Boss SD1W vs SD1 my first Impression. Review/Notes

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by The-Kid, Jan 18, 2020.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Okay so I havent really paid much attention to these but went in for some Gibson Reissue strings at the local GC.

I dont really have experience with either pedal so these are my first impressions....

Told my self Id get in and out but they were kind of busy and I eyes some stuff while there..

New Charvel Dk24 pink was on floor with roasted maple neck duncsn and bucker spliters.....saw a Waza SD1 and Sd1 regular.....

Fender Champ XD...not fancy but decent....

Plug and play.

First one I tried was the Boss Waza. Dialed into a JCM800 type tone. Pretty friggin hair and super tight with nice round bass. Okay okay Im digging it. Great highs never ice picky. Boost the highs. Super squels more hair yet still plenty of bass and warmth. Just crisp and butter.

Even drew a small crowd.....2 guys looking at me in the distance instantly picked up anothe Charvel Similar to this one. They had NAMM tags. Didnt even plug in but were curios. Other kid asked sales men for a distortion pedal after staring at me play for 5 minutes....

Okay okay it sounds good. Random dudes just standing right in front just staring for 10-15 min watching me shred it.....good signs.

Aside from that....I just kind of meditate and try to drown the store out and focus. Good sound. No guff. If you suck the pedal will show it but if its golden the pedal will show it. Pretty no frills straight up good sound. Godly tones are possible but they all come from the fingers no prenteding here.

Really brought out some tones that were just unreal.

Pluged into an SD1 regular the 50$ ones and while yeah one could get sort of similar tones the bass was just not there. The highs were too shrill and the OD was so bloated and unfocues in comparison to the fat, warm and tight tones coming out of the Waza Craft version......

The stock setting on the SD1W alone I would pay 150$ for over the stock 50$ SD1.

I just felt the Waza here just blew the SD1 regular one out of the water.

Anyone else have favourable thoughts of the Waza Craft SD1.

Never wanted one but damn....it was just so good. Cant deny it. More articulate, spank, punch and way less muffled.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Also the SD1W had way lower noise floor and hiss I feel at the same levels. Not as buzzy etc and just retained bass so damm well but still buzz sawing pretty clean and warm.

The Custom setting was also greag and added more gain, highs, bass somehow but still retaining clear and articulate note structure.

Just amazing pedal I feel and really underated. The Stock 50$ doesnt even compare to it on stock setting or modified. The SD1W is even better sounding im classic mode!

3. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Also tested the pedals independantly seperate as if they were in the same chain this affects the tone of either pedal feeding into each other and vice versa active or inactive.

So I tested one and then removed it snd pluged in another as to give a good tone report.

Try as I might I couldnt coax any of the same beutiful tones the SD1W had in either Stock or Custon settings. Even the Stock setting is better than the regular SD1 50$.

Had I tried an SD1 I would never buy it even at 50$. The SD1W is just so damn good Id say even 200$ is a fair price.

4. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I own the Waza Craft VB-2w and CE-2w. The buffer on this series a pedals is the best ever done by Boss. I have been on the lookout for a BD-2w, but will add SD-1w to my search. The VB-2w is extremely well done. It exceeds the original pedal which is one of Boss's better pedals in my estimation. Some complain about the CE-2w, but its CE-1 voicing is way closer to my original Boss CE-1 that they should have done the CE-2w as the CE-2 in the first place. My only complaint is I wish they did a FZ-2w Hyper Fuzz pedal reissue.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  5. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

I feel the CE2 mode on the Boss Waza is superb. Do love the Ce1 and Vibrato setting, these modes give a slight volume jump but it is an artifact found in the originals. Again really feel the CE2 sound is had in spades. Even tested it out against a Blue Hippo and JAM waterfallls....CE2W was the clear winner on all acounts.

Definatelt check out the SD1W for sure.....

And am waiting for the DS1W.....

Come on Boss!!!!

Weres our DS-1W!!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.