Bought a new Baja, question for the Tele experts!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by petemoss41, Jun 25, 2019.

1. petemoss41

petemoss41 TDPRI Member

So my new Baja arrived today. I just wanted to ask a quick question. The bridge seems to be slightly off centre, at least when I look at the pickguard. (I admit it looks more off centre than it does in the picture below) Is this something that needs to be addressed?
    Also there seems to be a slight gap between the neck and the body, this does not bother me, I just wanted to check if it this is normal or not. If this is all normal please go easy on me lol.
    Thanks so much for the help guys!!

81C60C9E-156E-4273-A008-8F2ABF2D64C2.jpeg A5F78EB9-01EE-4497-9CFD-9F0CB99567FC.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

I would call all of that normal. The '52 AVRI Hot Rod on my avatar has the same pickguard off center thing going on as yours and I've noticed almost ALL 52 hot rods I've seen have the same thing going on for whatever reason. Your bridge isn't off center, its the pickguard that's either not cut perfectly and/or slightly off center. The neck gap isn't at all "bad" by my estimation and I can't tell from the pics but perhaps the neck might need an adjustment in that direction thus closing the gap. Regarding little gaps or pickguards that aren't perfectly centered, a luthier once told me... "its a guitar not a Porsche".

3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I bet if you centered the neck better and remounted the pickguard, both of your "problems would be solved. You might have to redrill a couple of the holes for the pickguard.

petemoss41 likes this.
  4. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

You could loosen the neck screws a little and shift the neck. Guard too.

Detune it if the string tension worries you. Doesn't take much force.

hemingway, petemoss41 and Bones like this.
  5. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

The string spacing is all over the place, low E is well away from the height adjust screw and B is almost resting on the screw, grooved saddles maybe would help.
    I would try a set of Rutters compensated saddles or the cheaper Gotoh In-Tune ones.

6. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Lovely guitar that.

Do get the Gotoh (or similar) intonated brass saddles with a rut for guiding the strings. Avoid the Fenders though.

I also shimmed my neck with the smallest Stewmac shim to get a better break angle at the bridge.

If you look close enough, many Fenders are geometrically slighly off. All three of mine are. But they have scope for adjustement because how they are constructed.

7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Very common issue. Loosen the neck plate screws a little, move the neck sideways to where you want it (don't be scared to use a bit of brute force - this is a tele, after all), so that it's nice and central and the strings aren't in the screw threads, and tighten the screws again.

Perfect for life.

8. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

Just put Gotoh In-Tunes to my SP Baja the other day. Not too many saddles back here to choose from if I want them now instead of buying overseas and wait, wait, wait...

But they’re much better than originals or Fender’s own slanted ones. Keeps string spacing nice and even. And the intonation is acceptable, not perfect.

375D73CB-A4C9-4670-90BF-60BCCB38C7D4.jpeg

9. petemoss41

petemoss41 TDPRI Member

Thanks for all helpful replies guys. Such a great resourceful, community here.
    I dropped off the guitar for a setup, and they are putting on compensated saddles for me as well.
    Cheers!

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I like the Baja saddles. Mine is as perfect as you can get w the well tempered scale. Every Cowboy chord sounds great, not the case on many guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.