1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bought a magazine

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blue metalflake, Mar 9, 2021.

1. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

15C8A1A4-A908-4CA5-86DB-AD478DB6852C.jpeg Don’t usually buy too many guitar magazines, but the latest issue of Guitarist (in the UK) sucked me in, with a supplement on Fender 75th anniversary.
    Some nice photos + 4 Fender beer mats.

2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I really loved having a subscription to Guitar Player magazine through most of the 1990s. It was a great period, staff-wise. It was populated by what seemed like a complementary bunch of clever smart-asses who wrote well and chose an unfailingly interesting array of article and review subjects. It was a huge influence on me. I drifted away gradually after some staff turnover and now pick up guitar magazines only occasionally...but I miss that period.

3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I used to buy hi-fi magazines some music mags, and the occasional guitar mag, but they seem crazy expensive these days.

Maybe I'll treat meself.

oldfish, Fendereedo and radiocaster like this.
  4. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

If you look at the subscription offers to both "Guitarist" and "Guitar" ( other guitar magazines are available...) They often offer introductory "free gifts" which, coupled with up to 50% price discount, actually make them pretty good value. For the first year at least!

eg Current Guitarist offer is £26.50 subscription every 6 months, with a "free" G7th Performance 3 capo

I've no affiliation... but if you fancy treating yourself and could use a new capo...?:lol:

Fendereedo and hemingway like this.
  5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a subscription to Rolling Stone back in the 1970s. I liked reading the record reviews. I then had a subscription to Guitar Player in the 1980s.

I still have most of the issues of them both.

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I still get ' Guitarist' once in a while, and used to get 'Guitar and Bass' mag too.
    Loved the great photos and well-written, conversational gear reviews.

I had two really long music magazine subscriptions:

When I turned 16 in 1975, my mom got me a Rolling Stone subscription as a Birthday gift- I kept that going till the mid 1990's

- then in 1980, I got my subscription to Guitar Player magazine all the way until maybe 2014. ( I let it lapse a few times but would renew), but tired of it

- now for about 5-6 years, it's Vintage Guitar magazine, more my speed- it skews old, like me!

electrichead, teleteej and Fendereedo like this.
  7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I used to buy Guitarist regularly, but haven't for well over 4-5 years now. I got fed up of the reviewers telling me how great every guitar was, and when you tried them, they were crap. Waste of money in the long run. I occasionally pick one up and flick through it in my local supermarket, but that's it.

WingedWords, oldfish and 7171551 like this.
  8. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

The current edition follows that formula!

WingedWords, Fendereedo and 7171551 like this.
  9. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

I don't disagree with the above comments re reviews... but I just like reading guitar pron :twisted::lol:

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Now that I think of it, I don't think I've bought a magazine in over 10 years. Back in the pre-internet days, I'd buy or subscribe to guitar mags. Now, YouTube, forums and such have replaced them. If I want to peruse gear, I can browse Sweetwater or MF sites.

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I might have to get that. They're about 15 bucks here, tho...

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Well, before the internet I sometimes used to buy other kinds of magazine - you know, for the articles.

Fendereedo, 7171551 and electrichead like this.
  13. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Premier guitar is a worthy rag. Imho

Fendereedo and thankyouguitar like this.
  14. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

I used to buy all the guitar magazines, especially the English ones...spent a lot of money on them...:(
    Now I just download them and read up on the Ipad...:cool:

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

I had a subscription to Guitar Player for about ten years in the '00s. I enjoyed it for the most part. But sometimes I'll come across a GP from the '80s, and the depth and length of the feature interviews back then is really impressive. I have one with Jerry Garcia on the cover from the '80s (and another with Holdsworth), and the interview spends real time on a bunch of worthwhile topics, from technique, to theory, to technology, to experiences of being in a working band. I wish they'd get back to digging deep like that.

elihu likes this.
  16. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

How is it? Usually these "tribute" editions add little but a ton of ads.....

I buy a few magazines. I still like print.

I LOVE Fretboard Journal!

I strongly suggest getting a subscription as it's a wholly unique and high quality "journal" as opposed to advertisement driven magazines!

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  17. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth TDPRI Member

Always lusted after ‘Q’ magazine for music info, but it was like the economist and new scientist, horribly expensive.... good journalism I guess... not even sure if Q survived.... maybe I should check....

Fendereedo likes this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

you should have read it in the 70's who's who of guitar players were the columnists... it kind of got less cool over the decades...

another great magazine was a magazine that was only around for a couple of years 'Country Guitar' they were a treasure trove!

Fendereedo likes this.
  19. Eoghaner

Eoghaner TDPRI Member

For the last year or so, I was getting Guitarist, Guitar Magazine and Total Guitar for free through my local library's RB Digital subscription app, but that ends this month sadly. Of the three, I'd subscribe to Guitar Magazine in a heartbeat; of the three, it's the one that can convince me to read the articles and reviews of things I wouldn't usually read, and I always feel the better for it. The standard of the writing is usually excellent.

I totally agree with the glowing reviews for everything. I don't think I've ever seen a score lower than 8, and certainly not lower than that. I wonder is it the case where they give the company final say on whether to print the review? Perhaps companies decline to have the review printed if it's less than an 8?

Fendereedo likes this.
  20. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

Oh, that kind of magazine.

I subscribe to Acoustic Guitar and Fretboard Journal. I read Premier Guitar at Sweetwater while my wife takes her lesson.

D.H.

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.