"Box set" CD reissues

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Any of you guys go for those reissues that have 5 extra CDs of outakes and all that? I see that Frank Zappa's estate is releasing the "Making of Hot Rats" which really is an excellent recording by itself. But I'm not that keyed up to listen to 5 CDs of alternate takes, rehearsals, mono mixes, burps, etc. I got the "Making of Freak Out" and listened to it once or twice. Lent it to my brother who lost one of the discs and I didn't even care.

The only other one I was tempted to get was the "Immersion" version of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" because that one has the Stephane Grappelli violin solo on it somewhere. $120 is sort of steep to spend for a minute of audio.

I did like the "Deluxe" versions of The Who's "Live at Leeds" and "Who's Next", but they weren't these piles of outtakes - just extra live material that was really good overall.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    idjster likes this.
  2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Not really. There are very few artists - possibly none - that I'd fork out for in that regard.

I did love Johnny Cash's Unearthed box set - but that was extra material.

And Warren Zevon's Preludes was wonderful.

And a few of the Dylan bootleg albums have been interesting (Blind Willie McTell, anyone?).

Other than that, hmm, not really. I tend to think that demos and unreleased tracks often spoil reissued albums. There's usually a reason they're unreleased.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  3. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

While I write this, Paul McCartney is probably thinking about releasing a vast collection of his greatest farts - the ones he loved the most.

hemingway likes this.
  4. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

If it’s albums (or partiucular songs) that mean a lot to me... yes, definitely.

I bought the Layla 20th anniversary box when I was in high school. That was actually my introduction to what has become one of my favorite albums of all time. In hindsight, the set itself does nothing for me. There’s a 40th anniversary set that’s much better, right down to the mix of the actual album.

And are there any Stones fans (especially musician Stones fans) who aren’t fascinated by the different takes of Sympathy For the Devil, listening to the band struggle through different tempos and styles until they hit gold?

I love the deluxe editions of some of my favorites... What’s Going On, One More From The Road, Damn The Torpedoes, Rumours... I could go on...

Bassman8 likes this.
  5. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Absolutely LOVED the Beatles St. Peppers, White Album, and Abbey Road box sets!
    I also have several of the Dylan sets.
    And I have a number of the Grateful Dead box sets as well.

I love all the minutia when it comes to bands that I love.

Digital Larry likes this.
  6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Not the collectors editions with extra bonus multiple CD's of endless outtakes, run-throughs, alternative vocals. After one listen, does anyone go back?

I prefer the additional material to be on a separate CD though. I misplaced my CD of 'Music From Big Pink', and, convinced I'd lost it, bought a replacement that had bonus tracks on it. It jarred. Boobs on a bull, arms on the Venus de Milo, a 'tache on the Mona Lisa. A separate CD would have spared me. I found my original CD secreted in a drawer and have never played the pretender since.

If it fascinates you, and the package offers value, such as a book explaining the processes, zeitgeist, moods, band dynamics as well, and it's an album you hold dear, then why not?

I do have some special collectors releases of bands such as The Blockheads and Motorhead, and they took ( in the main ) the route of the unreleased material on a separate disc. Sometimes, it's easy to understand why it was not released.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If I’m not mistaken there’s quite a few box sets at very reasonable prices in the classifieds here...plus the Miles Davis 50’s Prestige stuff too...

8. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

I'm a sucker for them! They're fun and I'm always curious. I lean towards classic stuff

I have the PF Immersion sets for Dark Side and WYWH and the early years Ob/Fu/scation which makes more sense.

Beatles, Dylan and Dead sets too.

I'm more of a fan of the 2-3 disc with some alternate takes and unreleased tunes.

They are usually over priced but in the case of the Floyd Immersion sets can be sold at a hefty profit or at least not too much of a loss.

Curious about the Hot Rats box! One of my favorite Zappa albums! The box set also includes a Zappa Land board game in celebration of this release. :D

9. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

I found the original recording of Skynyrd's Street Survivors to be very interesting. Totally worth it.

10. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I have around 16 or so of those box sets. Have to admit I don't listen to most of them, but they are fun when I do. Seven of those sets are Miles, and they get played the most. Two from Coltrane not so much. A few other jazzers and other sets of RnR not so much either.

11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've bought them in the past when I didn't have the original albums anyway.

E.x. I had 0 Led Zeppelin albums, when I was like 19 I bought the (at the time) current box set rather than going and buying 4-5 separate albums.

I don't buy much at all these days in terms of CDs. Way better to spend the money on a streaming music subscription so I can listen to whatever the heck I want whenever I want.. that comes in real handy when talking to/working with other people I play with or for whatever music my guitar teacher brings up.

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The Hot Rats set could be fascinating, given Frank’s musical goals for that album and the musicians involved. I might get it to hear those songs evolve.

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Some box sets are great.
    Some aren’t.

A few of the recent “expanded editions” of my most beloved albums have been highly disappointing, and have made me less prone to purchase them until I hear the bonus tracks and deem them necessary.

14. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Can I just say "another cynical marketing ploy"?

I have no wish or inclination to possess outtakes, 'bonus' tracks or 'amusing stuff from the studio' of classic albums.

:)

RetroTeleRod and idjster like this.
  15. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I like the alternate arrangements, but often the box sets are hit and miss. Just counted:23. Sometimes, like Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Andres Segovia, I just got their box set because I wasn't likely to start buying singles from them. The Miles Davis sets are good listening on weekends like this one, for personal reasons. (Me and Tom Petty are sharing a B-Day tomorrow and I'll be ruminating in front of my all-tube Hi-Fi after a motorcycle ride :))

idjster likes this.
  16. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I'm pretty much at the point where all I buy are "deluxe" reissues and Bear Family box sets. Some of the Outtakes sets are fantastic, some are just okay. I think depending on your interests you can easily decide which ones you'll appreciate. The Peppers and White Album reissues are fascinating, for instance, because the songs underwent such massive experimentation to get to their album state. Abbey Road less so, as an example. The Dylan Bootleg Series releases also bear repeated listening, in my experience.

Bear Family is where it's at for me. Pretty much impeccable, and they give such lavish, heartfelt treatment to even the most obscure (relatively) artists. Their catalog is a must if you're into American Roots music.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.