Boss OD-200 pre-ordered

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by D_Malone, Sep 12, 2019.

1. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I have never “pre-ordered” anything. I’ve got high hopes for this thing. The OD-1X is one of my favorite overdrives and the OD-200 has the OD-1X and 3 band eq. That, along with a pre/post boost, was enough to pique my interest.

Don’t let me down, Boss!

2. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

it looks like it does a lot of work.....i hope you enjoy

D_Malone likes this.
  3. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Just got shipping notification, finally! Our next rehearsal is this Friday. Can’t wait!

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A lot of sounds!

D_Malone likes this.
  5. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

That’s one of the better demos out there.

I’m really happy with it so far. The overdrive, Centaur, and x-drive settings are standouts for me. The OD-1x is one of my favorite overdrives and the x-drive on the OD-200 is even better. That alone has me very excited to try it at rehearsal this weekend.

I’ll post my impressions after I’ve put it to the test.

Lef T likes this.
  6. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

7. michaelclements

michaelclements TDPRI Member

pic of my Pedal Board
    [​IMG]
    I've been playing for 35 years. Bought, sold, traded, gave away so much gear I could write a really boring book. I've had every iconic OD Pedal accept a Centaur. The Boss OD-200 is the most blow away, versatile, incredible OD pedal I've ever owned. I pain painstakingly constructed this Pedal Board over a 2 year period. With all due respect, I believe there is something in your sound setup that is causing this. I'd be happy to try and help. This pedal is, along with a Ramble FX Kismet, the only 2 OD Pedals coming out of my Boss ES-5 Midi Controller. It's ability to assign a second drive type and to select parallel is simply stunning. Perhaps this tutorial will help.

8. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I appreciate that, but the OD-200 is long gone. And it wasn’t just one setup. I have several amps and cabs (e.g. AC30, Marshall JMP, Princeton Reverb, Clark Kanee Reverb, Quilter Mach 2, to name a few). I just didn’t like what I was hearing from the OD-200. Could very well have been user error, I’ll admit that. Regardless, if I can’t plug a pedal in, twist a few knobs, and get a great sound I’m moving on.
    I’m glad it’s working for you. It’s a really well designed pedal, in my opinion. I really wanted to like it.

michaelclements likes this.
  9. michaelclements

michaelclements TDPRI Member

I hear ya. I will say, it's not a pull it out of the box, plug it in & roll kind of pedal. Additionally, it's really meant to shine brightest in a Midi setup where its 5 presets can be recalled (you can actually save the "manual" settings into a preset, giving you 5 total). I dont like every mode. However, the Klon, Tube Screamer & the more gainy stuff after the Klon all the way over to the Stack mode are incredible. Where it gets blow away is when you use the boost. It's really mislabeled. What it really is is a second mode that you can run in parallel. It comes off as a sort of stereo sound. Its unbelievable. I have one patch that is a Klon, with an expression pedal that fades in gain, then when the boost is engaged....it brings in a heavenly crunch set up in parallel.....meaning the Klon and Crunch are beside each other Complimentary independent coming together to make a magical sound. The standard way most pedalboard setups handle pedals.....is one goes into another. Their collective sounds are the result of them blending. Not with the OD-200. You have 5 presets that are really 10 because of the stomp. But I set them all to be parallel when the stomp is engaged bringing in the second sound. My sound guy whose been doing it for 20 years cant believe what he's hearing. If this pedal was made by a boutique company, had a funky name and a fancy paint job, it would be a sensation. It's getting pretty big anyway. Boss killed it with the 200 series. They are on a roll.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.