Boss Nextone Amps - Interesting

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Plumber, Nov 15, 2018.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Okay, my memory connected "tweed" to Roland amps with Tube Logic, and I mentioned that earlier. My reference wasn't directly to the Nextone series but the BC series. I asked if anyone was hearing something in the Nextone 6L6 or 6V6 settings comparable to the tone of the BC amps. Since I may have inadvertently contributed to all this discussion about tweed, I decided to do a Google search for a press release on the BC amps in 2014. I found this:

The emphasis in the above quote is of course mine. So Roland's Tube Logic was patterned after "tweed-era tube amps." Having never owned a FMIC amp, that doesn't conjure up specific amps in my mind. And since I've never heard either a BC amp or a Nextone in person, I'm just trying to get a general sense of the tone of the new amp line, and how it differs from or compares to the Blues Cube line.

cgtrman likes this.
  2. LGOberean

I noticed that, too. Just a few weeks ago, I received in the mail Sweetwater's ProGear catalog, Vol. 105, Winter 2019. I didn't look up the prices on the Blues Cube amps at the time, but after I saw this discussion a day or two ago, I did. Well, actually I first just did a search for the amps on Sweetwater's website, and saw that the BC Stage was $749.99, the Artist, $949.99. That struck me as higher than I remembered. So I got curious, and compared those prices to those listed in the catalog. There, on page 100, Sweetwater's listed prices were $699.99 (BCS) and $899.99 (BCA). So the price bump is very recent, and I agree it must be because of the announcement of the Nextone series.

3. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

In Canada they did a $100 bump up on the Blues Cubes.
    I'm not a marketing guru,so I have no idea why.

4. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

I think if they brought all that Tube Logic Tone Capsules into one unit would be beneficial. EJ Tone capsule is based on both Eric Johnsons Plexi Marshall amp from 1969, and his Fender Twin. Would be great if one could nail that in the software for Nextone, too, as well as NYC Blues Tone Capsule and the rest of them.

EJ Tone Capsule captures special spring reverb settings to at EJ's Twins, or his separate reverb tank...

I for one, missed the BCAs lower wattage series which did not have the Capsule ability, neither the EFX send/return thing. You had to use the Artist series from 80w and up. Heavy beasts. I would go for the 40W Nextone in that case.

5. cgtrman

cgtrman TDPRI Member

I thought the stock BCA was great but I preferred the sound (clean channel esp) with the UBTC. Hoping the new Nextone will sound very similar.

LGOberean and Lef T like this.
  6. CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible Tele-Meister

So...has anybody played one of these yet?

7. cgtrman

cgtrman TDPRI Member

Mine doesn't ship until Dec 7th.

8. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

Any thoughts on choosing between Stage and Artist? Weight advantage (and price, obviously) go to Stage, but there has to be a reason for the $200 price difference. Is it headroom? Bass? Ninety-five percent of my playing will be at home, and I want to keep my hearing.

(I asked the same question at TGP, but figure there's a different set here -- older, wiser, possibly more tolerant -- and wanted to hear from as many perspectives as possible.)

9. cgtrman

cgtrman TDPRI Member

I think it's simply more watts and a bigger cab is the only difference. I can tell the 40 watts are a very loud 40 watts if it's anything like the BC amps.

10. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

They’re like a Roland Blues Cube. I have the Hot Boss Drive/KT66 Tube logic based circuit. This new item allows you to change power tube emulations, and is loaded w effects. I prefer my amps to be unfussy, as I use pedals.

11. LGOberean

Not that I’m buying right now, and of course, I can only answer for me, but I’ll play along (so to speak :twisted:).

The more I think about it, the more conflicted I become. If I’m remembering the specs right, the amp circuits, the speaker and the effects are all the same, while the cabinet size, weight and wattage output are different, as is also the price, of course. At first, I was leaning towards the Stage, and I think I’ve already even said as much in this thread. Mainly because it would be lighter on my back and on my bank account.

But I could also easily be tempted to go with the Artist. If 40 watts is plenty for a small gig or practice, the Artist set to “Half” on the Power Control will get you there. But in a situation where 80 watts are needed in a hall or outdoor setting, you’d have it with the Artist. And while lighter and smaller is an advantage, the difference is minimal. The Artist is only about two inches taller and about three inches wider than the Stage. And although the Artist is about 6 lbs. heavier, it weighs just a little under 36 lbs. So it’s certainly not in the Twin, AC30 or JC-120 category, and it even weighs like 5-6 lbs. less than an HRD or DRRI or a Peavey Bandit. The Artist’s bigger cabinet might translate into a perceived better bass response/tone/loudness.

So which one would I choose? Like I said, I’m conflicted. I guess the only real advantage the Artist has is that it will be louder, and I’m only playing one venue right now where I think the 80W/bigger cabinet might make a difference. And even then, the Stage has a Line Out if I need to send it to a PA. I guess the Artist doesn’t seem to be quite worth another $200 to me, so I guess I’m still leaning towards the Stage.

Lef T likes this.
  12. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

My question too. But even the Artist is 14 lbs. lighter than the AC15 I was planning to buy before these came out.

13. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

Artist has a larger cab, more power (80w), effects loop, presence control, tremolo and can use the GA-FC foot controller which controls boost, tremolo, effects loop, and channel switching. I've never played the Stage so I can't comment on the tonal difference.

14. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

I've read two owner reviews so far on the Nextone Stage and both people are not impressed.
    One is returning his and one is putting his on Craigslist.
    One of the players really likes his BCA,but says the Nextone Stage is not even as loud as a Blues Jr. or Blues Cube Hot.
    Neither seemed overly impressed with the sounds either.
    Maybe you should just keep rocking the BCA.

15. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

Yeah I’ve been following the reviews over at the gearpage too. The consensus appears to be “close but no cigar”. Just as well as I had recently invested in a nice amp cover for my BCA. Now, my hope is that the Nextone craze will lower the used prices of the Katana head, which I’ve wanted to try for while. :D

Lef T likes this.
  16. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

Saw these come out and caused me to pause. However, I’ve been wanting to get an AC15 for a while. I decided to get the AC15 and glad I did.

My Champion 40 is fine for my SS experience. It has all types of amps built in.

Maybe I don’t fully understand the Nextone. It seems to me, switching a knob that identifies a tube type isn’t much different than switching a knob that identifies an amp type.

The Champion is easy to use and doesn’t need to call connect to a computer. My AC15 is the same.

17. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

It's interesting. I've looked at some of the review videos for the Nextone - like the one below - and it sounds pretty good to me, especially the EL84 power amp setting. As for some of the negative reviews at the Gearpage - first, they all tried the 40W Stage rather than the 80W Artist. I think the bigger cab and additional power would be a plus. Second, these are brand new amps - I would think you would want to break the speaker in a bit before passing final judgement. And third, everyone has different tastes, and who knows the Nextone may tick all the boxes after all. Right now, my BCA isn't going anywhere, but I'll check to see if my local guitar shop gets any Nextone amps in the next month so I can try it out in person.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    tdu likes this.
  18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything that really moves me here. Truth be told I'm starting to GAS for a handwired 5e8a clone now...and the cycle continues!

19. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

The 80W Artist weighs only 35lbs....That's heavy? Not for me. That's lightweight for an 80W combo of you ask me.

LGOberean likes this.
  20. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Agreed.
    Now a Twin Reverb......that's heavy.

LGOberean and MatsEriksson like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.