1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bought a used Squier CVC, a little worried

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rab1s, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Rab1s

Rab1s Tele-Meister

Ey guys, I've recently purchased a Used Squier CVC from Guitar Center, with a maple tele neck from another squier. It plays nice and sounds awesome now that I set it up. The guy who owned it before me had 11's on it, which are a bit thick for my taste. I like Hybrids (10 on bass side, 9 on treble.) Anyway, a neck adjustment and action adjustment later, amazingness.

One thing does concern me though. I have a Tort pickguard that's unused right now. The CVC is 5 wholes, this one is 8. I was just gunna use only 5 of the 8, that is until I went to adjust the hight of the neck pickup (there's no screw wholes for the neck pup. It's wood mounted) Someone screwed in 3 more holes into the body, where I guess they had another guard. The problem is, they all cracked the finish. Is this going to be a problem in the future? You can't see them because they're under the guard so that's no big deal, but what I don't want to happen is the cracks to get bigger across the whole body. Will this happen? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Those cracks could spread...you're safer than some because you probably don't deal with big temp differences like we do in the NE.
    You could drizzle in some water thin super glue (not the hardware store stuff...you get the thin stuff at hobby stores).
    I've never done this, but as a life-long offroad motorcycle rider/racer (stick with me..I swear I'm on track!), I know that a hole drilled at the end of a crack in plastic will stop it's spread.
    You could get a very small drill bit and turn it in with your fingers, at the end of the crack...just until you get through the finish.
    It doesn't sound too elegant, but you did say it's all under the pick guard, right? ;()

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I would use a counter sink bit in the holes with the crack to get the finish away from the screws [threads when in. I would CA [super] glue the finish at the holes/cracks FIRST.

Would not mind seeing a picture to see if that opinion might alter.

4. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

It would surprise me if the cracks spread across the body. I've squeezed wood glue into minor cracks and smeared into minor finish cracks I've had under pickguards, but that was overkill.

With paint cracks, you could sand them gently until the extremity disappears if there's enough space out of sight.

Wood is very flexible and Tele's are built like brick *****-houses, so I wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy it.

5. DTPBUSCHPILOT

DTPBUSCHPILOT Tele-Afflicted

If you use super glue get the kind that doesn't fog or craze the plastic

6. jtelecaster62

jtelecaster62 Tele-Meister

If it does crack, it's considered relic'd or aged... and people pay good money for that stuff. Consider it an upgrade.

7. Teleman1985

Teleman1985 TDPRI Member

Stop worrying, slap the guard on and get down to playing the ***** outta that thing :D That's what happens when I pick up my CVC anyway - many hours later the mrs has to come and tell me it's time for bed!

8. mg426

mg426 Tele-Holic

My CVC tele is just wonderfull...a set of 52 nocasters and a little adjustments and it is sweet....I have managed to put a few Gnarly chips in the finnish...It bothers me some but when I play it ....Everything is better...!!

9. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

You are talking about cracks in the body and not the pickguard, correct?

Do the superglue thing on the three extra holes. Be sure and swirl it around
    with a toothpick, otherwise it may fill the hole to where the screw wont go in.

10. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

It is a used CVC. Do the above at most and play it. No worries.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes.

There's no major stress on these little failures; they're probably stable as they are. Or a little TLC won't hurt - do what seems right and just play.

12. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

so is it.

13. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would think a pickguard screw hole with a screw in it, would be more likely to crack the finish than a hole with no screw in it. I don't think you'll have an issue over time, with an empty screw hole. But, that's just my take on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.