1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bought a new Fender Jaguar...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bob M, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All-

Last year I bought a Troy Van Leeuwin Jazzmaster and was impressed with everything about it. I liked it so much that I thought another offset was a good idea and bought a MIM Classic '60s lacquer finished Jag. Fiesta Red, American Special pick-ups, traditional wiring and hardware. Deluxe HS case. It arrived yesterday and while it needed tweaking (action a little too low) basically played well right out of the box. More than well in fact. Fit and finish very nice and the lacquer finish is really well done. One issue-I noticed a very faint hair line finish crack at the neck joint. I believe that to be a common occurrence. Do I return it based on the finish crack? I'm willing to bet a high percentage of the lacquer finised Fenders may have a similar condition. Opinions?

fendertx likes this.
  2. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Pictures or it never happened! Sounds like I'd keep it as long as it seems like it's just the finish.

3. metale

metale Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

We like pics :)

I wouldn't call it normal, but I've had guitars with bigger cracks there and they played fine and I wouldn't replace them because of it.

And post pictures ;)

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Congrats on your Jag! You know the deal, pics or you’re just yanking our chains :)

As for the crack, I’d definitely ask for a slight refund if you really like the feel and weight of yours. It might bug you from here on out too, so I’d send it back if that’s the case.

5. Bob M

Pictures- Jag 2.JPG Jag 1.JPG Jag 3.JPG
    The Finish crack is really hard to see. I am thinking it is insignificant. I was expecting issues with the bridge, but so far the only thing I notice is that the saddle adjustment screws seem a little loose. Maybe a drop of thread lock. Not wild about the black vibrato arm tip. The arm also needs to be bent a little to improve the travel. My Jazzmaster's arm is perfect so I can copy that. All in all one of the better new guitars I've bought in a while. I used it at band practice last night and it more than covered the bases that I need. A matching headstock would have really topped this off nicely!

6. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sweet... mind if I ask how much $$?

7. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  8. Bob M

A little over a grand. Maybe a little pricey, but it included the deluxe hardshell case and the American Special pick ups. And the lacquer finish as well...

9. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

That's around what people ask for when those pop up. Still a decent amount of money though if its something you werent made aware of. Maybe see if you can get a discount?

10. Chuckster

Thanks Bob... I'm waiting (hoping) Fender produces a Silver Sparkle version of Johnny Marr's Jag. He used one on tour recently so they'd be smart to release that. Wife has given me the green light if they do.

Enjoy your NGD... she's a beauty .

11. Bob M

Thanks! A silver sparkle Fender is an awesome thing. I was watching Buck Owens on Youtube and Don Rich was playing a silver sparkle Tele-Might be my next purchase...

BorderRadio and Chuckster like this.
  12. Chuckster

20181021_210656.jpg

metale likes this.
  13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Chuckster likes this.
  14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have the same guitar. All I did to it was put in a Steytrem colette and restrung it with TI flats.

Happy New Jaguar Day!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.