1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

BR06623's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by BR06623, Mar 13, 2012.

1. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Semi fixed electronics issue

I was right, I had soldered my ground directly to the hot volume tabs on the switch! :rolleyes: That was the result of hurrying up too much. Desoldered the connections and made a jumper, reconnnected the volume wire.

Then, sanded a spot on the tone pot, tinned it and soldered the ground wires to that pot!

It worked! :D

Attached Files:

2. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Well, it mostly worked, however I had a ground problem remaining. When you are not touching strings or bridge, there is a loud hum. I think the ground to the bridge was not making contact. I needed to realign the bridge anyway, so off it came.

Plugged original holes, (note to self: do not align bridge with control plate, always center on the neck) positioned the bridge correctly, marked and drilled holes. I sanded the finish on the underside of the screw that the ground wire wraps around, hoping it will make contact and solve the problem.

Now, gotta go get strings, broke 2 of the new set so far.

Also, I have noticed that the fender pickup is much, much hotter than the GFS bridge pickup. Not much I can do about that as far as I know. Adjusted the neck pickup very low and the bridge very high.

3. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Fixed problems.....YAY!

Well, got it all back together. The GFS Pickup in the bridge seems to just be much weaker than the Fender. I may have a poor solder connection on it and I will probably try to get a better connection and see if that helps. If not, I will be trying to get a Fender bridge Pup for it. All in all, it plays very well if I do say so myself! :D:D Acoustically it is not loud but resonates pretty well, you can feel it throughout the guitar. ;) :D

I will say it is nearly finished. I will work on the intonation a little more tonight, it is close but I haven't actually started setting it.

I can say this....I have experienced NGD before a few times, but it don't compare with this! The satisfaction of completing a difficult project and getting a brand new (partially antique, or should I say made with "Vintage Wood?") guitar also! NICE.

I will be trying to practice a little more, then post a video tomorrow.

Sure has been nice participating with you all! I have enjoyed it, almost don't want it to come to an end.....almost.

Ok, been trying to add pics but seems that they won't upload....

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  4. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Cool! glad you got it working.

I'm pretty happy to be done with mine. I spent the evening working on an amp cabinet but that doesn't have a deadline. Or a video at the end!:D

5. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Here are some photos of the finished guitar.

Attached Files:

6. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Fantastic build! Glad you figured out the wiring. I agree it's a shame the challenge has to end. I had a lot of fun. Congratulations on building an outstanding instrument.

7. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

And another.....

Attached Files:

8. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

That's the name of the game; hearty congratulations on a nifty-looking build. Play it with pride.

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

"I can say this....I have experienced NGD before a few times, but it don't compare with this! The satisfaction of completing a difficult project and getting a brand new (partially antique, or should I say made with "Vintage Wood?") guitar also! NICE."

Great way to put it, I haven't had a NGD in over 3 decades, and I'm beginning to get excited. Hell, I may go out and buy a new amp to play my new baby through.

Glad you got through the wiring. I did mine tonight, have to wait until tomorrow when everything's more or less dry to assemble and see if it works. Won't have time for broken strings !! Or anything else, for that matter. :eek:

Nice build, looking forward to seeing and hearing your video.

10. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Thought I would add a few more photos. Getting ready to upload favorite photo and video. Still learning how to do all this forum stuff.:p

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  11. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

The body...:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  12. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Very very nice.

13. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

COMPLETED

Here is my video and final photo of my 2012 TDPRI Build Challenge Guitar.

Features:
    • Wilkinson Bridge
    • GFS Hot Alnico Bridge Pickup
    • Fender Noiseless Strat Neck Pickup
    • Fender Medium Jumbo frets
    • Bone nut
    • Roller String Retainers
    • Wilkinson Deluxe Vintage 6 on a side tuners - Stays in tune! ;) And I got the frets properly spaced! :D
    • Body is made of oak that has been chambered, top is from a vintage Davis sewing machine top and is quartersawn oak
    • Neck is made of Maple Ambrosia
      Fretboard is Bolivian Rosewood
    • Headstock has a veneer made of the same material as the body

Please try to forgive the poor playing in the video. I need to practice much more. :oops::oops:

I have enjoyed this challenge very much and I thank all of you who encouraged and inspired me. It has been a great experience. Because of this build challenge, I have finally jumped into something I have wanted to do for a long time. :D

Good luck to all of you!

Attached Files:

14. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Great first biuld and nice video!

15. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Thank you very much James. Its been fun!

16. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Thanks RCole...it means a lot!

17. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey BR,

Well done! That quarter sawn oak is something I've never seen on a guitar before and just love it. It sounds great and yes, "Pipeline" is a natural for a Tele. Way to find and repurpose wood with true character. Congratulations!

Rob

18. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Thanks Rob, it has been quite a trip! I have enjoyed watching your build as you created a fantastic guitar. I need to get over to the Completed threads and check it out.

19. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Great work, man, that's a beautiful guitar! :)

20. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Great job, Brantley!!! I knew you'd get it figured out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.