Bought a 6 Sting Banjo, am I a bad person?

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
Go find a video, description or discussion of her using one. Her musical history is reasonably well documented.
do you recall predicting her future use? allow me to remind.

"and am just as sure that she never will".

And of course my reference was the sound of the nylon strings, never suggesting she'd play a six stringer.

Last edited:

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I doubt that Ms. Giddens ever had much to do with a six string banjo, and am just as sure that she never will.

That's a risky pronouncement about someone who played in a group with Mr. Flemons, who plays a now famous 6 string banjo.

domflemons-44966564fc9677581b3d69c2efbff1d056266dd3-s1100-c50.jpg

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
And it's not the first time,.. had a Deering B6 yrs back, didn't stick. But the desire had cropped up again and I've been searching for a Goodtime Solana Nylon 6 string banjo (an odd duck, discontinued and rare). One popped up yesterday used at a GC in NOLA and I went for it, I see it's shipped this morning. Kinda excited!

View attachment 981367

That's a cool instrument. I love the gut string banjo sound. I'd really like a fretless gut string.

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
That's a cool instrument. I love the gut string banjo sound. I'd really like a fretless gut string.
Fretless would be fun for a minute for me,.. I run out of stuff to do quickly.

I received the Goodtime Solana 6 today, no gig bag (tho the GC ad said included) in a box in bubble wrap. But it was just fine, just two days in shipping. Adjusted the neck pitch and spent a hour getting use to the scale length and string spacing (two inch nut),.. and it's got a baseball bat size neck. Definitely needs a strap.

Drop D tuning works nicely, tried out some Blind Willie McTell, Robert Wilkins, John Hurt, etc. etc. The Solana 6 is a cool unit, fits right in w/ the roots(y) stuff I like. It has a pickup, that's next to try out. Certainly has an unusual sound, looking forward to taking it out on my acoustic duo gig.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Fretless would be fun for a minute for me,.. I run out of stuff to do quickly.

I received the Goodtime Solana 6 today, no gig bag (tho the GC ad said included) in a box in bubble wrap. But it was just fine, just two days in shipping. Adjusted the neck pitch and spent a hour getting use to the scale length and string spacing (two inch nut),.. and it's got a baseball bat size neck. Definitely needs a strap.

Drop D tuning works nicely, tried out some Blind Willie McTell, Robert Wilkins, John Hurt, etc. etc. The Solana 6 is a cool unit, fits right in w/ the roots(y) stuff I like. It has a pickup, that's next to try out. Certainly has an unusual sound, looking forward to taking it out on my acoustic duo gig.

I've played fretless guitar for a long time, and I play banjo kind of a weird way, so it's a natural for me. It's just a matter of time before I have some sort of fretless banjo.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
I've played fretless guitar for a long time, and I play banjo kind of a weird way, so it's a natural for me. It's just a matter of time before I have some sort of fretless banjo.
You're in Wisconsin. There's a great little music store in Madison called Spruce Tree Music. Here are a couple six-string banjos they have for sale:

I used to go in there when I had no money.

It was torture.

toomuchfun

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats on the new instrument. And remember when using the term "bad" it should always be "compared to what?".

I have a cheap Dean 6 string banjo and they are a lot of fun. The neck has an electric guitar feel to it. It stays in tune very well and has an acceptable sound.

I quickly learned bending strings and trying to sustain are better left to other instruments. But at an acoustic jam it adds a nice flavor, and just about everyone there will want to give it a spin.

It came with heavy acoustic strings, but I found light electric strings work great. I also have better luck playing with the backside of a regular flat pick than the pointy end. I'm sure fingerpicks would sound nice but that's not for me.

And if a real 5 string banjo player shows up I put mine in the case and stick to guitar.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Buckethead has a 6 string banjo that he plays. He actually wrote an entire album, on his the day, after an extensive back surgery a few years ago. He used the banjo because it was light enough to hold without being in any pain or discomfort.

The album, cover is the banjo with a spine as the neck of the banjo. I'll post a pic of it in a second.

images (40).jpeg

straightlbues

Tele-Meister
I play tenor banjo, and also have an acoustic and an electric 6 string banjo. They are all fun to play. I approach the 6 string as a banjo, not a guitar. Just like when I am playing guitar with an organ pedal, I play stuff I would hear from an organ. If you use that approach, you will find some very cool stuff on the 6 string banjo.