Bought This Sight Unseen = Real Time Thread

Southboundsuarez

TDPRI Member
Ha ha! Someone said sub hundred guitars are fun!
Yes it is unbelievable what a hundred dollars can get you in the way of a budget electric guitar these days!
Certainly a far cry from the department store budget wannabe electric guitars of my youth!
If any economists were to factor in the inflation it would be mind-blowing. You had to have alot of tenacity to stick with playing those guitars of my youth, because they were not at all on par with any playability of much of what's avail. today.
Definately valuable tool to hone not only your musical chops but worthy subject of the DIY for that modder fodder. Surely many of these end up as sick tweaker abortions. However, there are likely many of a self taught, up and coming guitar techs and luthiers that owe the experience of a useful worthwhile platform to refine a working knowledge and define the cause and effect.
Ya gotta love that some of these guitar models take on a life of their own. It only takes one popular artist to be noted for playing some esoteric model and it becomes an instant collectable commodity!
I was given a couple of sleeper hundred dollar specials. The guitar has become somewhat of an underground cult classic upon the esoteric mod community. I am told that they sell triple the price as they did when they were new.
Anyone familiar with the Squirrel '51? (Edit... "Squire '51! Gotta love spell check)
Pretty weird thing. Its supposed to be a take on the imagination of a hybrid modified Frankenstein as might be found within the DYI public domain and as often seen somewhere in some pawnshop.
A cross between a Strat, Tele, PBass and a Stang... These have become a modders delight.
Hurray to the sub buck guitars!
Tone today doesn't require megabucks, you can cultivate tone spending time learning your guitar and not waisting your time, spending money.
If ya can't develop talent being a rockstar, you can at least develop your skill, cut your chops and earn your cred as a Mr Git Wrench!

It's good times no matter at what level you participate, the price of admission is the best deal than any other form of entertainment, pastime or leisure pursuit during our current era.

Last edited:

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire
20220703_192001.jpg

Hmmm,
Bought this decal. Not really happy with the quality. But decided to use it since I paid for it. Need to smooth sand tomorrow and hit it again. The wood is really grainy. I even smoothed it out before I started. So this one turned out so so. Close enough for Rock and Roll I guess.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
This is another classic FG project, isn't it? Take something underappreciated, add skill, taste and a little love, raid the spares box and Voila!

Bravo. Again. :cool:

Last edited:

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire
Here it is. Took a day to get to this point.

Attachments

• 20220704_165124.jpg
    20220704_165124.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220704_165135.jpg
    20220704_165135.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220704_165142.jpg
    20220704_165142.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220704_165326.jpg
    20220704_165326.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 16

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire
Finished the Head Stock.
5 Coats. Sand / Polish.
Added String Trees.

Spot leveled frets.
Crowned/ Dressed fret edges.
Soft rolled / Oiled fingerboard.

Added Black Pickguard.
Soldered in the PickUps.
Dragonfire Alnico 2s.
Added a MojoTone .022 Oil Cap.

Polished the body.
Didn't Drop Fill the ding yet.

Left the original nut.
It's okay.

Time for dinner.

It had Light Guage 9 to 42 strings.
I'm gonna go with Hybrid Slinkys.
I liked the way it felt outta the box,
But want to be able to Drop D.
FG

Southboundsuarez

TDPRI Member
Finished the Head Stock.
5 Coats. Sand / Polish.
Added String Trees.

Spot leveled frets.
Crowned/ Dressed fret edges.
Soft rolled / Oiled fingerboard.

Added Black Pickguard.
Soldered in the PickUps.
Dragonfire Alnico 2s.
Added a MojoTone .022 Oil Cap.

Polished the body.
Didn't Drop Fill the ding yet.

Left the original nut.
It's okay.

Time for dinner.

It had Light Guage 9 to 42 strings.
I'm gonna go with Hybrid Slinkys.
I liked the way it felt outta the box,
But want to be able to Drop D.
FG
Dragonfire?
Not familiar with those pups.
Don't laugh if I am missing something here. I don't get around much! I am more an amp dude and I don't keep up as much with the Jones's.
But for some reason, me thinks that these are some sorts offshore budget E-Bay special type of pickups?
Are they something that kinda been flying under the radar?
I suppose that I should maybe have a look-see for myself and find out. Certainly didn't spare any expense on those caps!!! Now that's a "subjective- subject"! Fortunately I have hoarded all type of flavours of caps and seldom need to buy the latest greatest copy of yesterday's old technology. I can't believe what a copy of a Bumble Bee goes for,,,, and if ya dissect some of the ones going around, you find out that inside actually is a mylar foil wrap very similar to a Mallory.
But yeah, I think ya done right to swap electronics in these things, if nothing else but for gigging reliability! Certainly, good pots probably would work well in conjunction with improvement of the caps. I assume that it has 500k?
Amazing quickie upgrade! You made quick work of making it your own and improving it substantially without breaking the bank!
Just proves that ya don't have to mortgage the farm to have a worthy gigging axe.
So many guitars today can be functional. Such far cry from the days of the British Invasion and consumers were flooded with plywood faux guitars for the kiddies to unwrap under the Christmas tree!
Nice job!

wraub

TDPRI Member
Dragonfire?
Not familiar with those pups.
Don't laugh if I am missing something here. I don't get around much! I am more an amp dude and I don't keep up as much with the Jones's.
But for some reason, me thinks that these are some sorts offshore budget E-Bay special type of pickups?
Are they something that kinda been flying under the radar?
I suppose that I should maybe have a look-see for myself and find out. Certainly didn't spare any expense on those caps!!! Now that's a "subjective- subject"! Fortunately I have hoarded all type of flavours of caps and seldom need to buy the latest greatest copy of yesterday's old technology. I can't believe what a copy of a Bumble Bee goes for,,,, and if ya dissect some of the ones going around, you find out that inside actually is a mylar foil wrap very similar to a Mallory.
But yeah, I think ya done right to swap electronics in these things, if nothing else but for gigging reliability! Certainly, good pots probably would work well in conjunction with improvement of the caps. I assume that it has 500k?
Amazing quickie upgrade! You made quick work of making it your own and improving it substantially without breaking the bank!
Just proves that ya don't have to mortgage the farm to have a worthy gigging axe.
So many guitars today can be functional. Such far cry from the days of the British Invasion and consumers were flooded with plywood faux guitars for the kiddies to unwrap under the Christmas tree!
Nice job!
https://dragonfirepickups.com/

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire
Wooooo....
Price Increases !!!!
Glad I bought a set every two weeks a while back. I was picking them up when on sale too. Just knew that they would be raising their prices.

Decent waxed pickups for the price.
Crusaders are Metal Machines. I have a toolbox filled with Dragonfire pickups. Glad I stocked up.
FG

I paid $38 for the Alnico 2 set I put in this Mustang.

Last edited: