Bought a Guitar Today Without Plugging it In (music store tire kicker)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by noah330, Aug 20, 2019.

1. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

So today I went into a guitar store and saw a fiddle I wanted to buy. The people are very nice and told me what the guitar was. It was a really good deal IMHO and when I felt how light it was and how beautiful the neck was and how it played I said "I'll take it".

The guy asked me if I wanted to plug it in and I said it was cool because some guy was playin' teh blooze and I didn't want to interupt his performance.

So anyways I gave a deposit on it because I have one of those $1000/day limits on my ATM card and will bring in the extra $500 tomorrow and pick it up. Meanwhile as I'm leaving the shop teh bloozeman tells them he will have to think about it and maybe will come back over the weekend.

How come people go to stores just to make it so people can't try something out they may want to buy? The store is in a rock and a tough place so I don't blame them but honestly, if I don't like something I just don't buy it.

Plus, this guy chimed in on my convo with the guy working there and knew I was buying the guitar. Seeing as how he wasn't you would have thought he would have known enough to stop playing so I could check out my purchase for 3 mins.

BTW I bought a '71 Black Beauty with Throwbacks and a replaced bridge.

Geo, telemnemonics, Paul G. and 12 others like this.
  2. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

Maybe the blues player doesn't shop for things the same way that you do and wants to think about it and maybe come back over the weekend?

3. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

What's there to think about really? I mean, if you like it buy it and if you don't then don't waste a ton of time playing something you don't like.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  4. Allan Allan

Allan Allan TDPRI Member

You declined the amp just to go home and complain about it online?

5. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

no i declined because i had to get to Chick fil A before the lunch rush. Less of a complaint and more of an observation. I don't understand why people go on and on playing if they're not ready to buy.

daddyplaysbass and esetter like this.
  6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I've sold guitars and amps to people (friends) knowing that the only they will buy is if I will lend it to them for a week. They need to play it--over and over before they can make up their mind. I'm not that way, but I will go ahead and lend out for a week if it will seal the deal. It usually does.

But if I see something I like, I play it, check it over carefully for any issues, play it again, all in one sitting. If I still like it, I'll jump on it like fat guy on a plate of wings. Seen to many deals disappear by hesitating, even by putting a guitar down in a store and walking away, then coming back to find it in someone else's hands. 'He who hesitates is lost', 'Early bird gets the worm' and all that.

Piggy Stu, Telekarster and Ironwolf like this.
  7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Yeah I guess this is more about guy is noodling in a store and guy who is buying guitar can't plug it in because it would just be a racket.

verb boten likes this.
  8. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

So, you went into the shop looking for a fiddle, and left with a guitar.
    What's wrong with this picture?

9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

You got a '71 Black Beauty for $1500.00? That seems like a good deal, congratulations. If I could find one one around here for that price I would buy it, everyone seems to want $3k or more.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Bruxist and noah330 like this.
  10. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was waiting for my wife to get done wasting time in the woman stores. If you just asked, I would have stopped playing so you could impress me.

11. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oh! How was it when you got it home?

Deeve likes this.
  12. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

You sure you just weren't intimidated by the raw soulfulness of teh blooze guy's noodles? Sounds to me like you just were scared to play

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

The answer resides within the question.

14. Bones

mmmmmm blooze noodlz

Greggorios likes this.
  15. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Well, there's that too. I mean, cutting heads in a guitar store on a Tuesday morning is how Robert Johnston, DDS lost his soul.

The guitar has an old headstock repair, tuners were changed but changed back, replaced bridge and has Throwbacks. It has the tiny volute and plays beautiful, though.

I'll have it home tomorrow so then I can say how it sounds.

16. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Headstock repair? Was wondering why so cheap. I would return it. No matter what they say, it will NEVER hold tune. Headstock repairs never do.

17. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I understand the feeling, yet I'm going to estimate that not as many consumers are going to be as experienced and knowledgeable as you are. Seems like you've been gathering and assessing data at a professional level for some time. Not all guitar buyers are similarly equipped.

I have a hard time with the chaos of some guitar stores, where 5 or 6 amps are blaring, drum kit going, whatever. I try to avoid weekends.

But seems like you were on a mission - a well priced black beauty. Congrats! I've see throwbaks advertised here on these pages and have read about them, but haven't played any. It would be interesting to hear your take on those; oh, ok, in the time it's taken to type this, it seems like you no like them.

but, Chick-fil-A? really? hmmm, I like your opinions on equipment and tech, but i guess I'll have to take your food opinions with a grain of salt...

18. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I would ask the shop owner if it is possible to plug it into a amp somewhere quiet. Or ask the man playing to give you five minutes. Anyway, I hope you will be happy with it. :)

Fretting out and suave eddie like this.
  19. Bones

I almost never plug in in a shop, there's little point IMHO, it's not going to sound the same as it would playing through my amps in my house. If I like the way a guitar feels and it can be set up and intonated, I will buy it. Heck, I have bought plenty of guitars online and have always been happy with one or two exceptions.

20. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

^^^ this.

Jim622 and william tele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.