Bought my 1st pedal need another.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jpjr50, Jan 6, 2016.

1. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

So I'm just starting to get into pedals. I normally use a simulator like Guitar Rig 5 on my PC. I have a home studio so all recordings go through an Audio Interface then into the PC.

For live stuff I decided to add amps and pedals so I can mic up the amp for sound also.

I have a Boss DD-20 Delay pedal. I'm thinking Reverb and Chorus should be next. Should I stay on the Boss brand? TC has the Hall of Fame Reverb and Corona Chorus. I have plenty of distortion from the amp (modeling amp) to hold me over for a bit.

I kinda want to stay with the same brand until someone can explain otherwise. Thanks for reading

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Chorus seems like it wouldn't get used very often, but maybe it would. Tremolo would be another one in that category, though it's a nice pedal to have. Depends on what you play I reckon.

3. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

I play mostly dirty tones but my son who owns a 1963 Gibson ES 125T is all clean and wants lots of delay, reverb and chorus. I also dig the reverb, like the hall echo type sound. I like to play with the Flanger setting on my modeling amp so I reckon that would be something to buy also.

4. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

You'll get lots of opinions either way, but there's no problem sticking with a single brand, and if you do, BOSS is one of the best. There are pros who use their stuff exclusively. The scope of their product line should keep you busy for quite a while.

There might be particular sounds that are best achieved by one specific pedal, but the BOSS stuff is always usable and reliable.

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The TC pedals are affordable, they are fun w/ the Toneprint app, and they sound very nice.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd go with reverb next because it is a major/common effect used in lots of genres of music. Boss is good for the basics, so it is a safe choice to stick with them. Buying used might be a good way to explore until you find an effect that you really gotta have.

7. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

jpjr50 . . . you are gonna get 600 diff answers.

Here is my contribution.

I LOVE the Strymon series of pedals.

They are more expensive than your garden variety Boss/MXR boxes, but for good reason. Buy once and do it right the first time.
    We have a saying where i come from; ''buying cheap is buying expensive''.

http://www.strymon.net/products/bluesky/ <---- look at some Youtube demos.

8. Grandma's Tele

Grandma's Tele Tele-Meister

If you want a second pedal, why not something like the Line-6 M5 ?

http://fr.line6.com/m5/

It's around 130 $ US and it seems to do well different things!

It seems to be good enough for this guy (Tim Pierce):

Another video:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe get a boss gt100.... Dozens of great pedals and amp sims and USB audio interface for direct to PC use. Has virtually every boss pedal available in it and loads of other popular ones and patches mean you can have loads of different settings a tap away.

10. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Would love to buy Strymon Big Sky, Flint and a DIG but that's big bucks. I just dropped thousands for home recording equipment. I may just buy an AXE FX in place of the Strymon stuff.

11. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Get some dirt.

Grab a Rat or Ts-9

12. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

I have a plethora of pedals on a few 'boards'. Some I did as a 'brand' such as my vintage MXR pedals getting their own board. But I do get a different feeling when I see a mix, and the various shapes, sizes, and colors have an unexplainable appeal.
    I would say you always have a tuner first, then a compressor. A good compressor makes your chicken pickin' licks pop out, and is on every board I have. That and your delay would be an awesome 'start' to pedal boards for my money.

13. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

IF dirt is on the menu . . . RAT all the way !

:twisted:

14. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Blue box!

15. Pcaluaru

Pcaluaru Tele-Meister

In the Jazz world.... Chorus is usually the dirt (the main pedal) On youtube... I remember seeing Tal Fallow with a bunch of other guys discussing pedals.. One or two pedals. Chorus and maybe a reverb/tremlo pedal. (and many were playing solid state amps..) Crazy... here's a bunch of dudes with chops out the yin yang.. treating the chorus like I treat the distortion.

very cool.. (I kinda reeled it in after this... went for a less is more appraoch)

16. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

You need a reverb. It's all over the place in many styles of music. I would go for the BOSS 63 reverb pedal. It emulates the Fender 63 tank reverb. It's a very good pedal. Check it out on You Tube.

17. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

If you've got the dough for an axe fx, it's hard to go wrong with that

18. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

So what kind of music do you play? It helps with suggestions. My wife and I spent a week in Nashville last month and checked out a live bands. Of course I looked at everyone's pedalboard and 90% or more of the pedals I saw were (hand on the Bible) Boss. A few Wampler, Fulltone and Strymon, but besides some tubescreamers it was mostly Boss.

Have you considered getting a multi-effect pedal? It would cost a couple of hundred new, but have almost every effect you could think of. It would introduce you to what effect does what. That way you will know fairly quickly what you want and what you don't. It might be the last pedal you ever buy.

Not being a pusher but start looking here to get an idea http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ME25

19. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the replies. I tried multi-effects pedals such as the Donner Alchemy and Line 6 JM4. Both were cool but really didn't have the sound I'm looking for. I also tried the Joyo Blues Overdrive, the new ones in that tiny body with the glass door that flips open. With the door closed the Joyo logo lit up with an LED. I shouldn't have sold that pedal, it was damn good.

So I picked up a TC Hall of Fame (full size) for $99 shipped on Reverb yesterday. The Boss DD-20 I can pick up on the 14th.

I'll be exchanging my VOX amp for the Orange 35RT this weekend. This amp has some dirt built in which will hold me out for a bit. Then my next pedal will be distortion and chorus.

20. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Just heard of this new pedal called a RAT.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.