Boss SY-1 replacing Boss MO-2 for organ sounds...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Aug 9, 2020.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I like the Boss MO-2 for some basic organ sounds. I am contemplating the SY-1 but want it to be able to do that throaty organ kind of sound. Haven't been able to tell from the videos, as they seem more focused on synth sounds than the organ patches.

Anyone have one and can offer some insight on how good of an organ type sound it can do?

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have an SY-1 and have just been using it for a little while, mostly on lap steel, if you can believe it. It sounds "organ-y" I suppose, on a few of the so-named settings, but nobody would really confuse a lap steel through this thing for an organ.

My problem with these guitar synths is that you know, you strum an A barre chord through it, it sounds like you are strumming an A barre chord through a synth. Demos where it really sounds convincing, it seems like the person playing has gone out of their way to try to play and voice things like a real keyboard player would.

However, the tracking is really good on this compared to the old Casio MIDI guitar I used to have. In fact it's almost too good... it picks up notes that are not that audible on their own, so I have to concentrate on muting strings I don't want to sound out.

3. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Is this not a better solution?

BorderRadio and scook like this.
  4. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Holic

Yeah, it's like watching all those Elecro Harmonic 9 series videos (organ, piano, melatron and synth. I just know I would butcher it.

Edit: Egad. There's one right above my post. I didn't plan that. Yeah, lol. Like that.

5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I would very much like to hear some lap steel/SY-1 action; got any clips?

6. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

7. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Wow! Now that is a lap steel tone you don’t hear every day. I hear the effect picking up the little artifacts and kind of...pitch shifting and magnifying them, maybe? Really eerie-cool.

I like the bright, crispy sound on all the instruments...a fun, interesting mix; thanks!

Digital Larry likes this.
  8. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

9. bluesholyman

Of all the directions I though a synth pedal thread could have gone, a discussion of lap steel through a synth pedal was not one of them :lol:

Digital Larry and RetroTeleRod like this.
  10. bluesholyman

Probably? I am not a huge EHX fan and I only need a few good organy sounds - I like the Boss MO-2 which does "overtones" and not specifically organ. The tracking on it is quite good and figured the SY-1 might be using some of the same mojo for its organ sounds.

richiek65 likes this.
  11. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

I've tried the Sy-1 of a friend a few days ago but just for 10 minutes, my impression is this, first with these kind of pedals if you can't do some presets it's going to be very hard in a live set to use more than one sound, unless it's ok for the guy who use it to bend down and start messing with the knobs to find another sound, and this is not an overdrive, with just a little movement you can change the sound drastically, that's why i love the Electro Harmonix Ring Thing, i could never use it without the possibility of saving presets.

Second, some sound to me needs a compressor after, just like many synth or pitch pedal that i've tried.

A part from that i've found this pedal really really cool, the organ sound was nice too but i think i prefer the Organ sound that i have inside the Boss Ms-3.

But in the end i've just played it 10 minutes so don't take my advice too seriously.

I'm sure what i said about the presets though....

Digital Larry and bluesholyman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.