BOSS OD-3 vs SD-1 Video Comparison

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Freethenoise, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

I've seen loads of OD-3 vs BD-2 and SD-1 vs TS9 videos, but not a video of the two yellow drives from BOSS that happens to be in English.
    So I made one.

I really do like the OD-3 for a prominent, cutting rhythm drive sound. Definitely one of my favorites.

2. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Why would you compare them? They are soooo different from each other. A BD-2 vs OD-3 and a SD-1 vs TS-9 makes sense because they are similar. Oh Well.:confused:

3. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Because they're both lower priced overdrives made by a mass producing company with the exact same controls and layouts.
    To a new player or someone who is only just getting into pedals and gear (without the same knowledge as some people on this forum) the only difference in their name being 'super' might be a little confusing.

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Love my Od-3! Thanks for the vid!

5. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Good point, never considered that possibility. I must of come off like a douche, unintentionally;)

6. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

All good friend, no harm done!

7. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

I miss my 'ol OD-3! I used it before with a Bad Monkey before it... it rocks!! SD-1 for me is just thin... I like the layout and ease of use though, it's just redundant with my Fulltone FDII

8. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

What about the ds-1?

9. Abe

Abe Tele-Meister

Love both of them. The SD-1 is kind of my "go-to" for an unfamiliar amp, but the OD-3 is probably more of my favorite - even though I don't have one at present.

I have also found that I like the two of them stacked as well. Great with a Tele or P-90's.

10. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

The reason the SD-1 sounds thin to you has to do with volume. My Les Paul classic with a Marshall, using the SD-1 is thick with all the meat you want. The St-2 and the Bad Monkey have the bass control to compensate for low volume. When I play my Bad Monkey at stage volume, I have to turn the bass back, because it gives alot of it. The OD-3 seems to be a better blend at low and higher volumes.

11. sirloin

sirloin TDPRI Member

Nice demo, thanks for doing this! Are your pedals new? Is there a reason to try to track down older versions of the SD-1 and OD-3 or do the new production ones sound the same?

12. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! My internet has been choppy as anything lately.

Yep, they're both 2013 models.

Thanks for your kind words everyone!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.