Boss OD-200 is very disappointing

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by D_Malone, Nov 8, 2019.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

:eek:I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with what appeared to be a cool pedal.:(

D_Malone likes this.
  2. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Thanks. I feel kinda bad for whining about it, but I truly expected to like it. I am a fan of a lot of Boss products.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  3. ping-ping-clicka

Excuse me, itreally didn't sound like whining. It read like an honest product review,I just hope that you can return it.

D_Malone likes this.
  4. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Yes, purchased from Sweetwater. Been very happy with their service.

5. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I'm not a analog snob per se. I still use the Boss GT-3 and GT-5 which have early digital amp emulations (alongside analog OD/distortion) and of course I use delays, reverbs and other mod effects in various ways which are digital. I also record everything digitally. But I run a mile from digital distortion units. I just don't entertain the idea of them. I think that sort of effect is still better sounding and feels better to play in an analog circuit.

D_Malone and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

When in the position of being unable to get what I want to purchase from my local small business (Broken Guitars , Oakland Ca.) I shop @ Sweetwater Music and have done so for years. Their service is Platinum *

7. ping-ping-clicka

I am fortunate enough not to be plagued by hearing the difference, as everything that happens in my Studio Apartment stays at home so the sound quality
    (analog :D vs digital :mad:) is a moot point.
    I have succumbed to the old TEAC four track Garage Standard from the hay day of DYI Experimental Rock and Difficult Listening.

I bought a RAT when they first were available (yes I am that old), It had none of the frizz and sour sizzle of later units from other manufactures.

8. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I never rule anything out totally -- I just wouldn't flock to buy a digital overdrive unit. I'd rather buy S/H individual OD pedals and have a collection of them for recording. But, yeah if you're just playing and recording at home it's not that big a deal. In the mix who would know right? For me with dirt in the digital world it generally suffers from too much detail in the upper range harmonics -- it could of course be rolled off in a DAW. It's also not like I haven't used digital dirt on some tracks (like from a Zoom multi FX) but it's not my preference in most cases. I love the old 4 tracks and still have one nearby. I also have an old crappy reel to reel that I use for effects and as a preamp sometimes. I do like the Rat circuit -- it can get pretty Marshally in front of Twin. There is some fuzz to be had with it too.

I'm sure all the top of range modellers sound pretty good and have good feel as some big name guitar players are touring with them. But those cost as much as a car.

9. ping-ping-clicka

...;) If one can afford that level of gearo_O ones accountant will right it off as a business expense.:twisted:

10. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Your experience reminds me of the DN-2 Dyna Drive. I couldn't give that one away fast enough.

D_Malone likes this.
  11. ping-ping-clicka

try this on for size, you might be pleasantly surprise;)

https://neuraldsp.com/products/fortin-nameless-suite/

12. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

A ways back, I had the OD-20 twin pedal around the time they came out. I don't remember the quality of the sounds but I do remember it was a bit of a hassle. You could set up four saved settings. They'd be good at home or at practice. But then for every room I played in, I had to update them based on how loud my amp was for that space, the shape of the room, indoors vs. outdoors, how hard the drummer was hitting that night, second set was louder than the first, etc. I was using a Super Reverb, so relatively clean amp. In the end I found it so much easier to use regular drive pedals where you can tweak a knob or two as needed on the fly and leave it for the rest of the night vs. having to check, tweak and save four different settings. It's very possible that the OD-200 handles these things better than the OD-20, although the control layout is that much different.

I think for most people, two or three drive pedals will get you 90% of the sounds needed for a night of music and be much easier to set up & tweak on the fly. I'm sure there are some people who need OD/Distortion tones from Rolling Stones to Megadeath to St. Vincent and everything in between where the OD-200 would fill a need. And having all those options at your feet can be fun for experimenting. But most bands stay in a smaller range of tones where a couple dedicated drive pedals will get the job done and be easier to perform with.

(all of the above is, obviously I hope, just my opinion)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.