Bought an American Original Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by -Hawk-, Sep 18, 2019.

1. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cross posting on two forums, because like every internet person I crave validation.

Finally got off the pot after obsessing over which Strat to buy for a couple months. Contenders were a few different Fenders, various small builders (used), and the Silver Sky. Picked this one for both practical reasons and because it had a lot of what I was looking for: rosewood, sexy nitro finish, a great sounding neck pickup, some modern appointments on a vintage’ish design, etc.

Had to order it, since the one I wanted wasn’t available locally, which scared me a bit. I traded in an old amp head at GC, so that saved me a little cash with the discount.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It’s really nice looking if you’re into red Strats. Gave it a pretty close inspection and didn’t find much wrong with it out of the box, but a few things I had to take care of. Finish was perfect. Feels light - just estimating based off the one guitar I know the weight of, less than 8lbs.

High E was too close to the edge, which was an easy fix. Frets and board are rounded off, so it was really close to the edge.

Fretboard needed a good cleaning and oiling. Pretty dry and some gunk. Looks fantastic now. No sharp frets on account of the rounding they did.

Too much relief. I figured I’d just pull the guard, but it doesn’t have the little route above the neck pickup. Had to pull the neck off. Kind of annoying, so hopefully it’s stable and doesn’t require too many adjustments in the future.

Basic setup stuff. Action was too high, Trem wasn’t floating or decked (I decked it). I didn’t check the fret level, but I will one of these days. Ended up with a Fender-spec action, which is fine. I’ll probably try to get it a little lower down the road, but I just wanted to play the thing.

I set it up with D’addario XT 10’s. Plays a little stiffer than my Esquire. More like my Telemaster I guess - nothing extreme, but noticeable. I don’t mind a little fight because I’m ham-handed.

Acoustically it sounds fine - has some life to it, but isn’t a vibrating mess.

Plugged in - just great. About everything I’d hoped for. Played through my old Ampeg it’s just awesome. I adjusted the amp to make the neck pickup do it’s thing, but thankfully that didn’t make the bridge unusable. Obviously a little bright with the amp set that way, but they wired the tone to the bridge and the pot has a good sweep. Easy to move back and forth that way. Not a really scooped sound, which is my preference.

Neck and bridge were both dynamic and sounded great at or just above breakup.

Position two was the biggest happy surprise. Normally I’ve hated that position in Strats I’ve tried. Too wimpy usually - this has some great sparkle but with a touch of balls. Position four was really nice up the neck, but not as gratifying as pos 2.

Built a few Helix presets to cover the bases too and came away with some great tones. Not old-Ampeg nice, but not much is. It’ll probably get most of its use this way.

In all - really nice guitar. I liked the price of the Professional series, but wanted something that looked and felt a little better and it’s got that going on. Sounds more in line with what I wanted too. In the past, I’ve tried to make Strats act like other guitars, but I’ve finally realized it’s more enjoyable to love them for what they are and what they do best.

2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I like your Strat and like the color. Candy apple red? I especially like your Reverberocket 2.

3. -Hawk-

Yep! CAR and it’s a 66 RR2. It’s my only vintage piece and really a joy to play. I bring it out every now and then, but otherwise it lives in the basement.

4. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

The dark rosewood fretboard is rich. Congrats on your beautiful Strat and play in good health.

-Hawk- likes this.
  5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I wanted the same guitar, nice score.

-Hawk- likes this.
  6. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

"really nice looking" is a gross understatement, that baby is beautiful!!! Enjoy it!

-Hawk- likes this.
  7. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Usually, with all the new guitars I've purchased, after the first adjustment, maybe two, they're settled in so you should be good.

I had to let go of my AV '65 a while back and miss it so, great guitar. Those Originals are on my radar if I can pull it off at some point.

Congrats!

-Hawk- likes this.
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Dang that’s a nice dark board, I think the American original series are pretty nice

-Hawk- likes this.
  9. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

It's got too many pickups ;)

But it looks great! I actually prefer the AO over the professional series - but I like retro.

Cheers

-Hawk- likes this.
  10. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

"A touch of balls" made me laugh like an idiot. Congrats on a great guitar, dig that red!

-Hawk- likes this.
  11. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Very nice, congrats. I have an AV '59 from the last incarnation of the series and I love it.

-Hawk- likes this.
  12. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

Looks great, I love CAR, and glad to hear that it also sounds good!

-Hawk- likes this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

reminds me of Rick Derringer s

14. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Yeah, the rosewood board is dark and nice. Congrats and enjoy!

15. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

Awesome!

16. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje TDPRI Member

I have such GAS for AO '60s in Oly white :) congratulations on yours and may it serve you many many years!

17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Really nice congratulations.

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Beautiful!

19. Chief101

Chief101 TDPRI Member

Completely jealous. Great looking guitar.

20. -Hawk-

Thanks for looking and commenting, folks.

I ended up making a more detailed post on Strat-Talk (RIP) last week about this one.

The good news is that I seem to love the guitar more every time I play it. One of the reasons for that is that I’ve invested time in setting it up.

Unfortunately, I discovered some high frets that were causing notes above the 12th fret to choke out. Since I loved the looks and feel so much I decided it would be worth my time to do a level & crown. Much improved now that I got that done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.