1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss Tera Echo or Keeley Mag Echo

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Zecsson, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Zecsson

Zecsson TDPRI Member

I want to add an echo pedal to my pedalboard. I can't decide between Boss Tera Echo and Keeley Mag Echo. I'm leaning towards Keeley, but I wanted to hear your opinion. Any owner, any experience with mentioned pedals? Thanks

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  2. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Can only talk about the Tera Echo, it is more like a verb'ish delay with an unusual swirly twist to it, I use together with another delay pedal or pedals for big ambient sounds.
    Sometimes I use as a different kind of making space/reverb/delay pedal on a more subtle setting.
    It is a cool pedal to use, it can be used in more than one way.
    As said I especially like it in tandem with another delay!

Zecsson likes this.
  3. Zecsson

Zecsson TDPRI Member

I've seen some you tube demos of tera, it's very unusual. I like that tap-freeze option. I have Muza FD900, it's my first and only delay but i don't use it. I just don't like it. But maybe Keeley magnetic echo... It sounds very nice.

NWinther likes this.
  4. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

Haven't tried the Keeley, but the TE-2 is awesome. But as it's been stated on here, it's a pretty unique beast. With volume swells it just kills.

NWinther likes this.
  5. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Perhaps you might tell us what you're going to be using delay for and what drew you to these pedals in particular.

6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I have tried a Tera Echo, but it's really about ambient spacey sounds with an unusual tail to it. I did not find it to be THAT musical of a pedal, but more for textures.

7. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

JHS Panther Cub 2 is worth a look.

8. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

I like how it changes the sound depending on how you either swell the note or pick it.

Telewielder likes this.
  9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I find the Tera Echo a bit of a one trick wonder.. its a special effect really. I have the model of it in my Boss GT100. Rarely use it.

Are you after ambient strange noises?

A DD200 or something with more variety would be good if getting an all rounder.. some modulation is nice and you can get tape/analogue tones

10. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

I'm really into weird delays and reverbs and every time I see it for sale I think about buying it (Boss TE-2). I haven't so far 'cause to me too it seems a bit like a one trick pony. I haven't played one though. Now that I have a EQD Afterneath it I've realised that the reverb tail is a little similar. It's just more pronounced on the TE-2.

11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I’ve got the Keeley Magnetic echo, it’s really a great delay. Very analog sounding but with the decay length capability of digital. What I like the most about it is the chorus effect that you can apply to the repeats for that worn out tape vibe: it can go from very subtle to full on warble.

The Tera echo is not a delay IMO, but really some kind of ambient machine. In the same kind I much prefer the EQD Afterneath.

12. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

I used to have the same impression after watching all the video demos. I got it anyway and I'm glad I did because there's more to it than one might think.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.