Boss Pocket GT

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Alamo, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

The body is a reshaped from a strat and I did take inspiration from all sorts of places.

Mike M likes this.
  2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

I'm with you man.....;););)

3. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

YouTube's terms of use are pretty clear that you can't download the content, but they don't do a whole lot to stop it from happening (nor can they, really). Roland's lawyers would nix that pretty quickly.

The image you posted has a clue, though: "Depending on the video, importing might not be possible due to restrictions on embedding." What they've probably done is make a browser component* part of ToneStudio. The Pocket GT's lot in life becomes being an audio interface and a source of input for the transport controls, which ToneStudio passes on to the browser. That would be completely within YouTube's terms.

*Embedding browsers is pretty common these days. If you've ever used Slack, the desktop clients look exactly like they do in a browser because the desktop client is just a single browser component.

Alamo and warrent like this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Because more is better! If they can fit it in there, then why not?

icantplaywellyet and Alamo like this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If you've never tried the Line 6 Pocket POD, give it a go. It's a great little device.

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Because there’s little differentiation? Because people will spend more time looking for some imaginary tone instead of playing?
    This is basically a practice, jamming tool. Those have existed for over 20 years in one form or another.
    I admit my bias. I got sucked into the “modeling” mythology and came away a cynic after my initial infatuation.
    I would have preferred if Boss had built a desktop Katana pedal with a speaker emulated headphone out and aux in. Simple, straightforward, without the endless number of models and effects.
    If you added a decent line out it could be a direct in to an interface.

7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I agree. I have used many modelling amps, software amp sims and modelling multi FX units. At most, I regularly use maybe 2 amp models on any given unit. I find a clean and driven amp model I like (not necessarily based on a specific real amp - just what sounds best to me in a particular modeller) and then set up patches for my guitars and liking.

8. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

The headphone jack doubles as a line out, but why do a trip through analog and back when the digital signal can be passed directly to a computer by way of the USB port?

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

"Because there’s little differentiation?" - You know how guitar players are; they can "hear" the difference between types of tonewood....
    "Because people will spend more time looking for some imaginary tone instead of playing?" - If people do that, it's their problem.
    Seriously - if technology allows for 100 amp models to be put into a package that small, and they only put 10 in there because of the reasons you suggested, does that make any sense?

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I've always thought this is a myth. I doubt anyone really hears the difference in tone woods, saddles, etc. I would say that's even more true from most modeling.

I've already stated my bias but I go back to my "little differentiation" assertion. It's a $250 piece of gear and I doubt it has the level of sophistication of higher end modeling gear. I like Yamaha's approach: Clean, Crunch, Lead, High Gain with a couple of variants for each.

If this meets someone's needs then fine, more power to them, but it doesn't fit any need for me.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  11. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

This is part of what intrigues me. I see this being a great interface between my Tele and Tascam.

Here is the 19 page parameter list: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/Pocket-GT_param_eng01_W.pdf

It looks like 24 amps to choose from with some preamp parameters to twiddle with. I briefly owned a GT-100 and see a lot of similarities despite a huge difference in physical sizes.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  12. Fuerte

Fuerte TDPRI Member

Does it have stereo effects, like GT-1? I hate mono guitar on headphones.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  13. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Yes, effects such as the stereo chorus outputs in stereo.

14. Fuerte

Fuerte TDPRI Member

Great. Then my only worry is that does most of YouTube videos embed? What about ads in YouTube? How does YouTube get profit if video is embedded?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Just FYI for anyone who has not tried a multi amp/effect device like this before. Just because it gives the option of 100 amps/effects, that doesn't prevent you from just using the 3 or 4 that YOU like.

Archtop Bill and Mike M like this.
  16. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

It doesn’t have the YouTube angle, but Zoom’s G1 Four is a good travel rig. Boss’s Katana Mini has aux in, headphone out.

17. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Ordered this this evening. Should be a good unit to get in some intense practicing this winter.

Alamo likes this.
  18. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Nice! :cool:
    hope you'll keep us updated once you've spent some time with it.:)

Archtop Bill likes this.
  19. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

I have been playing through my Pocket GT for a week. It is very good for what it is. But first, what it is not: It is not part of a gigging rig. It is not in the same league as an mfx peddle such as a POD Go, Helix Stomp or even the GT-1. It is a practice tool. For sitting on the couch or not disturbing household members with late night practicing this is is just the thing.

Not all of the tones are good, but some are very very good. Pairing with your smartphone makes editing and saving patches a breeze. There are lots of preamps to chose from and the usual speaker configurations. To my disappointment there is no Champ or Princeton model.

The Pocket GT is a surprisingly good recording interface. I run the PGT into my Tascam and and enjoy stereo recording without picking up ambient room noise.

If you pair it with your smartphone/tablet, you actually pair it twice. First, pair it as an audio device, then as a midi device. Once paired you can stream any audio. I have some Truefire lessons and it streams like a charm. While streaming YouTube you cannot only set sections to loop, but you can program patch changes.

As expected, it has a built in tuner, but it does not have a record/lopper function. Even 20 seconds would be great. It does not have a metronome or built in drums. The documentation is very weak. Use Youtube to figure the thing out.

Still, I really like it. It is so compact and, once you understand it, easy to use. It is the best practice aid I have found in years.

StevesBoogie and Alamo like this.
  20. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Here's an example of using the Pocket GT as a recording interface. Tele > Pocket GT > Tascam DP.

jays0n, FrogManBearPig, Alamo and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.