1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Boss OD-1x is surprisingly good!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by D_Malone, Feb 21, 2019.

1. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Not much overlap between those two pedals to my ears. Again, the OD-1x really shines when pushing a cranked amp. That's were the clarity and note separation will put a smile on your face.

That MDP Deep Dive is fascinating. I went down the modeling/digital rabbit hole years ago and learned that I don't care for digital distortion, but this technology seems to work for me.

2. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Always cracks me up when people say this as a critique of a pedal -- umm yeah I want it to color my sound that's the point!

I like Boss pedals too, they're great straight-forward no-BS pedals. Back in the late 80s/early 90s I rocked a BF-2, DD-3, CH-1, OD-3, and DS-1 and thought I sounded like a boss!

JustABluesGuy and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  3. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

sorry attention span deficit me and mike coan just aren't having such a good decade

D_Malone likes this.
  4. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Just got a second OD-1x. Going use one for low gain, the other for high.
    A few dirt pedals have come and gone since I started using my first OD-1x. Some of them sounded better at home, but the OD-1x outshines them all with the band.
    I can’t believe how much I’m enjoying a digital Boss pedal. Who’d a thunk?

5. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Any good mods for those? Are they made in Japan? Do they have true bypass? Are the diodes germanium? Is it assymetrical? Can I use it as a clean boost? Anyone making klones of it? Yes?

Lies&Distortion and D_Malone like this.
  6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

It’s digital not analog. The theory is by going digital they can fix common tradeoffs you get with analog pedals so you can have your cake and eat it, too. Lots of dirt without losing clarity, for example. Ten or five years ago my reaction would be no way no thanks, but dsp is getting good enough that maybe they have cracked the code and so I’d certainly be willing to try it out. OTOH I’ve figured out how to get good sounds out of the analog pedals I have so I don’t feel a big urge to replace them.

D_Malone likes this.
  7. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Something tells me you’ve spent some time on guitar gear forums. :)

NWinther likes this.
  8. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

;) Had a few more things that I wanted to write...but then again...it was abit overkill already...hehe

D_Malone likes this.
  9. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Hahahahahaha!!! Hilarious!!!

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

While I like Boss pedals (I own a DD-2 delay, a CE-2 and a DC-2) I've never bonded with their OD pedals. I'm anything but a gear snob, but what Boss pedal would give me a smooth creamy tone with lots of sustain through a clean amp?

For the record, I once owned a Metal Zone which actually had it's good qualities though I don't play anything like metal. I had it modded and still didn't like it and traded it for a Barber Direct Drive that I use to this day.

11. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Boss doesn’t really offer “smooth creamy” in my experience, but maybe the SD-1 would work for you.
    The OD-1x in front of an amp on the edge of breaking up will sing, but I wouldn’t describe it as smooth or creamy.

NWinther likes this.
  12. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

If you're interested in Boss, you may want to look at the ST-2 Power Stack. It's a very nice distortion pedal...very Marshally...an under the radar pedal for sure.

chris m. likes this.
  13. Telewielder

Telewielder TDPRI Member

Has anyone ever a/b'ed it against the DA-2? Overlap much?

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Paul in Colorado-- I would say OD-3 if you don't want a mid-hump but something more like a Fulltone OCD. I would say SD1 if you want a mid-hump. Both sound smooth to me. I have used them both into tube amps with excellent results. My OD3 has currently been bumped for an MI Audio Crunch Box, which sounds a bit more like a Marshall to my ears, but it was a very close call.

15. fredwrites

fredwrites TDPRI Member

I actually run both — OD 1X (mild overdrive setting) into DS 1X (also set to fairly minimal distortion) for a combination that gives me extra smoke/sustain. I’m so happy with the X series, I just ordered the new compressor!

16. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

I tested the pedal. But I must say that I prefer the OD-3 analog overdrive.

17. Telewielder

Telewielder TDPRI Member

I've got both. My OD-3 has got a Monte Allums mod and sounds gorgeous. The OD-1X is its own thing. I honestly like both equally.

Tornado likes this.
  18. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Boss pedals seem to be designed for stage volume not bedroom levels. They really work with your amp but your amp has to be working itself. I never liked my Power Stack until I had the amp at rehearsal volume and that’s where it truly shines.

chris m. and Telewielder like this.
  19. Telewielder

Telewielder TDPRI Member

Update: I got the DA-2. It arrived this morning. It's a totally different beast, but equally awesome. Lots of gain, and incredible responsiveness and clarity. It's great to finally be able to play complex chords and actually hear every note! Soloing is fun for days, too. Thoroughly impressed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.