1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss - Waza Tonebender

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JoeNeri, Dec 1, 2020.

1. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Yeah but...how much $$$?

2. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I had been waiting to see what the new pedal was going to be. What a disappointment.

3. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Yawn.

4. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Tough crowd, eh? I think this is a strong move for Boss, given that they really aren't known to have a great fuzz pedal yet. The problem is the market is so over saturated with fuzzes, the price has to be really competitive regardless of how it sounds to be successful. I expect it to sound great, but it'll probably cost an arm and a kneecap. :rolleyes:

Sound isn't enough to carry a pedal through the fuzz market anymore.

Fretting out likes this.
  5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I'm intrigued simply for two reasons:
    1. The original used germanium transistors that have long since been obsolete. Is Boss using something that is MIC or similar? Or do they expect us to believe that they've gotten the same performance with silicon? Also, germanium transistors tend to vary in gain and leakage, so they'll need to be sorted and measured, to make these pedals sound consistent (e.g. that's a manual effort for a mass-produced pedal). Also, the performance of germanium transistors varies with temperature. I foresee some provisos in the owner's manual if germanium transistors actually are used.
    2. You can't use buffered bypass and get the same characteristics as the original. TTBOMK, every Boss pedal to date has used buffered bypass. I'm assuming that they're using something like relay bypass (e.g. 'electronic true bypass') for this specific pedal.
    #1 doesn't intrigue me as much as #2 does, because I'm assuming that Boss will have to make some compromises with the transistors to get things 'close enough'. But #2 is potentially really cool, because there are a number of effects that would benefit by using true bypass, and it would be cool to get that right from the factory.

Edited to add - it looks like I should have read more carefully, because it says the following:

"Available in a limited production run, each TB-2W features rare germanium transistors carefully tested for optimum tone, a three-way voltage selector, selectable true/buffered bypass operation, and a refined circuit design for ultra-consistent performance from pedal to pedal."

So by 'rare', I'm assuming they have a stash of sorted OC75s or similar, and are using a charge pump to avoid positive ground issues (all of those old germanium transistors tend to be PNP).

True bypass selection also tells me that there must be relay bypass used.

WRT it being a limited production run, I wouldn't be surprised if it's VERY limited. Kudos to Boss, but I imagine that TB MkII freaks are really going to scrutinize this pedal.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  6. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

For me:
    1. It’s just another boring fuzz.

2. At least a hundred other companies have already copied this very pedal.

3. It’s just another boring fuzz.

I expect it will be around $200. Other Waza pedals are in the $150-200 range and from what I have read this will be a limited run. I like a lot of music that uses fuzz. This fuzz sound also, but for me, I just don’t have the need or want for it. I’ve tried lots of fuzz pedals over the years. Couldn’t validate keeping them for as little as I used them. I’m sure it’s someone else’s dream pedal though.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Shut up and take my money, NOW!!

Link says rare germanium transistors tested for tone. And that it will be selectable buffer/true bypass (which they’ve already implemented on the TU3w.

As and aside, I have a FZ3 which seems pretty dynamic to me. I assume it’s buffered?

Fretting out likes this.
  8. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I am stoked for this. 11G raises the points I was wondering about as well. This makes me super curious to see what Boss will do.

Yawn? Yeah, nah. This is going to be really cool.

Fretting out and MilwMark like this.
  9. 11 Gauge

Yep. I like the FZ-3, especially with some mods, but the buffer prevents it from having the same low Z input characteristics as a Fuzz Face or Tone Bender.

Anyway, you've had some folks who end up hacking up Boss pedals to put a mechanical true bypass switch in. I think Boss should make a line of 'Waza Bypass' pedals, so that this is available right from the factory.

MilwMark likes this.
  10. MilwMark

I don't know fuzz pedals very well. Is the FZ3 its own thing or does it draw from a "known" fuzz quantity, so to speak? Thanks

11. 11 Gauge

I guess you could consider it to loosely be a descendant of a silicon Fuzz Face, or at least some of the building blocks are there.

MilwMark likes this.
  12. MilwMark

That's what I would have guessed. It seems more dynamic than a big muff to me. And maybe to have more mids than a standard muff?

13. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It would be nice if they’d fill out the Waza Craft line with more of the modulation pedals. They’ve already gone Vibrato and Chorus, a TR-2 Trem and a flanger like a BF-2 or 3 and maybe Octave OC-2 would be nice.
    A Waza version of a Turbo Distortion could also be interesting.

14. 11 Gauge

Yeah, the tone circuit in both is kind of loosely similar in function, but it doesn't have the scooped mids that a Muff does.

The Big Muff has two clipping/distortion stages, and they're 'constrained' by virtue of the circuit design. Their gains are fixed, and are further limited by the clipping diodes, and most of the treble is filtered out. The sustain control basically just lets more of the first booster gain stage through. The treble you're hearing with a Muff is primarily what is 'recovered' at the tone circuit.

The FZ-3's fuzz control is the same thing as you have in a Fuzz Face or similar. It varies the gain via negative feedback, w/o any of the other constraints found in a Big Muff (for the most part).

15. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Hmmm, maybe adding one more pedal to the list...

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

An FZ-2 reissue would have been interesting to me

Edgar Allan Presley and Bella like this.
  17. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Hmmm....Yeah I’d be into this, price permitting.

18. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I’d lobe them to do a FT2 dynamic filter waza. But fir the fuzz fans, this should be awesome.

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Mmmm... unobtainium germanium transistors!

eddiewagner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.