had a cable that attaches to the guitar. However, the one I saw Brad play had a plunger type bending mechanism mounted in a hole in the headstock of his flattop guitar, between the B and E strings. It looked like the plunger pulled the B string down towards the headstock. The cable assembly was easily removed from the plunger mechanism, allowing Brad to quickly attach the cable for any song that required the bender, and then remove it to allow more freedom of movement on non-bender songs.

Also, Brad used a leather cover on the front of the headstock to keep bender parts from flying out and hitting someone (he said this happened once). Here's a link to a photo of Brad and his Collings guitar with a cover for the Brad Bender:
    http://www.melbay.com/authors.asp?author=270

Here is a link I found to Brad's website:
    http://www.braddavismusic.com/?content=about.php

Thanks,
    Andy

5. Muttcaster

Muttcaster Tele-Holic

I played Brad's B-Bender when he had it on his Collings CW (back when I had my CW....). It's most definitely his own invention and it's made from some gears, some car parts, a cable, and other home-made DIY stuff. It bends by using a cam to force the B-string off to one side. You gotta drill a hole thru the headstock for the shaft. The leather cover is there because he was once demo'ing for a record thing and the gear popped off and flew across the room and about took out the executive. Brad's got the bender on his Merrilll now and I understand from him and Dan Miller of FGM that they video taped the installation for historical purposes. :)

Playing the Brad Bender- if you're used to a P/W bender, the Brad Bender is kind of "soft". Nothing you couldn't get used to, of course, but it doesn't quite have that mechanical feel of a P/W.

6. Kyle Aaron

Kyle Aaron TDPRI Member

Brad did a clinic at South Plains College last year. Unfortunately, he didn't have his bender with him, but he told a funny story about it.

He said when he first started using it, he didn't have the leather wrapped around the headstock. One night he was playing a gig and was bending a bunch and the peg shot out of the socket like a bullet and hit some old lady out in the audience!

This is why he now has the leather wrapped around the headstock. ;)

KA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.