1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss SD-1 or OD-3 better for home playing?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dombar335, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

What do you like about the SD 1 that, say, an od808 (or ts9 or whatever) wouldn't cover?

Curious because my green box is coming off my board I think. But there is potentially an opportunity for something else "boosty"

2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I like an SD-1 boosting a Marshall. I like the OD-3 as a first stage drive, more open sounding. It can be a boost, too. I personally think the SD-1 is a one trick pony, but it's a hell of a trick for what it does.

For what you described, a low to medium gain main overdrive, I'd go OD-3.

Jazzerclean and Switchy like this.
  3. Axegrinder77

Hey! I have that od808. Absolutely love it and will never part with it, but it's coming off my board.

I see you run the SD1 as well. Could you tell me what the difference is to you?

Thanks !

The-Kid likes this.
  4. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Mainly the SD1 is more open. It has more hair etc etc.

This is Waza or Stock. I have a Waza but as said given my shootout with the stock one I gave my friend recently as a gift very similar so a good comparison overall.

So TS in general is more compressed and can be more "heavy".

Like SD1 is good for that 80s open hair and air and modern metal. TS is as well but more for the blues thing and modern metal.

So both can do modern metal but in the 80s type realm ones more SRV and the other is more EVH.

Like honestly you can say and you will hear so many damn guys online say "its the same pedal TS and SD1 ones symmetrical#TS9 and the other is assymetrical#SD1

But its more than that....

Plainly you can go into allot of babble talk and psuedo forum "facts" but plainly both can get as heavy but this is my bit on this matter.

TS can do modern metal but its main bit is SRV mojo hard rock/blues.

SD1 can do modern metal to but its main bit is the 80s hair type stuff and EVH mojo for sure.

So pretty much

Both can do modern metal but for the more classic tone ala 80s......

SD1= more EVH hair metal

TS=More SRV hard rock/blues

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  5. Axegrinder77

Thanks for the response.

That sounds appealing. The od808 is kinda Srv. And that's great, but evh is what I probably need in an od right now!

Cheers

6. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Bro trust.

Keep both on board and stack for best results.

Very useful and be open to experiment and of course.....get dirty a litte lol.....but have fun hahaha

Cheers

7. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

@Axegrinder77

Your also going to find that that the TS surprisingly retains lows a bit better. SD1 are a bit more flubby in comparison but has still sounds good and admittedly a pedal I use more but still manage to dial in for tight sounds.

TS had more relaxed highs. SD1 are extended.

TS more compressed. SD1 more open and more "air".

So there is give and take with both.

Again. Stack for best results.

8. Axegrinder77

I already have a wampler euphoria, turbo rat, eqd hoof, comp/boost and mxr micro amp, and aforementioned od808 on the board, and that's just the gain.

I like some stacking, but no way I can have both those going right now.

The-Kid likes this.
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Right on. Noice.

Guy knows what he wants.
    Sd1 for sure my man

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  10. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I have used the SD-1 and the OD-3..

OD-3 won and has been on my board for the past year.. I used it as a clean boost (zero gain, volume only, tone to match) at the end of my OD pedals..

[​IMG]Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

[​IMG]Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

I play through a Peavey Classic 30..

For what I use it for, its great.. didnt have to spend for boutique pedal.. and was happy just to spend less than 50 and get a super nice, flexible od pedal, with the toughness and build of a Boss pedal..

I have since gone and revised my board and made it a second "Heavy" OD for grit and grind along side my Tim OD pedal, which acts like a light OD and light crunch when the gain channel is engaged..

The OD-3 seem to be one of the very underrated OD pedals in the market and Im glad Boss still makes it.. Not planning any mods for it.. I love it as it is!

like everyone said, the OD-3 sounds fuller, has a bit more lower end and smooth highs.. and when stacked with my Tim, it gives a very nice gain tones that I love for solos and rhythm work..

11. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Fully agree, wait for the backlash haha its coming :)

12. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Well this thread wasn't helpful in helping me decide. :). A lot of information on both to process here. Thanks everyone. Still not sure which way I'm leaning but I'm thinking I'll try the SD-1 because of price and if I'm not satisfied try an OD-3 down the road.

13. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

trust me, its one of those things that you either like or not. For the price, they’re worth the buy, and if it turns out you dont like them, keep for another day.

i kept my SD-1, and actually waiting for a good price on a BD-2 just for the heck of it. I like to see peoples faces when they see a lot of Boss effects on my board rather than boutique stuff. Especially if I sound good with just these stuff.

i find most Boss pedals sound good. I just have to spend time tweaking and try to find settings that works for me.

14. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

I find the SD1 to be too much. I like the OD3, have it on my board. It's great for mild overdrive and rhythm kind of stuff. You'll need something in addition for solos or anything moderately heavy like Radiohead.

15. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

I got my Rat and BB2 to cover all of that. Just looking for something to cover the lighter OD duty (My Iron Lung, I Might Be Wrong, Optimistic type songs).

I should have mentioned that, in case this changes any opinions, that I usually use my light OD as an always on drive and the stack the other pedals when I need more gain.

16. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Every TS I’ve tried has had the exact opposite effect of this statement and is precisely why I don’t like them.

jh

17. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

It’s really just preference. They will both boost a Marshall type amp well enough. The difference for me is that I also like the sound of the SD1 alone into the clean channel where as I can’t stand the sound of a TS9 on its own.

jh

18. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Yes but in comparison to a SD1 I feel it holds, the TS holds better bass notes, tighter, more punch etc etc.

19. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

SD-1 sounds great... there's something about the OD-3 I've never liked, I've had two of them and they sound a bit odd to me when you turn the gain up, there's something in there that I really don't enjoy with my amps/guitars.

The-Kid likes this.
  20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have a brand new SMD DS-1 and it sounds fantastic too.

There's absolutely no reason an SMD pedal can't sound better than a more handmade one. There's a good reason that circuits that are actually complicated are all SMD today.

Jazzerclean and The-Kid like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.