BPM drums in garageband - Sonic Youth Superstar

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by EuroBailey, Dec 4, 2018.

1. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

This might seem like a strange question - and maybe i have just got this wrong...

I have only just started to use auto drummer in garageband after working out that if i match the BPM and stay in time the drums sound a lot better then me trying to punch them in manually! i wish i had worked this out a long time ago!

as a result, i am looking to re-record a few songs where i couldn't get the drums to sound very good previously.

The song i am working on is Superstar by Sonic Youth (a cover of the Carpenters song)

googling told me the song was recorded around 80-85 BPM and when i started to record, this seemed to fit pretty well. As a result, i could get the auto drummer to play along with me during the intro and verses. However in the chorus - the tempo seems to increase....... and therefore the drummer doesn't play along nicely!

am i missing something here? would anyone else who has the time to listen to me, agree with the tempo change and if so, can you change tempo's in garageband mid song to accommodate?

appreciate anyone's help with this :)

2. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Ok ... I’ve worked out I can drag the tempo up at any point in the song.. so sorry for shooting the gun with questions on here

3. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Thanks for posting that video. Very cool! I had not seen or heard it before. Good luck with your project.

EuroBailey likes this.
  4. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Sonic youth aren’t to everyone’s taste but I love them haha.

5. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Actually, your cover of the Sonic Youth cover is based on the Carpenters cover of the song written by Bonnie Bramlett and Leon Russell, originally recorded by Delaney & Bonnie. It's worth checking out the original (Leon's piano playing is worth the price of a ticket).

Martin R likes this.
  6. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Correct :) it was covered for a carpenters tribute album called “if I was a carpenter”. Apparently they were big influences on sonic youth... wouldn’t have picked that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.