Both h.bucker pickups in series - mini switch

old_picker

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Using a three way toggle as selector switch.
I'd like to be able to run both humbuckers in either series or parralel. I already have parralel when the toggle is in the middle position. I'd like to use a mini toggle to switch the pickups from parralel into series mode when middle position is selected.

Is this possible?
If so how?

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
First of all one of the pickups would need to not have the coil negative (ground) wire connected to the cover............if they have one.

Second, I'm thinking two hb's in series may end up quite muddy/DARK...............but maybe you would like that ??

But yes it sure is possible. So how many wires (leads) do the pickup have? What are the pups, brand, and model?

If fact with test leads you could hook it up to try if before committing to a switch.

Last edited:

old_picker

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Pickups are:
Tonerider generator bridge
Tonerider rocksong neck
Both 4 conductor + bare ground.

Jury is out on dark/muddy
Some say yes, others no.
I'll backpost on my result

A wiring diagram would be helpful
Many thanks

illusinc231

NEW MEMBER!
This is something I've been kicking around,two pickups in series,in my case 4 wire humbuckers but could work for single coil also.
I imagine two mini toggles,on-on dpdt.It would render any combination that a three-way would but summing the DC resistance of the pickups instead of halving the output.
SeriesDiagram.jpg

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
This is a nice simple diagram. Single coils but regardless you still work with ONE positive (Red) and one ground (Green) lead. Pickup # 2 bridge.

Attachments

• series_howto.gif
    series_howto.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 19