Boss WL-20/WL-50 Wireless

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Kayle McGuire, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

Did you guys check out Boss’s latest release?

https://www.boss.info/us/products/wl-20_wl-20l/

From Boss:

“Simply dock the transmitter and receiver together for about 10 seconds to set the optimum wireless connection. Newly developed BOSS technology delivers premium audio performance with rock-solid stability, ultra-low latency, and 50ft range.

Built-in rechargeable batteries provide up to 12 hours of continuous playing time.

Simple charging with a standard USB adaptor (5 V/500 mA or greater)
    Working in the 2.4 GHz frequency band, the optimum channel is set automatically to ensure rock-solid audio performance with absolutely no drop-outs. And with ultra-low latency of just 2.3ms, you’ll always enjoy great playing feel with no lag.

Literally as simple to use as a standard guitar cable. The small transmitter plugs into your instrument, while a matching receiver plugs into a pedal or amp.”

IMG_1659.JPG IMG_1660.JPG IMG_1661.JPG

What do you guys think about it??

KM

Hammerhead and brookdalebill like this.
  2. Tele Slacker

Tele Slacker Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’m interested in this as well. Also curious if you could mount the transmitter on your guitar strap and connect it with a short instrument cable (one end female, one end male) to maintain a more traditional appearance.

Kayle McGuire likes this.
  3. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

This ^

I hate having a ”dongle” sticking out... its a psychological thing for me... rather have the thingy on my back or strap.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Love it, thanks for the “heads up”!

5. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

I have the line 6 version of this. 2 of them for different boards. Great.

6. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

UPDATE: I just order the Boss WL-50 wireless system for my pedalboard from my local Boss dealer. I will let y’all know what I think of it when it arrives!

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

Very cool! The fewer cables you have to fuss with at a gig the better. And it’s rechargeable.

You can get (or make) a short female to male 1 ft cable to achieve this. You could also make a Velcro holder to mount it to your strap.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    the tool likes this.
  8. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

Just saw the price point for the WL-20 on Reverb.com ($180) - a little pricey but probably worth it in the long run for the convenience.

One question I still have (maybe it's obvious) - if you use the WL-50 for your pedalboard, and you have a WL-20, I assume you can use the WL-20 transmitter at the output of the effects chain and the receiver goes to your amp? It seems like it can handle a line level signal, but it would good know beforehand.

One reason I could use this type of wireless setup is that when there is a confined space for the band at a gig, I can't count the number of times I've stepped on my guitar cable and disconnected myself (yikes!). :eek:

BTW - I noticed in the demo videos that they plug into a Katana 100 Artist. That would be the ultimate gig rig. Just set up your amp and plug into a single outlet! WL-20 takes care of your guitar connection, and all your effects are on the Katana (perhaps controlled by a GA-FC)! :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.