Boss OD-1x is surprisingly good!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by D_Malone, Feb 21, 2019.

1. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I've been playing guitar for 35+ years. I've been through a ridiculous number of OD pedals, especially in the last 5 years, and I've never come across anything quite like the OD-1x.

I've had Boss dirt pedals in the past. Some I liked, some I didn't. I kinda wrote them off as an option years ago, but this one piqued my interest, so I picked one up, and I'm really surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.

I wouldn't recommend it with a super clean amp, although it's usable, but kinda bright/buzzy. Pushing an amp on the edge of break-up that brightness/buzziness translates to kerrang and sizzle, which I love. If you like smooth and creamy this pedal isn't for you, although it does sing with the drive set high.

What is most impressive, to me, is the clarity, even with the drive cranked up. I've never experienced anything like it.

I've compared it side by side with the OD-3 and they are completely different, so don't expect an updated version.

I've had dirt pedals from just about every boutique builder out there and the OD-1x is one of my favorites. It's not going to be for everyone, but I highly recommend at least trying it if you have the opportunity. You might be surprised.

2. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

I've not tried it but the od1 has been my go to for 25 years

Chunkocaster and 4pickupguy like this.
  3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Boss’s dirt offerings are often underated or even ignored, but I have several that I like quite a lot. Stack a couple of them, and you have a DIY boutique pedal for half the cost or less.

I get great results with mine, and have saved a lot by avoiding boutique pedals. I don’t have to worry about my pedals because they are easily replaceable.

If I were to get “my sound” from a boutique pedal and it goes down, I will have get back on the waiting list for a new one. If one of my Boss pedals goes down and I can stop at GC, or get next day delivery from Sweetwater and I am right back up and running!

D_Malone likes this.
  4. p8t8r

p8t8r Tele-Meister

DS-1X is good too!

D_Malone likes this.
  5. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Have you compared it to the OD-1x? I'm hitting the OD-1x with a clean boost for solos and it really sings, so I'm pretty sure I don't need the DS-1x, but I am curious about it.

6. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You Sir, then must try the end all be all OD pedal,,, of course YMMV;)
    The Origin Effect Revival Drive is this Awesome Pedal,

chemobrain likes this.
  7. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Sounds really fizzy in that demo. At $650 it had better be the end all be all! I'm sure it's great, and I must admit I'm interested in trying it, but if you gotta spend that much on an overdrive then maybe you've got the wrong amp.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  8. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

This pedal really shines with a cranked amp. Absolutely loved it at rehearsal last night. The clarity is unreal. Chords roar and single notes sing. Clean-up with the guitar volume control is really good too. What a killer OD.

JustABluesGuy and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I like Boss pedals. A friend of mine purchased a bunch of Boss pedals to build a pedal board, and told me he returned them all because they "colored his sound", and he replaced them with high-dollar "boutique" pedals. He told me not to use Boss, because my tone is "too important for that".

I must be missing something, because I think my tone is pretty good. Better than my actual playing, at least.

10. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

You're not missing anything if you're happy with YOUR tone.

I don't think this pedal will get the attention it deserves because it sells for $159, which means it is competing with a lot of boutique pedals. I'm sure Boss spent a lot on R&D in developing it, but I think the price will prevent it from being as popular as it could be.

JustABluesGuy and nocastermike like this.
  11. p8t8r

p8t8r Tele-Meister

I know someone who did :)

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  12. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

i SAW A DEMO BY PETE THORN , HE PLUGGED INTO HIS MARSHALL PLAYED, plugged in to revival drive and set to sound very very close to his amp sound
    here's the demo, aint science grand.

Shuster likes this.
  13. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

How does a $650 pedal end up it a thread about a Boss pedal? Is this TGP? o_O

14. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Pete is awesome. That is a good representation of the OD-1x, but Pete makes everything sound great.

15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know what the Boss x pedals are but my first overdrive pedal was a Boss od-1 and I loved it. I just don't know if I would feel the same way today about it after using so many others since then and having a completely different rig now. Are these X pedals cheaper than buying mij boss pedals today?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  16. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

The "X" pedals employ Boss' Multi-Dimensional Processing, aka "MDP". I don't fully understand it, but from what I gather it's clipping various frequency ranges in different ways to optimize clarity.
    All I can tell you is that it really works. The low end doesn't fall apart and the high notes sing.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, i'll have to try them out.

18. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Close your eyes and just think Donner, you'll live;)

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  19. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

I’ll need to bone up on the OD-1x. I use an Analogman modded OD-1 and love it.

20. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

I have an OD-1X on the bench right now - I should really throw it back on the board and A/B it again with the BD-2w I'm using right now.

There's some good information on the MDP technology and what it does here:
    https://www.boss.info/us/promos/mdp_deep_dive/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.