1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss SD-1 C6 mod - not hearing much difference?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by corliss1, Nov 4, 2020.

1. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Title pretty much says it all. Setup a switch to go between C6 and no C6 and I'm not hearing very much of a difference at all. Lots of threads said this was night and day and champagne would fall from the heavens after removing this. Anyone else?

2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Not familiar with that. Whenever I compare modded versions of classic Boss pedals to the stock versions I prefer the stock.

That's the sound, IMO. That's why I bought it instead of something else. I like a stock SD-1 or BD-2, etc. just fine.

scottser and corliss1 like this.
  3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

C6 is in the tone feedback loop? The tone control uses 2nd side of the op-amp. Would that mean that the gain of the the tone control changes with frequency? According to the interwebz C6 rolls off a little bit of highs. Did you try comparing it at different tone settings? Just guessing, as I really haven’t a clue.

EDIT: It’s an active tone control. It should boost treble as you turn the tone up, and not just cut bass, or whatever. I guess taking out C6 should help that? Tubescreamer doesn’t have a cap there. I’m inclined to think the cap doesn’t really change it much to begin with.

EDIT EDIT: Can the SD-1 be a good treble booster? I’m intrigued.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    corliss1 and leonard d rock like this.
  4. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

c6 is a leftover from the od-1 which didn't have a tone control ... it rolls off high end and it is pure personal preference

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I clipped the C6 in mine. If it makes a difference, I couldn't hear it.

corliss1 likes this.
  6. corliss1

Thanks all for confirming I'm not crazy (on this very specific issue, at least)

7. allesz

allesz Tele-Holic

I did the mod and I hear a difference: more higs. Personally I like It.

It's not night and day, thank God, the sd1 sounds really good stock. I think It can give the right touch to the sound... or the wrong one.

Great pedal. Btw, do you know if some chinese brand puts out a true bypass (and cheap :)) clone? This would be a mod!

leonard d rock likes this.
  8. corliss1

@allesz - I don't know what the prices of Boss are over in Italy, but here in the US it's one of the cheapest pedals on the used market already because they are SO MANY. Very easy to get one in the $40 range.

9. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

10. Telewielder

Telewielder TDPRI Member

I clipped C6 on mine and I can hear a subtle improvement. It's definitely not night and day, but it does tame the honky midrange tone the pedal has got, which is nice. I clipped C6 off my OS-2 as well and got a similar result.

corliss1 likes this.
  11. allesz

allesz Tele-Holic

I know an original costs nothing. But since I can hear the effect of c6's mod, I also hear the effect of three boss pedals in chain.
    So a TB clone would be really appreciated. Damn, they clone every boutique pedal on the market, and of course rats, TS, ds, bms... But It seems not the mighty humble sd1.

12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

SD-1 is basically a Tubescreamer clone with assymetrical clipping. Just solder one extra diode to a cheap chinese TS808 clone, and you're golden. :D

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FEGXDK/?tag=tdpri-20

13. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I did mine and could hear a difference, it was subtle no doubt but I could hear it.

corliss1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.