Boss OD-200 is very disappointing

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by D_Malone, Nov 8, 2019 at 12:38 PM.

1. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I enjoy a lot of Boss’ products. I am by no means a Boss basher, and I try not to say negative things about any pedal that doesn’t work for me because we all have different ears, taste, needs, etc., but I am shocked by how bad the OD-200 sounds.

Every sound in it is harsh and fizzy. Even the sounds that are supposed to be inspired by other Boss pedals (Blues Driver, OD-3, OD-1x, DS-1, etc.) are inferior to the originals.

I had the pedal at home for a couple of days, and managed to dial in a couple of usable sounds, but when I tried it at rehearsal last night I knew it had to be returned. I usually give a pedal more time, but there was no way I could live with this thing.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that the deeper functions are really difficult to tweak because of the almost useless display and hieroglyphics that you must decipher with the terrible manual in hand.

I really had high hopes for the OD-200. It looked so good on paper. I highly recommend you try before buying, or be sure to buy from a store that offers refunds.

Sorry Boss. I love ya, but this thing is sub-par. What a shame.

Shuster, ping-ping-clicka and Lef T like this.
  2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Bad news, i like the drives in my Ms-3 a lot, especially the natural drive and the worm od, i tought the od-200 had the same algorithm......

D_Malone likes this.
  3. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I’m not going to go into detail about the issues with every setting, but, for example, the “overdrive” setting: sounds like an OD-3, but with a horrible boxy midrange and harsh/fizzy high end. Turning down the treble control just yields a darker fizz, and turning down the mid control doesn’t fix the boxy tone, just makes it sound like a different kind of boxy, I’m not even sure how that’s possible.

Every setting is like that. You think you have the tools to dial it in, but you’re just shifting the eq of the garbage tone.

4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I feel like I'm starting to learn this lesson but thanks for the warning.

Some of these things are just pointless with digital. Way complicated, and it is a ridiculous amount more work for the manufacturer to build this kind of thing digitally vs old fashioned analog. I don't get it.. in the case of someone like Strymon I think they are true believers that digital is better for everything. (Seems like their digital overdrive gets panned too though right?) But in other cases I'm thinking the companies are doing research and finding there are certain players that really want everything to be digital.

The controls always end up overcomplicated on something like this too. That OD-200 might have some great sounds but it's so complicated it'd take a lot longer to find them.

Some things are way better digital (smartphones & computers!), other things are better left analog IMO.

D_Malone likes this.
  5. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Very strange, i think with the ms 3 drives they did a really good job, the natural od is very transparents, it sounds like my amp with more gain, the worm od is different, based on Timmy overdrive i've read and is really nice too....i'm curious to know if they used different algorithm, if so, i don't know why really.....

6. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

@beninma Well that was the other disappointing aspect. Boss stuff is usually simple and intuitive, and it’s not that the OD-200’s deeper functions are difficult to understand, it really just came down to the very limited 3 character display that was apparently lifted from an ‘80s era calculator.

I’m looking forward to a time when digital gear is as good as or better than analog. In some ways it already is.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not surprised . Listening to the demo clip, I thought some of the stacked sounds were pretty cool, but in general it sounded fizzy and harsh to me.

8. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

i always thought that many knobs dont work well

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I am neither a Stevie Ray Vaughanabee, nor do I think this pedal helps cop his tones...but it sure does hit it out of the park!

DSCN0029.JPG

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Strange. I can get great OD tones out of an ME80. The sound good at home and great live.

Shuster likes this.
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What thread did you mean to post this in?

12. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

They’re either not the same or I am being nit-picky.

I’ve used Boss dirt pedals for decades (yep, I’m old), and the OD-200 sounds much worse than the pedals it’s supposed to emulate.

13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well I think Boss really gets it with some of their digital stuff actually but some of this stuff is just catering to the "I need everything mentality."

There's a lot of products targeted at someone who thinks they need 100 different effects to play well. This product must seem great if you have that mentality, cause you only buy one thing and you got a giant pile over drives.

Maybe this is a basement player thing.. I'm mostly a basement player myself but I'd like to think the stuff I have could actually be used playing live. Most of these 1000 function pedals I've quickly come to realize I can't possibly actually use well as soon as there are other players in the room cause no one would want to stop and let me fiddle with the pedal. Simple classic effects just don't have that issue. If you know how to use a Tube Screamer, Fuzz Face, Big Muff, etc.. you are never going to get screwed up while playing live and have to mess around with it.

Are there any digital boost pedals? That would be rather amusing.

FenderLover likes this.
  14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In the one where the guy is disappointed with his new pedal and might want a different one.

D_Malone likes this.
  15. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I’ve got plenty of dirt pedals, thanks. I was hoping the Boss would work for me because I like the idea of multiple ODs, memory slots, and boosts in one box.

16. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Treadplatedual likes this.
  17. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Usually a effect pedal that does multiple effects will suck as some or all the effects used.
    Back in the day when I used a lot of pedals, I stayed with "one trick pony pedals" for that very reason.
    I do have a Boss Katana 50 now and so far I have no complaints about the onboard effects. It would be nice to be able to switch speaker types though.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Is this into a Fender amp? Often newer digital effects have more EQ controls - I recently discovered by forum research cutting treble and boosting mids into Fenders can help to cut the fizzy thinness even if it means you're going against conventional ingrained wisdom about 'what works' for certain pedals.

The overdrive and distortion models in my FX have just come to life - I've owned the M13 for six years!

Shuster likes this.
  19. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I’d argue that digital delay is as good as analog delay. They are different. But both are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D_Malone likes this.
  20. Roman4405

Roman4405 TDPRI Member

Delay is different though. I haven’t found too many digital overdrives/distortions that I personally like. The Boss Katana sounds pretty good and the Kemper with the gain turned up on the Marshall amps sounds great. Granted I haven’t tried every digital dirty pedal, but the ones I have turned me off for the rest of them.

dlew919 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.