Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander - bridging the modeler/amp gap

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by scout2112, Mar 26, 2020.

1. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I bought a 50W tube amp head and knew was going to be too loud for most of the situations that I practice in, so I started looking around at various options like attenuators, load boxes, and reactive loads. I've been using modelers for over a year now, and started to see a lot of reactive loads that add impulse responses on the back end so you don't need a speaker cabinet at all. I knew right away this was exactly what I wanted and decided on the Boss TAE and it seemed ahead of the rest of the pack right now in a few ways. Namely unlike other reactive loads that have a fixed impedance, the Boss TAE has a switchable impedance that makes a big difference. My amp is also switchable, so I can change a few knobs and instantly hear the difference between 4/8/16 ohms. Also the Boss has a limited number of available effects like delay, compression, and reverb... and since I sold off my pedal board when I switched to a modeler AND my amp head doesn't have reverb built-in, this is another very useful feature for me. In fact combined with the footswitch and a multi fx pedal added in FX loop it's about all I would ever need for effects.

Now as to why this unit is so cool... I can drive my amp head at the sweet spot which would be insanely loud by today's standards, and output to a PA speaker at bedroom volume levels and it sounds so good... I'm using a Yamaha DKR10 Mk II, but any FRFR speaker will work. Best part is I've got it loaded up with several of my own cabIR.eu and Ownhammer IRs, and with the flip of a switch (or press of a button on the pedal board) go from a perfectly mic'd Vox 1x12 speaker cabinet, to a Marshall 4x12 with vintage Greenbacks, to a Fender Tweed, to a closed-back 2x12 with Creambacks, etc... the versatility is great - I don't think I'll ever go back to using a real speaker cabinet again. There's also some tone-shaping controls on the TAE that alters the voicing of the unit and your amp.

Bottom line is I love my Boss TAE and would recommend anyone using a tube amp that's "too loud" to look into one of these. By the way it says in the manual that it's only for tube amps... not for use with solid state.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  2. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

it's 1300 bucks though.
    for that money i would just go and buy a smaller amp.

3. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

That's full retail price... you can get them for far less. I didn't pay much more than what Marshall charges for one of their 2x12 studio cabinets these days.

4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for this info - I didn't even know such a device existed.

I've got some cool tube amps that mainly just sit at this point, for obvious reasons. And I always seem to be picky about cabs and speakers...sometimes being REALLY picky.

And for whatever reason, I've never been very interested in traditional attenuators. It sounds like this box would potentially address much of my disinterest.

Yeah, full retail on this particular device is steep, but if someone really gets some usage out of it, it could be worth the price. And finding one cheaper obviously makes it more viable for more players.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.