1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

BR06623's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by BR06623, Mar 13, 2012.

1. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

I am entering the Best Beginner challenge. I have no experience building guitars. Looking forward to the build and can't wait to see what everyone comes up with! Good Luck to All!:D

2. Trow

Trow Tele-Holic

Good luck!

3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome, and good luck! :D

Dave

4. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck, man! Glad to have you here and competing. This should be a great category to watch.

5. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Raw Materials

This is what I am starting with: Maple Ambrosia 4/4 neck material, Bolivian rosewood fret board blank, Oak body blank - probably will be chambered, quartersawn Oak veneer taken from the top of an old sewing machine. The veneer has some wood glued to the back which will have to be thinned about 3/8's of an inch. I will have to build a sled for my router to do this with, as I only have basic power tools.

Attached Files:

6. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Thanks to you all and good luck to you too.

7. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Thanks to Terry Downs

I printed Mr. Down's drawing a couple of weeks ago, on 8.5x11 paper, taped them together and glued them to some cheap fingerjointed material. (mistake #1, next time I will use MDF)

In this photo I just finished tracing the outside to the body blank. I intend to rough cut it with my jig saw, then finish it with the template and flush trim router.

Attached Files:

8. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Yep, that MDF works pretty darn well. Actually, it is really nice to work with (try not to breath too much of it). Your pieces look good.

Good luck in the challenge.

9. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Using the Router Sled

Today I built a sled for my router. First I built a tray to place my guitar top in, face down, then I built a sled that fit over the the tray. Using the sled for consistent depth, I was able to remove a quarter inch thickness from the piece. Now it looks like the total thickness of the body when glued up will be just over 1 5/8 inches thick. Not perfect but it worked well for a first try.

Attached Files:

10. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Thanks so much. I will happily take advice. May not use it, but I will consider it for sure.

11. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Cutting body shape

Here I was cutting the top piece of the body with a jig saw.

Attached Files:

12. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

For your template, how did you make the cavities? I need to do that. Is it just a forstner bit followed by patience and sanding?

13. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

Looks like you are off to a good start. You will always remember your first so have fun with it, can't wait to see your build evolve. be safe and good luck!

14. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

@ COMMODORE64: I just drilled a hole with a 1" Forstner bit, making sure that it did not take out any of the lines. Then I just used a jig saw.....carefully. I did use a small rasp to smooth it up, then a little time with sand paper. A couple of places I was able to use a dremel with sanding drum, but I was not comfortable with it. Easy to take too much out.

15. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Looks like this is going to line up well. Not planning to route the neck pocket till I have the neck cut out and can make sure it all lines up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  16. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Yesterday I learned a lot about installing a truss rod. :rolleyes: First major mistake was made. When using router table to cut truss rod channel, make sure fence is secure. If it moves, I get a curvey channel. Fortunately I did not run out of the neck template and it can be fixed. (Good thing I was following someone's advise to only go 1/8 inch deep at a time.) I also have enough maple to make another neck if this one can't be salvaged. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  17. Matt Haskins

Matt Haskins Tele-Meister

Yep, making mistakes is part of learning. I say all the time that most of the things I've learned about making guitars came through making mistakes. Just keep the positive attitude and be safe.

18. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Just keep on a keepin' on, your doing fine............and learning :)

Dave

19. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Yesterday I experimented with a homemade jig for sawing frets. I plan to use a Japanese pull saw, on which I fashioned an adjustable stop for controlling depth of cut. See photo. I think at least one slot is too far back by maybe 3-4mm. Any suggestions on fixing or compensating? Also worked on a radius sanding block that I found plans for online. It involves a 2x4, semi-flexible thin board, shims and screws down the middle. :?: Not sure it will work but I will try.

My homemade router sled is in the photo also. Sure looks sloppy when I see Crazy Dave's.

I appreciate the feedback and support!:D

Attached Files:

20. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

Today I have cut out the back portion of the body, started removing wood with a Forstner bit, then finished up with the router. Seems like chambering is making a significant difference in weight.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.