1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss - Waza Tonebender

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JoeNeri, Dec 1, 2020.

1. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

LMAO!

4pickupguy likes this.
  2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I checked with my [pedal] dealer....no news on pricing yet. He said "vendors" are being unusually quiet right now about stuff. No idea what that means other than still no word on pricing...

3. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

Boss doesn’t own JHS, they just collaborated on one pedal

4. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

I thought Roland corp bought JHS the way Dunlop bought Way Huge? If not, then thanks for the correction.

5. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

called my music store and im now on the list for when this pedal arrives

6. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Did they tell you what it will cost?

7. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

no..they didnt even know about it...the guy said he'll let me know when they come in

8. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

$350 !!!

LMFAO !

9. Blues Twanger

I have a line on one for $349:D.

They are only making 3000 so you know they will be on eBay and Reverb for quite a bit more than the asking price as soon as folks get their hands on them. Flippers gonna flip!

10. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Make that $349.99!

I’m a player, not a collector - which partly explains why I’m not rich. When I flip a pedal, I’m just trying to get my money back.

Seems that Boss is betting on the collector/speculator/flipper as its new customer base to make a quick and easy profit. To hell with the working musicians who have supported the company for decades.

Just my opinion. To each his/her own.

BTW, if I wanted a Tonebender, there are a bunch of high-quality clones on the market for less than $100. If Boss priced a Tonebender pedal at $99, they’d probably sell tens of thousands and make way more in profits.

Chiogtr4x and Blues Twanger like this.
  11. bluesholyman

Wow! That is painful.....

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why the “outrage”?

Last I checked OEM new in original enclosure retails for about $750.

This has a tie in to the OEM plus Boss enclosure/engineering to preserve characteristics with a buffer. And is less than 1/2 that cost.

Both parties in the collaboration need to make money. And it’s a limited run with limited appeal.

That list is about what I expected.

Given that every single flipping pedal on my board I have literally bought and sold at least twice, and I probably cycled through at least 4 alternatives (some of which I also bought multiple time), each pedal on my board (all humble Boss and a TC tuner) probably cost me at least $1000. :lol::(:confused::cry:

I doubt I’m alone in that.

Is $350 for a rare pedal that is not a clone but re-engineered OEM collab really that bad?

13. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

No outrage here. Just some disappointment.

Just the observation that Boss is known for high-quality, original designs at affordable prices. The only thing lacking in its dirt pedal line is a decent fuzz pedal (the FZ-5 isn’t it). How about a new Boss fuzz pedal for the same price as a BD-2 or OD-3?

Boss responded to the modified-pedal market with its Waza line. Apparent they’ve decided to cash in on the high-end boutique market as well. So be it. Have at it. Just not for me. Hopefully, for that price you get a paint job that doesn’t easily chip.

FYI...my pedal board is minimalist by TDPRI and TGP standards, usually no more than 3 pedals. Cost for my current overdrive, fuzz, and phaser = about $200, all high-quality clones and/or original, small-builder designs.

One last thing, MilwMark...if you purchased the new Boss Tonebender, would you gig with it? We’ve commented on each other’s posts for years and I know you to be a dedicated working musician. Would you risk chipping the paint (for which Boss pedals are notorious) and lessening its resale value, or even risk having it stolen?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    MilwMark likes this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fair question. I would. I don’t think anyone would actually know what it is, TBH.

And if it worked for me first try, it would be cheaper than any of the pedals on my modest 4 pedal (including tuner) board (including the cost of cycling pedals in each spot to land on these)! Now where is that “hitting self on the head with hammer” emoji these days?

That said, I’ve never bonded with a fuzz, so I doubt I would. I might grab one because I have a small shelf of cool Boss pedals that makes me smile when I look at them and which I pop on my home board now and then for fun.

JoeNeri likes this.
  15. Blues Twanger

I can't be outraged. I can only be disappointed it isn't quite the same as the usual Wazas with a larger productionn as that would've been a cool way to get a reliable Tone Bender.

Knowing more about the connection to Sola and the availability of parts I now understand that even though it's in the Waza line it's a whole different beast altogether

16. bluesholyman

Not outrage, but a bit surprised given that it is Boss, which are generally "affordable" pedals. Perhaps they did this whole venture to push the perceived price ceiling of what a Boss should be so that as newer stuff comes out, presumably Waza-fied, there would be less shock.

Maybe its just the right price, given the demand. I suspect everyone of them (and then some) are spoken for on a pre-order list somewhere...

Edit: I noticed that a new ToneBender MKii by The British Pedal Company is around $320. So I guess for that circuit, the price seems to be in the ball park....

Seems like a good time for this...if you don't care about the history, go straight to 11:00 for sonic bliss...

17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Ha! That's what I get for guesstimating on the price!

18. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

They’ll sell every one of them in a hot minute. I wouldn’t pay $350 for any Tone Bender, but I’ll bet you could make a tidy profit flipping the Boss, given the limited run. Hmm. :twisted:

19. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

With the risk of 3,000 of them all hitting the resale market at the same time!

D_Malone likes this.
  20. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Such a cool pedal. Does the octavia thing really well on Fuzz 1 with the gain set low.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.