1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

BR06623's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by BR06623, Mar 13, 2012.

1. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

"What flaws?" You are very generous. Thank you very much. ;)

2. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Made a tool to bevel the edges of the frets. It actually worked pretty well. It is kind of crude, but I am feeling the time crunch. I will make a more refined one after the challenge.

Attached Files:

3. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Looks just like my stewmac one (albeit mines in plastic). That will work fine. I bevelled frets last night. I was wondering if I should of held the tool level with the frets (ie on the radious part) or held it horizontal (ie. Resting on the middle of the fretboard and the edge suspended in air to keep tool horizontal).

Cheers

4. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Now the fret ends are beveled and I need to level the frets. Actually, after this photo I leveled the frets fairly easily. Now, I am having a very difficult time crowning them as I do not have a crowning file. Should have bought one long ago!

Attached Files:

5. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Well, it worked. I just held the flat of the board on the frets and gently went back and forth till I had a nice bevel. If you slip.....you can scar the frets badly....don't ask how I know that. :rolleyes:

6. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Tonight I completed the fret work, and got the neck clean and looking n feeling nice.

I only got one picture of any quality. Tomorrow I am off, so I will continue trying to finish on time! I am home, so I have my good camera available again. Maybe I will get a few better photos of the end of this project.

Attached Files:

7. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

My youngest son sure made me feel good this evening. He came in the garage and was asking questions about how I did this or that. I began showing him some of the flaws I know about and explained some of the fixes to him. He said, you know Dad, I think you will win, but even if you dont yours is my favorite! He was very appreciative of the various tools I have improvised or made to accomplish so many steps of this project.

Kinda feels good to have my 17 year old and 21 year old sons appreciate what I do. My wife has been incredibly supportive too. Especially considering how much time I have devoted to the project and taken away from the family time. Love my family very much!

8. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey BR,

Its when things like that happen that you know you're in the right place. Well done on all fronts! :)

Barncaster

9. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

That's awesome! Really doesn't get better than that ;)

10. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Ok, I have to stop looking at all these works of art and get back to hacking on mine! I really think I should not be looking at some of these and then comparing mine to them. Wow, you guys are talented!

11. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Awesome!!!

12. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

FRUSTRATION!

Ok, getting frustrating here at the end. Got it all put together, strung it up, looks like it is gonna work fine. Plugged it in and.........nothing! :eek:

Flip the switch to try different positions.........nothing! :eek:

Make sure amp is working.......yep. It is working fine. :rolleyes:

Ok, Here is what I know so far, I am getting no sound from the pickups, but I do seem to be getting a signal to the amp. When I remove my hands from the strings and other metal, I get a loud buzz from the amp.

Somebody please give me a starting point and a path to troubleshoot this problem.

And to further increase my frustration, I was trying to tune it anyway, acoustically with a good tuner, and busted the little "e". :twisted:

I am a complete novice at electronics, so any help is appreciated, just make it simple...please.

I tried to follow the simple wiring diagram from Guitar Fetish that came with the bridge pickup. I also drilled a hole into the bridge pickup cavity and ran a ground wire to the underside of the bridge.

13. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Do you have pics of how you wired it?

14. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

This happened to me on my very first wiring job; I had the hot and ground switched at the output jack. Fortunately, I found it quickly and it was a simple fix; I'm not an electronics wizard, and I had no idea how to troubleshoot it.

Give that a look. And like Desmo said, pics would help. There's guys on here that can take one glance at a wiring harness pic and diagnose the problem right away.

Good luck.

15. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Thank you both. I will post some pics. I ordered a prewired harness that included 250k pots, a 3 way switch, and output jack all wired. Just had to wire the hot and ground wires from the pickups. It had a ground wire that I thought went to the bridge and I wired the grounds from the pickups to the switch. I will take another look as well as posting a pic or two.

Thanks again.

16. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Here are photos I took as I got it wired up. I will get some closeups of the control plate and post them.

Attached Files:

17. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I'm no expert on wiring but my guess is it's a ground problem. I say that because to a rookie like me it's always a ground problem. :p

Seriously though, I don't see any wires running to the output jack? They have to be there if you're getting noise when you let go of the strings, I just can't see them.

Those switches always confuse me and I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me but IIRC:

If you have a prewired harness I'm guessing you need to attach one wire (the colored one) from each pup to the switch, which tab to go to should be shown on your diagram.

Black wire from pup goes to a ground, often the back of a volume or tone pot but it could also be some other point on the metal plate everything's mounted on. Sometimes people use washers with a little tab on them that then go under a pot?

The volume pot has a wire that runs to the tip of the output jack. You'll have to figure out which tab that is, I've forgotten but you can tell by looking at the jack - it's the one that attaches to the long part with the bump on the end.

The other tab from the output jack goes to the point you're using as ground.

The bridge ground goes to the ground point too.

You said you wired the pup grounds to the switch, did you mean pot? While I suppose it's possible to use the body of the switch as your ground it's not typically done that way from I've seen.

With the rest of it pre-wired that should be all you need to do.

BTW - I broke a string working on the set up for mine too. It happens...

18. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Nosmo, I actually wired the ground wires to the switch where the Ground wire for the bridge was attached. I am thinking about undoing that entirely, replace the jumper that was already there, redo the ground to the bridge and ground the Pups to the pots. Sound like a plan? I am reasonably sure that the maker of the harness got the output jack correct. Sure don't want to pull the jack since the cup I used is the "push-in" type. I would have to reinstall it using screws I suppose.

Thanks for the input. Let me know what you think. :)

19. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

For what it is worth, I played the guitar for a while last night without amp or little e, it plays nicely. Still need to set intonation, but it does not sound far off to my ears. Hopefully I can get the electronics working.

20. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Ok, I think I know what I did wrong. As soon as I opened up the control plate I saw it. It was not a ground that I wired my ground wire from the Pups to. It was the volume wire. I will redo this and ground them to the pots.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.