Bought a new shortscale today. I like it better than the old shortscale.

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by studio1087, Jun 12, 2019.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I had a Squier Bronco bass for home recording. It was one of Hello Kitty Batz Maru basses. I also have the Kitty guitar - trying to pass that one along as well.

I went to play an Ibanez full scale bass that was $199 at GC and I knew it wouldn’t work for an old guitar player (me). The full scale felt so heavy and the big reaches were difficult.

I picked up a Mikro and I loved it. The pickups are very loud compared to the Bronco. When I play the jazz pickup only with tone rolled back I get that old school jazz sound that feels like the bass is saying “furr - furr furr furr”. The scale is 28.6” scale and the bass fits in a Fender guitar bag very well.

Scale - here it is next to an 83 Roadstar. It’s comfy for a guitar player.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I read that there are a couple of other Mikro fans here. That’s cool. I’m going to have a lot of fun with this.

[​IMG]

Sounds so big and punchy!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

studio1087 likes this.
  3. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

Nice! Good review.
    I like the way my Squier Bronco bass feels and plays, but the pickup is anemic. I've got a dual-rail humbucker replacement pickup for it a few months ago, but have not put it in yet. Getting an Ibby Mikro bass sounds more fun.:) They seem to come in lots of colors too.

studio1087 likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife, the bass player, had a Mikro for a few years. It lost during a reduction of her herd, but not without lots of hesitation. To my ears it seemed very versatile with really good pickups, especially compared to a Bronco. Fits in a guitar case and easy to play for my guitar fingers as well. Enjoy.

studio1087 likes this.
  5. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Nice! I got a Mikro when they first came out and liked it but I didn't use it much and eventually got rid of it. Last winter I bought another to use at my cramped home desk. The new one has a PF fingerboard, slightly different tuners, nut, head stock shape and has less ground hum. I put on a vintage style (threaded saddles) Fender Bridge solely to get the strings to lined with the pole pieces better. I think the stock pickups are pretty good all things considered. Fun little basses.

studio1087 likes this.
  6. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

The pickup in the Bronco Bass should always be swapped. It's just a bottom-of-the-barrel Squier Strat pickup. I yanked mine and put in this one from Curtis Novak. Voiced to be like a '51 P-Bass pickup.

https://www.curtisnovak.com/shop/mm-bass-v/

[​IMG]

DSC07749.JPG

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

For many years I've used a '93 Korean Fender Squier P-Bass whenever I was called on to play bass. Only thing I upgraded was the tuners. Oh, and a tortoise p/guard for tonal improvement. :))) Stock pickups and bridge. But a few months ago I bought a Chinese-made Hofner Club Bass.....obviously 30" scale. I put flatwounds on it (as with my P-Bass) and it's FUN AS HECK. I have smallish hands, and, while I like a really fat guitar neck, the "reach" on a 34" scale bass can get tough for me. Short scale is the only way to go for a lot of Beatles and British Invasion stuff.

studio1087 and E5RSY like this.
  8. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

AAD4A03D-84E7-4F06-B4AD-0A76C76F2AB8.jpeg Love that Roadstar! I bought a Epi Beatle clone to go with my fretless Fender Jazz 5 years ago. Think I paid $250 for it new. It’s really a well made little guy and fun to have if I ever finally get my Beatles tribute band together.

nojazzhere, Piggy Stu and studio1087 like this.
  9. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Noice.

Love the Roadstar too. I have always had a soft spot for those.

studio1087 likes this.
  10. studio1087

I understand but I wasn't going to mod this particular Bronco.....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I always thought that if you buy this model then you let it be. No one wants one of these if it's 20 years old and hacked up. Back in the day it was priced $50 higher than the standard Bronco. For $50 I had to buy the one that made me smile! I stand by my extremely goofy decision. Stupid is as stupid does! Old picture.....

[​IMG]

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Shorties deserve more respect

stinkey, TequilaCaster and kookaburra like this.
  12. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I do enjoy a shortie. I borrowed the Vox from a friend in 1978, bought the Musicmaster in 2004, then added the uke bass in 2015. I did have an MIJ Fender Power Jazz Special, but sold it last year as it got very little play.

upload_2019-6-13_22-38-3.jpeg upload_2019-6-13_22-40-32.jpeg

Wyzsard and studio1087 like this.
  13. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Congrats! I've been wondering about shorter than 30 scales, and that gives me some perspective. Short scaler myself, a Squier Jag bass.

studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

My beloved Mextang PJ.

002.JPG

stinkey, studio1087 and E5RSY like this.
  15. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Did you consider their short scale Talman bass? I like the more traditional looks of those a lot.

Scott

16. studio1087

I considered the full scale Talman. It weighed as much as two Les Pauls. They didn't have the short scale Talman in stock. I loved the Mikro and I knew it would fit in a Levy's guitar gig bag that I had at home. That's about as far as the thought process went. The full scale Talmans are only $199. The Mikro was $179 and I had a 15% coupon. It was about $160 with taxes. It's like holding a light Stratocater.

Digital Larry and E5RSY like this.
  17. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I got a TMB30 last year, about the same price as the Mikro. I tried a Mikro at the same time and chose the TMB instead, can't exactly remember why. Putting flatwounds on it was pretty essential. I play it most of the time when I'm playing bass. My OLP is still within reach. It's not super exceptional and probably wants flatwounds as well.

I've played bass for many years and think I should probably have a nicer one "just because" but the impulse hasn't fully taken hold. I like the feel of some of the full length Talmans but really do NOT want an active bass.

studio1087 likes this.
  18. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

Did somebody say...short-scale?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stinkey and studio1087 like this.
  19. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Those Vista MusicMasters are great instruments. Solid hardware and a very good pickup.

20. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

They have a big following over on TB...

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/official-mikro-bass-club-part-3.1070840/

studio1087 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.